Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 200 Posts

·
Registered
2018 X5M
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As per BMW NA ***8220;European Program to Begin Phasing Out Operations in May***8221;.

***8220;Although BMW NA historically represented an average of 2,000 European Deliveries annually, such deliveries have declined in recent years to under 500. Based on these trends and long-term evaluation, BMW Group will end the European Delivery Program in 2020 and cease accepting restoration as of May 18, 2020***8221;.

Glad I was able to participate in three ED***8217;s and have found memories as all good things have to come to an end.

·
Scheiße!!!
1,135 Posts
I've done so many. I wanted to share this experience with our daughter when she got older too :cry:

I'm going to see if I can squeeze in a farewell one. Wish they made tourings for the US.

·
Freude am Fahren
19,687 Posts
Very sad news indeed.

My earliest factory deliveries were my parents' in Sindelfingen and my first was when I moved to Munich to attend the Ludwig-Maximilians Universität München as a graduate student at the Institut für Neuere Geschichte. I was living in StuStadt at the time, close to the old delivery center, and replaced my European spec 3er (which met with a horrific end and a roof test on the Autobahn A1 near Amstetten (I still get chills each time I drive past that town nowadays).

I was fortunate to be the first person ever to take delivery of a car at the BMW Welt and in total I think I did 14 deliveries.

I made a lot of friends here in the forum and even met a few in real life but what I really treasure is what I hope will continue to be a lifelong friendship with Christian Stampfer, whom I met IRL via the forum on 17.10.2007 when he replied to my invitation here to come to the Tag der Öffenen Tür at the BMW Welt during the opening ceremonies.

Below is my 535d at the BMW Welt.

Attachments

·
Thinking about ED #5
1,288 Posts
Great to see a forum legend like JSpira back, but very sad news. Might have to book one more...

·
Freude am Fahren
19,687 Posts

·
Bimmerfest Founder
15,306 Posts
Ultimate Delivery Experience Continues in SC as Sun Sets on European Delivery
European Program to Begin Phasing Out Operations in May

"As the global market has evolved and BMW NA sales volumes have shifted more heavily towards SAVs during the past several years, the Performance Center Delivery in Spartanburg, South Carolina has seen continuing growth. Since its beginning in 1999, Performance Center Delivery has grown to more than 28,000 vehicle deliveries, while European Delivery, which has delivered approximately 30,000 vehicles since the 1970s, has experienced a significant decline in participation. Although BMW NA has historically represented an average of 2,000 European Deliveries annually, such deliveries have declined in recent years to under 500. Based on these trends and long-term evaluation, BMW Group will end the European Delivery Program in 2020 and cease accepting reservations as of May 18, 2020.

Our delivery programs have always provided owners with the opportunity to expand their BMW ownership experience and while BMW Group is ending the European operation due to declining global demand, we are proud to continue offering the Ultimate Delivery Experience to our customers through the Performance Center in Spartanburg," said April Vigilante, department head, corporate & special sales, BMW NA. "We encourage all centers to leverage this exciting program to immerse customers in the culture of BMW at the Zentrum, explore the factory and experience the 'Ultimate Driving Machine' on the track."

Unfortunately, it was the actions taken back in 2016 that effectively killed the ED Program.

Once they cut the discount back to 5% from 7% and disallowed the ability to apply incentives to ED deals, it was game over.

This is just the formal declaration.

:-/

·
Registered
8,180 Posts
I am grateful for the 9 I have done.

I wonder if they would be open to group deliveries. Say if BMWCCA put a group together for a specific day for deliveries.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Bimmerfest Founder
15,306 Posts
I am grateful for the 9 I have done.

I wonder if they would be open to group deliveries. Say if BMWCCA put a group together for a specific day for deliveries.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

I wonder who holds the record? I know that Beewang was the King of ED in the late 90's/early 2000s...

·
Novice driver
3,897 Posts
Unfortunately, it was the actions taken back in 2016 that effectively killed the ED Program.

Once they cut the discount back to 5% from 7% and disallowed the ability to apply incentives to ED deals, it was game over.

This is just the formal declaration.
+1
And this is inevitable result of BMW of NA's actions gutting the ED program back in 2016. The economics of European Delivery for U.S. market customers became unfavorable at that juncture.

·
Registered
384 Posts

YUP. Sadly, the writing was on the wall starting with the 2016 changes. It's a sad day indeed.

·
Bo-ma-win!
7,705 Posts
BMW now a has been manufacturer and this is likely the beginning to the end

BMW ... the Auto Manufacture to which I swore my allegiance to for decades. Unfortunately, they have completely missed the curve and lost their edge for the last decade, they have not produced a car that spurred my emotions or interest.

I have always thought I'd do an ED trip with my kids through the autobahn. The car to which motivated me through my collegiate years (with a BMW 850 on my bedroom wall to remind myself to reward me someday) is now just another slow Internal Combustible Engine vehicle for my kids. :eeps:

We have switched to full electric for 3 years now and we laugh at the hideous BMW i3 as an EV. This is the end of the road for BMW for me, as I just dont know how BMW (or any other legacy auto manufacture ) can catch up to our SWIFT, SILENT and DEADLY of our Model 3 "White Ninja" Tesla. With the Tesla Cybertruck on order to replace our Clarity, I have opted to NOT to renew my BMWCCA membership last week.

I'll still take my kids thru Germany, but it will likely be a Sixt rental car's Tesla Model S. RIP BMW ED.:tsk: YOu were GREAT!!
;)
beewang:bigpimp:

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Wow. Awful news. ED's were the best trips I've ever had. I really looked forward to my next one. Such a shame as it really kept me interested in the brand.
+1

I have been living in denial that this day might come.

For my family, the BMW brand has always been about European Delivery, and many of our European trips have been centered around collecting a new BMW.

At the same time, a lot more possibilities have now opened for us. Exhibit A: We had a ball last summer while scooting around Greece in an Audi from Sixt. And I suspect my travel planning wife will enjoy the freedom of not being anchored to Munich each and every trip.

We will probably still spring for a G20 when we actually resume driving again, but that could be the end of the BMW line for us. That is, unless they get back to their roots and/or reinvent a proper ED program in the future.

TTFN -

·
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest!
932 Posts
Wow! An end of an era. I only did 1 ED, and it was before the Welt. It would have been nice to have had the Welt experience, but I still have my 07, and sadly, have not been able to make the case in my mind for another Bimmer. Good memories though.

·
Super Moderator
3,630 Posts
NOOOOOOOOOO!

If BMW North America wanted to cut costs, just cut off the frills. For example, the airport or hotel shuttle to the Welt. Or cut down options such as returning the car to different cities and make it so you return it to Munich. If they want to cut out Login Out (handling agent), then just have a place in the Munich factory to return cars for shipment to the US.

Without European Delivery, BMW is just another Lexus or Acura except that it needs repair more often.

Now we are like citizens of a dictatorship who can peep in the Welt but are not allowed to buy a car and drive out from the area that the elite Germans drive out from. NOOOOOOOOOOO!

·
Novice driver
3,897 Posts

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Sad news indeed. My lease is coming up this year and it was an automatic assumption that I was going to do another one. That changed with Covid though, and was instead going to do PCD.

Covid put the nail in the coffin. The decreased discount and lack of incentive stacking were a trial balloon to see if the demand could continue to keep the program going. It was of course not. After Audi stopped theirs, BMW saw the writing on the wall. It is certainly only a matter of time before MB cuts their program.

One other major factor though is the changing market. Whether we like it or not, the SUV market is king, and they are made in the US. So even without the decreasing discounts, the take rate would still be on the decline. The ultimate irony would be if they created a US delivery program for European customers.

1 - 20 of 200 Posts