BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm stuck in a crappy situation where the only dealer in my area with a half-way decent reputation seems to be totally ignorant about ED. For example when I first approached them they started going through their computer to find a modifiable car in their allocation that "BMW might hold onto in Germany for a little while so you can go over and drive it before they deliver." I still have not been able to convince them that the car doesn't come out of their allocation. :mad: Before I either pull out all my hair or give up, anybody have any suggestions for dealing with a clueless dealer? Or should I just go elsewhere?

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
fundman said:
I'm stuck in a crappy situation where the only dealer in my area with a half-way decent reputation seems to be totally ignorant about ED. For example when I first approached them they started going through their computer to find a modifiable car in their allocation that "BMW might hold onto in Germany for a little while so you can go over and drive it before they deliver." I still have not been able to convince them that the car doesn't come out of their allocation. :mad: Before I either pull out all my hair or give up, anybody have any suggestions for dealing with a clueless dealer? Or should I just go elsewhere?
Which model are we talking about here?

·
Registered
212 Posts
fundman said:
Why buy the car from them if they are so crappy. Buy the car from someone that is ED knowledgable. You can go to this dealership for service since they are close to where you stay. NE has a lot of good ED dealers who will work out a great deal.

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
I live in middle California...my ED dealer is in Oregon! Keep calling dealers in your area until you find one that will do a ED for you. It'll be worth the hassle to drive a bit to get your car when it comes in or you can arrange for a "courtesy delivery" to a local dealer.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
arnolds said:
Which model are we talking about here?
We're talking about an E90 330i. I'm willing to go elsewhere to buy, the problem is that the dealers in my area will only service cars that they sold (apparently BMWNA is fine with this policy). So if I buy elsewhere, I'm going to have to drive to a dealer at least 45 minutes away for service.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
fundman said:
We're talking about an E90 330i. I'm willing to go elsewhere to buy, the problem is that the dealers in my area will only service cars that they sold (apparently BMWNA is fine with this policy). So if I buy elsewhere, I'm going to have to drive to a dealer at least 45 minutes away for service.
Would you like to name the dealer? That's an odd policy. Are you sure you didn't mean, they won't provide a loaner for you during service if you didn't buy the car from them? That policy is widespread, the one you are describing is ridiculous from a financial standpoint.

·
Registered
162 Posts
fundman said:
You have PM

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
I agree with Arn, that is pretty short-sighted of a dealer to not service your car...they are throwing future money down the drain. What if you just moved to the area...will they refuse your car because you bought it elsewhere in that case??? I highly doubt it....

·
Registered
668 Posts
fundman said:
I think you are joking or someone got something wrong. Servicing a car is money for the dealership either during warranty or out of it. It's not their good will.
If this is in fact the case, I would call BMWNA and let them know about it as I'm sure this would be (if true which I doubt) a major breach of the dealership-BMWNA contract.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
arnolds said:
Would you like to name the dealer? That's an odd policy. Are you sure you didn't mean, they won't provide a loaner for you during service if you didn't buy the car from them? That policy is widespread, the one you are describing is ridiculous from a financial standpoint.
Don't want to piss them off while still trying to deal, but what the hell ... there is an outfit called the Ryan Group that owns 3 dealerships in Northern NJ. I first read of their policy on this board and then confirmed it with a call. They will only service cars purchased from one of the 3 affiliated dealerships, if you purchased elsewhere they "might take your car on a space available basis, but that wait is usually 6 weeks or more." I didn't bother to ask, but given that policy - and the fact that they like to tout their 9-5 shuttle for service customers - I'd guess that even if you bought your car from them, you'd be lucky to ever get a loaner. Doesn't make alot of financial sense until you see their set-ups - they have tiny service shops and really tiny lots that are always overfull, so they probably have all the service volume they can handle and no room to expand.

I have 2 of these Ryan dealerships within 15 minutes of me, but I'll have to drive 45 minutes to reach a non-Ryan dealership.

D

·
Registered
214 Posts
When I was first looking for an E90, I called a few local dealers-

Me-I am interested in doing an European Delivery on an E90.
Dealer-We don't sell Mercedes.
Me-Click.

I kept looking, and finally found a dealer that hadn't done ED before, but was willing to work with me. I agree with the previous posts-keep looking. Best of luck. :thumbup:

·
BMW Fahrer
4,675 Posts
fundman said:
Don't want to piss them off while still trying to deal, but what the hell ... there is an outfit called the Ryan Group that owns 3 dealerships in Northern NJ. I first read of their policy on this board and then confirmed it with a call. They will only service cars purchased from one of the 3 affiliated dealerships, if you purchased elsewhere they "might take your car on a space available basis, but that wait is usually 6 weeks or more." I didn't bother to ask, but given that policy - and the fact that they like to tout their 9-5 shuttle for service customers - I'd guess that even if you bought your car from them, you'd be lucky to ever get a loaner. Doesn't make alot of financial sense until you see their set-ups - they have tiny service shops and really tiny lots that are always overfull, so they probably have all the service volume they can handle and no room to expand.

I have 2 of these Ryan dealerships within 15 minutes of me, but I'll have to drive 45 minutes to reach a non-Ryan dealership.

D
Run - don't walk - away! This policy is stupid, immoral, illegal - any other "i" words you care to mention... They cannot refuse you service in good faith - so they came up with this lame policy of making you wait an inordinate amount of time for one... I would never do business with people like that.

- OR -

Call them, ask to speak to the general manager and tell him that their service policy and lack of ED knowledge is about to loose them a customer. Then see what he has to say - maybe he'll make you a deal you cannot refuse.

If not, go someplace else. I got this advice from other, more experienced posters on these boards, so I'm passing it along.

Good luck,

adc
03 330 ZHP

·
Registered
512 Posts
fundman said:
When I was going around gettng quotes for an ED car back in July, 2002 (this was for a 2003 325xiT), I found that Morristown BMW & Flemingtion BMW did not really wnat anything to do with ED.

In Northern NJ, I found that JMK, Paul Miller, and the ones in Denville and on Rt 22 in Hunterdon County were willing to do ED. I did not try Open Road in Edison. I wound up with JMK, as it is the closest to me & is between my home & work (as long as I take Rt 22 instead of I-78, which isn't very often)

·
Premium Member
7,705 Posts
fundman said:

D
Fundman,
You need to stop wasting your time w/ dealers who don't know what the hell they are doing w/ ED. Really.... if you follow thru, I promise you will run into another brick wall soon. If you have to buy out if area DO IT!! I agree w/ what Agent 99 said.

If you need killer deal in the east coast for dealer recommedation please email me at : [email protected]

cheers,

beewang

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
fundman said:

D
Bought 2 BMW's from Open Road(Ryan) and changed to JMK in Springfield,the best move I made.I just did a ED through them (530i) in Jan.They go out of there way to accommodate you.I had all my service work done on my 01 330ci by them,never had a problem,they are the best.If you want more info,PM me.
chers
vern

·
E30,840i,F80 M3comp,640GT
1,094 Posts
Dude, Carbone BMW up in Utica will hook you up. Brian Secord took the place of Bimmerfest's Ted Walawender when Ted became the manager at the Honda dealership.

I did ED with them, despite living in NH at the time. It was flawless.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
vern said:
Bought 2 BMW's from Open Road(Ryan) and changed to JMK in Springfield,the best move I made.I just did a ED through them (530i) in Jan.They go out of there way to accommodate you.I had all my service work done on my 01 330ci by them,never had a problem,they are the best.If you want more info,PM me.
chers
vern
Incidentally, Open-Road in Edison is among the Ryan dealerships and they have ALWAYS given me a loaner car (let alone taking care of servicing the car) even though I didn't buy the car there.

The policy is B.S. --I think they just want the option to turn people away that have serious issues with their BMW due to age or what not, but not if its within warranty period, where they can make a quick & easy buck.

I agree with vern about buying there: I wouldn't do it. Open-Road is ALREADY sorry about that, TWICE. I also agree with the others that something isn't right...there's a major violation going on if they're not servicing new BMWs under warranty.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Fundman, RUN do not walk away from these dealers. As others have said, it will be well worth your time to find a reputable dealer. Driving 45 minutes is a small price to pay to have it done right. ED is such an fantastic experience and you don't want it spoiled by some bone-headed dealer.

Bee is completely right - don't waste your time with them. It will be a disaster. Make sure these bozos know why you are taking your business elsewhere and then do just that.

My dealers (for two different makes) are 35 and 45 minutes away - I look forward to getting to drive this extra distance!

We look forward to your follow-up as well as the happy ending to your trip.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I did my first 3 ED through the closest dealer to me here in St. Louis. I thought I'd patronize the local boys and throw some business their way. Each time I went in I had a different salesperson just due to changes in personnel. So each time I had to basically educate a new salesperson on the paperwork routine. But they were fairly game and they did deal with me on price. But there were always a few issues during the whole thing that got my goat. The re-delivery process was always pretty sub-standard. No clean car, no gas, etc. Just: "here's your car." They messed up the paperwork twice and if it weren't for my knowledge on the matter could have materially screwed up the delivery.

For my most recent ED I decided to go across the river to Newbold BMW in O'Fallon, Illinois. These guys did not have a wealth of experience either with ED but they played along well enough and we got the thing done with minimal stress. I think I had to make one extra trip out there to sign some papers, but all in all easy enough. What was nice was during one of the trips out there they took the time to take in my current BMW at the last minute to lube the door handles and even gave it a quick cleaning.

What makes Newbold stand out is the redelivery process. It was awesome. Car looks better than new, full of gas, etc. I'm very pleased.

One funny thing though, when I went over yesterday to pick up my car I was pointing out to my salesman (Terry Oliver) that I needed a copy of my purchase order for the CCA rebate. He had no idea what it was!!

·
Registered
668 Posts
jl5555 said:
I did my first 3 ED through the closest dealer to me here in St. Louis. I thought I'd patronize the local boys and throw some business their way. Each time I went in I had a different salesperson just due to changes in personnel. So each time I had to basically educate a new salesperson on the paperwork routine. But they were fairly game and they did deal with me on price. But there were always a few issues during the whole thing that got my goat. The re-delivery process was always pretty sub-standard. No clean car, no gas, etc. Just: "here's your car." They messed up the paperwork twice and if it weren't for my knowledge on the matter could have materially screwed up the delivery.

For my most recent ED I decided to go across the river to Newbold BMW in O'Fallon, Illinois. These guys did not have a wealth of experience either with ED but they played along well enough and we got the thing done with minimal stress. I think I had to make one extra trip out there to sign some papers, but all in all easy enough. What was nice was during one of the trips out there they took the time to take in my current BMW at the last minute to lube the door handles and even gave it a quick cleaning.

What makes Newbold stand out is the redelivery process. It was awesome. Car looks better than new, full of gas, etc. I'm very pleased.

One funny thing though, when I went over yesterday to pick up my car I was pointing out to my salesman (Terry Oliver) that I needed a copy of my purchase order for the CCA rebate. He had no idea what it was!!
Same here about CCA. So was my salesperson even though he worked there for years. I find that most salespeople, irregardless of what they are selling, don't really know much about the product. Few dealers we have on this board are a great exception to this rule but for the most part they don't have a freakin clue and really don't want to learn. You'll probably know more about BMWs if you spend 15 minutes on the Internet than an average salesman in his career.
I was last week at BMWSF picking some little part and one of them approached me. I tried to get rid of him by saying that I'll wait for the new 3 series M3 in the sedan form thank you very much. He said that BMW never did nor would they ever produce M3 sedan because it is a "sports car" and needs to be coupe only. When I mentioned E36 he said he was not familiar with this model. I said you know the 3 series before the current one - guess what his reply was? Oh, I didn't work here then.... I didn't know whether I should laugh or cry so I just left.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.