BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Is this normal? Should I take it in?
No... Usually points to a catalytic converter issue. I remember getting a recall for sulfur smelling exhaust on a 1986 Sable we had. IIRC the solution was to replace the cats. Will the cause of the smell damage the converter(s)? Don't know.

·
Premium Member
2018 540i MSport
8,817 Posts
Deleted - incorrect reply.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Is this normal? Should I take it in?
No... Usually points to a catalytic converter issue. I remember getting a recall for sulfur smelling exhaust on a 1986 Sable we had. IIRC the solution was to replace the cats. Will the cause of the smell damage the converter(s)? Don't know.
Will take it in thanks for input!

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Called advisor to make appt he says it's usually fuel additives that cause the smell

Said shell gas is a culprit

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Called advisor to make appt he says it's usually fuel additives that cause the smell

Said shell gas is a culprit
Hmmmmm..... Interesting. I do hope my initial assessment from 2K miles away is wrong!

·
Banned
183 Posts
does it happen only when you drive aggressively (etc full throttle) or always

do you rev the car to high rpm often or infrequently? smelling it, even if the smell is strong after doing a full throttle pull for the first time in a while is normal.

do you have any codes, and what is your mileage? what sort of fuel are you using?

if you are always smelling it, either you cats are clogged/ becoming clogged or you may be running rich due to fouled o2 sensors, leaking injectors, etc.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No codes but actually I never checked ... don't have a scanner

Has 15,000 miles on odo

Gentle driving not aggressive ... still smell it, and it's intermittent ... sometimes smells other times doesn't

I go through one quart of oil every 3000 miles

I change gas stations companies often .. I don't only go to shell for instance; 91-93 octane always

No dash warnings

Thanks for help!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts