BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have tried to searching for a fix to my climate control problem to no avail. :eek:

The cables that connect to my S52's climate control dial keep getting stuck in one posistion (usually full cold) if they sit there for a while. When I try and twist the dial clockwise in an effort to introduce some warm air, the connected control cables come loose and leave my car stuck in the full heat range. This particularly sucks because I live in Florida. Heh.

I had this problem fixed previously before (with a temporary fix it seems) at the dealer about a month ago. So, is this a common problem with the Z3's? I would like to learn how to fix it myself but I can't seem to find any good information yet. Any info from you guys would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, my WRX is a wagon as well. Power is currently 243 whp and 249 ft-lbs on my subie. Soon I hope to add some forced induction to the MCoupe with some vf-engineering bits. Wagons should never be faster than slick looking cars such as the MCoupe, but at this time it is. Hopefully not for long though... I'm just having trouble convincing the wife that supercharging is a necessity not a want. ;) But anyway, back to the point.

I noticed that the weak point of my climate control is the little cam assembly that is controled by the climate control dial. The little plastic knob off the "cam assembly" (or whatever you call it) that slides around on the dial has broken off again. This is the second time within 2 months.

Is this a common design flaw with the Z3's, or am I just alone here? I am still having no luck finding some good modification info to remedy this problem. What have you guys found? Thanks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As it turns out, the cable is getting stuck at the evaporator (around the glove box) and it is causing undue stress on the plastic cam part that connects the climate control dial to the cable. This extra stress breaks the plastic cam piece leaving me with no control with the dial. Hopefully they will fix the car under warranty (they may actually make me pay ~ $490 for it, heh) We will see, wish me luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts