BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm itching for another ED already, so hopefully posting will pass the time. I just recalled the curb side check in at MUC for LH, but haven't seen it mentioned, so I thought I would.

Lufthansa offers curb side check in for Business and First class. This may also extend the UAL/Star Alliance priority level members. So, if you have an afternoon flight, and don't want to rush the drop off process, worry about traffic, or even be waiting around the airport too long, you may want to consider doing a morning check in at the curb (make sure of LH check in times), then drive to MADA for the dropoff, then S-bahn it into town for some last minute shopping before going to the airport. The schedules will be very predictable.

This worked out well for my wife and I. My wife had a 11am flight, and I had a 3pm flight (the drawbacks of tickets using miles). I dropped her off, we both checked in for our flights, and then I went to MADA and did my shopping. I had enough time to visit the ALDI near MADA, and did an hour of clothes shopping in Marienplatz with plenty of time. I just bought a day pass which allowed unlimited travel for the day.

Ah, when will my next ED be...

Anyone considering a new 5er before the September 1 price rise like I am?

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Thanks for the tip ChrisChueng - we are flying business (the SF-MUC plane only has Economy and Business, so technically it is first) in Oct. Morever, I am star gold!

·
Retired Official Welcomer
2018 M4 Competition Package•2019 540i MSport
8,360 Posts
chrischeung said:
Anyone considering a new 5er before the September 1 price rise like I am?
That would be me. :D

·
Powder Days
1,998 Posts
When we dropped off at Frankfurt on our 05 ED, you could check your bags the night before on Lufthansa. An even better deal!, :thumbup:

Cheers

·
Freude am Fahren
19,701 Posts
X3 Skier said:
When we dropped off at Frankfurt on our 05 ED, you could check your bags the night before on Lufthansa.
If you have to actually CHECK bags. :D

On my trip home, we had 7 bags as carry on (2 rollerboards, 2 smaller Tumi bags, "overflow" bag with wine and cakes from Austria, and two smaller bags).

·
Registered
8,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd check on that

am_ver said:
Thanks for the tip ChrisChueng - we are flying business (the SF-MUC plane only has Economy and Business, so technically it is first) in Oct. Morever, I am star gold!
I think the SFO-MUC direct flight also has First class as well. I took First from MUC-SFO, and it would be hard to imagine that LH doesn't offer First class round trip. I think the difference is only 20K miles? My other trip was First from SFO-FRA then onto Paris.

But, LH First is not really that much to write home about. I'd rate Singapore, Qantas, Cathay, American, British etc. ahead of them. The seats fold flat, but the seats themselves are not flat. From personal experience, I have found the service on Cathay business to be better than Lufthansa First. Also, in Business, they may serve the food more quickly. Sometimes on a flight you want to eat and go to sleep/read/watch a movie - a drawn out 1.5 hour meal in the air is different and ritzy, but perhaps a little OTT, and offer not much more than entertainment value.

·
Freude am Fahren
19,701 Posts
chrischeung said:
But, LH First is not really that much to write home about. I'd rate Singapore, Qantas, Cathay, American, British etc. ahead of them. The seats fold flat, but the seats themselves are not flat. From personal experience, I have found the service on Cathay business to be better than Lufthansa First.
Having flown on Lufthansa, AA, and BA in first, I would agree. All in all, I have found AA's to be the best; the flagship suites on the 777 are the most comfortable both for sleeping or doing a little work if need be. This past trip I took AA to LHR and continued on BA to MUC and wasn't disappointed.

chrischeung said:
Also, in Business, they may serve the food more quickly.
American offers an option in first class where you can dine at any time you wish, with all courses (and there are many) brought at once instead of individually. I did this going over when I flew over 2 weeks ago and was then able to go sleep shortly thereafter.

·
Registered
424 Posts
chrischeung said:
I think the SFO-MUC direct flight also has First class as well. I took First from MUC-SFO, and it would be hard to imagine that LH doesn't offer First class round trip. I think the difference is only 20K miles? My other trip was First from SFO-FRA then onto Paris.

But, LH First is not really that much to write home about. I'd rate Singapore, Qantas, Cathay, American, British etc. ahead of them. The seats fold flat, but the seats themselves are not flat. From personal experience, I have found the service on Cathay business to be better than Lufthansa First. Also, in Business, they may serve the food more quickly. Sometimes on a flight you want to eat and go to sleep/read/watch a movie - a drawn out 1.5 hour meal in the air is different and ritzy, but perhaps a little OTT, and offer not much more than entertainment value.
the first class on LH is not that good as the others only because of the 747s that they are mainly using. The 777 has better comfort and different design in first. Newer plane, better service

·
Registered
8,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are you sure?

horatiub said:
the first class on LH is not that good as the others only because of the 747s that they are mainly using. The 777 has better comfort and different design in first. Newer plane, better service
I took the A340 from MUC-SFO, and the 747 from SFO-FRA. The seats were the same for me, and the design and layout looked the same. Its just a different seating configuration - 1-2-1 vs 2-2. The 747 uses the upper deck and has more storage area on the side, and if you get the 3rd row, you have untouchable leg room.

I checked their website. They make no mention about the 777 being different for First class. Are you sure its not Business class that you are comparing? Actually, I just looked - do their 777s even offer First?

http://www.lufthansa.com/online/portal/lh/us/info_services/on_board?l=en&nodeid=781029

·
Freude am Fahren
19,701 Posts
Seats will vary by airline and aircraft but there is no reason that the A340 and the B747 couldn't have the same seats in first class.

American only has Flagship Suites in FC on the 777; the 767-300s that fly to Europe have a two-class configuration (no FC) and AA is introducing new flat seating this fall for BC on those aircraft.

FC seating on AA's domestic 767-200 fleet (which is also 3-class) is entirely different (i.e. no Flagship Suites or anything approaching that).

·
Registered
424 Posts
chrischeung said:
I took the A340 from MUC-SFO, and the 747 from SFO-FRA. The seats were the same for me, and the design and layout looked the same. Its just a different seating configuration - 1-2-1 vs 2-2. The 747 uses the upper deck and has more storage area on the side, and if you get the 3rd row, you have untouchable leg room.

I checked their website. They make no mention about the 777 being different for First class. Are you sure its not Business class that you are comparing? Actually, I just looked - do their 777s even offer First?

http://www.lufthansa.com/online/portal/lh/us/info_services/on_board?l=en&nodeid=781029
I am 100% positive that the seats are different. Never flown on a 777 on LH, but on UA, the configuration is 1-2-1. And their seats, trust me, are better than the 747 or 340. And I am not sure if LH offers first in their 777.

·
Powder Days
1,998 Posts
Jspira said:
If you have to actually CHECK bags. :D

On my trip home, we had 7 bags as carry on (2 rollerboards, 2 smaller Tumi bags, "overflow" bag with wine and cakes from Austria, and two smaller bags).
And that's for how many people? :dunno: Based on the "Rule", that's for four people (2+2+2+1)

The gate dragons at most places I fly from are getting more strict about the number of things carried on the airplane. I only carry two at most (one rolling back pack and one day pack and NEVER check anything (unless traveling with my wife when all bets are off).

I just read an article in the Wall Street Journal today that the major US arilines like United and American have even sent a message to the Gate Agents to reinforce the "Rule" which is "one Roll-A-Board and one Personal Item". :(

Just a warning to those who may get to check something they may have thought they were going to carry on.

Of course there are "Rules" for the back of the airplane and there are "Rules" for the front of the airplane. :D

Cheers

·
Freude am Fahren
19,701 Posts
X3 Skier said:
And that's for how many people? :dunno: Based on the "Rule", that's for four people (2+2+2+1)

The gate dragons at most places I fly from are getting more strict about the number of things carried on the airplane. I only carry two at most (one rolling back pack and one day pack and NEVER check anything (unless traveling with my wife when all bets are off).

I just read an article in the Wall Street Journal today that the major US arilines like United and American have even sent a message to the Gate Agents to reinforce the "Rule" which is "one Roll-A-Board and one Personal Item". :(

Just a warning to those who may get to check something they may have thought they were going to carry on.

Of course there are "Rules" for the back of the airplane and there are "Rules" for the front of the airplane. :D

Cheers
Ja, I read the article also. I knew I was stretching things to the max.

And you are right, there are (for all intents and purposes) rules for the front and rules for the back. On the 777, each FC seat gets a huge overhead bin and an additional storage compartment within the Flagship Suite. So I wasn't taking away any space from anyone either.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
IMO Virgin is the strictest with carry on bags. They make you weigh the bag at the time of check in - if the bag weighs more than 6 kgs they are sweet enough to check it in for you.

The SF-MUC-SF (A340) flt on LH only has coach and Business, we are in 2 A and C, so there cannot be a section in front. Maybe they have changed the aircraft since u made your trip.

X3 Skier said:

Cheers

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.