Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any suggestions?

I'm looking for tires for a 2002 325Ci 225/45/17"s all the way around.

I don't have rims for them so I guess I would accept something else that fit on the car with a different profile / size if necessary. I was told no advantage to 18"s in terms of performance....

Thanks in advance.

·
Addicted To Autocross
191 Posts
I personally use Kuhmo VictorRacer V700s. Bang for your buck. They run around $138 for the size you're interested. I use 225s in front and 245s in the rear on my 17" OEMs. I'm trying to run 245s all around when I get some new wheels. The VictoRacers have a treadwear rating of 50. I only use them for events. I have 18" rims for regular driving.

Kuhmos are very popular for autocrossers here in CA. At the level I'm at they're perfect. Whole different driving experience. They grip alot better and I have more confidence in taking turns and sweepers at higher speeds. At the national level and those who are really serious however, Hoosiers seem to be the tire of choice.

·
TMS Grand-AM Cup Crew
457 Posts
Race Tires

I think mine are called Advans, made by Yokohama. They worked great. They are loud, but stuck so much better than my Contis. I know some people who liked the Ecstas as well.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The Kuhmo victoracer V700 has been the budget solution for a long time now - but still very respectable performance. It's what I've used since I switched to R compound for DE weekends.

Hoosiers are still fastest, but they're not steel belted so are very risky to drive on the street - much more vulnerable to punctures.

Toyo RA-1 are very well spoken of by the SCCA guys I know who have significant track time on them as compared to Kuhmos. harder to buy since TireRack doesn't carry them, though :(

It's either the Pilot Cup Sports or the new Pirelli Corsa which is more expensive, but supposed to wear like *iron* - but still really good performance. Do a search on http://forums.rennlist.com in the 993 section to find a LOT of discussion about tires.

·
Fibrenew Guy in Raleigh
601 Posts
I'm using Toyo Proxes RA1 - they are DOT legal and you can drive to and from the track on them which is handy. Just had one track event with them, so not enough experience yet, but if they are as good as my street Proxes T1-S, I'll LOVE them.

·
Registered
170 Posts
For a beginner R, the Yokohama A032R is a good choice. Of all the Rs, the A032Rs provide the most feedback and warning before it lets go (very similar to a street tire).

Hoosiers are the stickiest R out there, but as a trade off, the life of the tires are very short and are really way too expensive to beat up on for lapping days. They are also the lightest Rs out there as well.

I could go on and on, but I suggest you run on street tires first. Then after having a good amount of seat time under your belt, make the switch to Rs. When doing so, I would suggest the A032Rs or the Toyo RA1s. However, the Toyos are hard to find. On the other hand, you can obtain the other Rs through the Tire Rack which provides a heat cycling service that I highly recommend.

I track my car a lot and I run Yokos and Toyos. The Hoosiers were great but too expensive for as much tracking as I do. :yikes: :D

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Watch out Sinclair, that delivery truck behind you is about to chase you down in your sig. picture!

·
Fibrenew Guy in Raleigh
601 Posts
The HACK said:
Watch out Sinclair, that delivery truck behind you is about to chase you down in your sig. picture!
BAHAHAHA. Those things sure aren't fast in a straight line, but when you hit the twisties, FUGEDABOUDIT.

·
3,762 Posts
Looks like that moving van is hot on your tail. he took the corner a little wide, though. Heading for the dirt... :lmao:

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Nah, he's just setting up a four wheel drift and he's going to power out of that corner like a bat out of hell.

Watch out for those delivery truck drivers man.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts