BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, I wrote a post saying that I'm considering to go with narrow wheels/tires (205/55/17s) in order to have a more comfortable ride and avoid tramlining. After seeing the responses here, I also want to consider the idea of going with the Sumitomo HTR+ tires and mounting them on my existing M68 wheels.

If anyone here has the Sumitomo HTR+ tires, I would appreciate if you could share your impressions of them, the driving feel, and whether or not they're prone to tramlining. Although they're reasonably priced, they seem like a very competent performance A/S tire.

Thanks,
PG

·
10,856 Posts
Well, you've seen my comments. :p

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for suggesting them. The test results for them on tirerack.com are very favorable. I just wonder what these tires are like, in terms of ride comfort, in the 225/45/17 and 245/40/17 size.

I currently have Contisports and want to make sure that the new tires I get have better ride comfort and exhibit less tramlining.

Nick325xiT 5spd said:
Well, you've seen my comments. :p

·
TMS Grand-AM Cup Crew
457 Posts
Have them in my room

I just had these Sumitomos mounted up on my M68s and I am waiting till spring to put them on.
I spoke to a few board members and they seemed to love them.

You will have to wait till the ice melts before I can evaluate them.

·
TMS Grand-AM Cup Crew
457 Posts
Re: Have them in my room

PunchIt said:
I just had these Sumitomos mounted up on my M68s and I am waiting till spring to put them on.
My mistake, I just realized I bought the HTR Z II tires which are a "Ultra High Performance" tire.

Sorry

·
Here since day one
7,183 Posts
PG, I think the Conti's really don't tramline THAT much and they are very quiet . . . you should try out the Mich Pilot sports and then you'll be loving the Conti's in comparsion.
The pilots are loud and tramline like crazy though they are still the best overall tires I've ever had . . .

For the size your looking for, aren't the conti's consider quiet ?

·
Lap Dog
1,216 Posts
Re: Re: Have them in my room

PunchIt said:
My mistake, I just realized I bought the HTR Z II tires which are a "Ultra High Performance" tire.

Sorry
I'm glad you did!!! There's a big difference between the HTR Z II and the HTR +. I've had the HTR Z II for 12K miles and I've been very happy with them.

·
Registered
33 Posts
you get what you pay for....

there's a BIG difference between the HTR ZII tires and the HTR+. The HTR+ are "performance all season tires". I got the HTR + in the stock sizes (245 17 rear 225 17 front). I've put about 10,000 miles on them since.

My Impressions:
These tires took awhile to "scuff in". They were extremely "greasy" and dangerous for the first 500 miles or so. The first day I got them, I would have crashed were it not for the DSC (I took an onramp that was never a problem with the stock Dunlop tires and the rear broke loose!).

The worst aspect of these tires is the turn-in is just plain lousy. I think it's because of a lack of sidewall stiffness or maybe the more pliable rubber compound required so they stay grippy in the cold and snow. I still feel like someboy stole my racecar away from me with these tires. Steering used to be razor sharp and immediate with the summer tires, now there's a noticeable delay from when you turn the wheel and when the car responds.

I have to say now that they've worn a bit that ultimate grip seems to be pretty good in the dry but i'm afraid to really push it after my incident. Grip in the wet is surprisingly BAD for an all season tire. Even though we've had lots and lots of snow, i haven't tried them in it b/c my baby stays parked when the white stuff flies.

If you're after comfort, the ride and noise SEEM to be better than the stock dunlops but those tires were blasted when I took them off so I can't compare new tire vs new tire.

Even though the tire rack reviews were good, the guys at the tire shop that installed them for me sneered at the sumis and told me to "watch out in the rain". at the time, i thought that maybe they were just pissed i didn't buy the 200$/per tire michelin's they were trying to sell me, but in the end i guess they were right.

You get alot of tire for 99 bucks and on any other car or for anyone that doesn't drive like i do, they'd be a great buy. For me, however, I won't be buying them again.

·
Addicted
1,250 Posts
I have HTR + on mine as well. They don't tramline hardly at all and the ride quality is great, but I somewhat agree with the previous post, I personally would prefer alittle stiffer sidewall. I'm looking at Potenza's when these wear out. Don't get me wrong though, they are very sticky tires, soft rubber gives tons of grip, but also makes them a bit soft in the corners.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts