Bimmerfest BMW banner

181 - 200 of 200 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
I think a little bit of blame needs to be put on the many dealerships and salespeople who never bought into the program at all. Maybe this is just in the South, but I've been to many dealerships over the years that acted like they either had never heard of the program, let me know they didn't know how to set one up, or they couldn't imagine how much more getting the car through ED would cost. It was "we want to sell what is on this lot and that only". If it had not been for this site and finding a pro to set my ED's up, I doubt they would have happened.

·
Freude am Fahren
19,687 Posts
I think a little bit of blame needs to be put on the many dealerships and salespeople who never bought into the program at all.
A little bit? Let's try a whole lot. BMW NA gave dealerships reasonably good tools (very comprehensive brochures, even going back to my first ED when I was 18) and, later on, a good and constantly improving website.

It wasn't a sale limited to Jon, Adrian, and Philip, although those three were perhaps the most prominent of salesmen for the program.

·
Aviator
2,926 Posts
A little bit? Let's try a whole lot. BMW NA gave dealerships reasonably good tools (very comprehensive brochures, even going back to my first ED when I was 18) and, later on, a good and constantly improving website.

It wasn't a sale limited to Jon, Adrian, and Philip, although those three were perhaps the most prominent of salesmen for the program.
I'll add Robert Lingenfelter from Crevier to the list; he personally sold over 100 ED's as of a few years ago... probably not many more after Donnie Crevier sold to Penske :rolleyes:

·
Leave gun. Take Canoli.
7,693 Posts
My first ED in 1999 was at the BMW Niederlassungen on Frankfurter Ring. Much simpler times. I think they threw in a cup of coffee!

I went there once and got a license plate holder, they were a little confused to see an American there and about what exactly I was looking for and why would I want one

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
I did the exact same thing! And was met with the same confusion and had a bunch of difficulty at the counter trying to explain what I wanted as the English as the service desk was a little bit limited.

Side note, you can see the bend in the top one from where my 1-day old car was backed into. Thankfully at that point they were mounting plates about an inch off the front bumper so only the plate bent.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,193 Posts

Does anybody know what Philip is up to now? Sorry it’s been a long time since I’ve been on here but really enjoyed his YouTube videos

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
I did the exact same thing! And was met with the same confusion and had a bunch of difficulty at the counter trying to explain what I wanted as the English as the service desk was a little bit limited.

Wow you did it four times haha. Side note, I believe my first and earlier Zoll plates were too small for the holder but after 2006 or so they were standard size.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Freude am Fahren
19,687 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
this is sad :.( , I did my ED in 2004, drove to Paris in a 2005 330cic , that was my best vacation ever.

·
Registered
198 Posts
My ED is set for 9/8/2020. Excited, sad and scared all at the same time.

·
Registered
198 Posts

·
Freude am Fahren
19,687 Posts
My ED is set for 9/8/2020. Excited, sad and scared all at the same time.
At this point, with the borders closed to non-Europeans to at least 31.8. and perhaps longer, I'd be scared too.

Hopefully that will be the date but it's been a moving target for a while.

·
Freude am Fahren
19,687 Posts

·
Using SPF 45
3,669 Posts
I got my fair share with 6 EDs. I will miss the program. Been doing X deliveries at Spartanburg also. Life goes on.
Indeed . . . IIRC, you and I took delivery the same day back in 2003. I think you've done it again a few times since then. Not me. Alas that's it and I won't get another chance.

·
Using SPF 45
3,669 Posts
Don't tell us - tell BMW NA. The only thing that will reverse this decision is the certain knowledge that it will hurt sales. Losing repeat customers altogether--and the grassroots marketing that comes with us--is a risk they doubtless considered but may have underestimated.
While true, lost sales are pretty hard to track. They won't know how many people *didn't* buy because of the elimination of the program. What they did know is only 500 people were doing it (or whatever), which, while partly because the attractiveness of the programs was reduced, I suspect is more because of shifting US tastes in automobiles to US-built SUVs (stupid tariffs!).

Would be interesting to know if the decline in ED says mirrors the shift in the mix of US vs EU built BMW models.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just reading this while looking for info on my next purchase........ Is very, very sad. Now that I'm finally able to do it, this has become the first item in my bucket list that I was not able to scratch...

·
Super Moderator
3,629 Posts
Just reading this while looking for info on my next purchase........ Is very, very sad. Now that I'm finally able to do it, this has become the first item in my bucket list that I was not able to scratch...
There may be a loophole for diplomatic and military sales. They still exist but I am uncertain if Welt delivery is possible.

If there was a bucket list, perhaps alternatives can be found. How about driving from Alaska to Punta Arenas, Chile, near the tip of South America. There is no road between Panama and Colombia but is ferry service. Driving from Europe to Singapore is a challenge, maybe too much of a challenge?

How about a road trip in a BMW to cover 49 states and all Canadian provinces and territories?

·
Registered
234 Posts
While the program is done, you can still get most of the experience by just planning a trip to the Welt. Still go through the museum, check out all of the crazy stuff they have on display, grab a bite to eat, and go on the plant tour. The big thing is not getting the experience of driving your own custom designed car on European roads.

Reactions: marianol

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks @KingpenM3 & @Dave 20T Looks like will have to do the Welt trip on my own, but would have loved to take my custom BMW on the autobahn. The idea of a New York to LA or Alaska to Panama is not bad at all. Do not think I have enough for a full Americas road trip.

Dave funny you mentioned Punta Arenas, I actually did Buenos Aires to Ushuaia to Santiago Chile with the obvious stop in Punta Arenas. This was when I was a teenager with my dad :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been out of the BMW and European Delivery world for a little while. Long enough that I couldn't retrieve my old account here ("fishskis") due to a new email address. I just read about the ending of the ED program, and I got a little sad; but then I started thinking about all of the amazing experiences and memories I had and have from my five ED's, and I'm really grateful that I had the chance to experience all of them.

Without this forum, and the OG's Jspira and Beewang, I am not sure I would've even done this. As many have said already, thank you to the old-timers and the forum founder, whose knowledge and assistance and opinions were immeasurably helpful.

I've moved on from BMW for now. I had Threes and Sixes and Fives, and M3s and M4s, but a few years ago, I returned to Porsche, and have thoroughly enjoyed my 911 Cab for the past few years. In fact, I was supposed to be in Germany right about now for a Porsche ED for a 992 Cab; unfortunately due to Covid, my car is on a boat coming to me, instead of me going to pick it up at Zuffenhausen.

For those who did not get a chance to do a BMW ED, you can still do Mercedes or Porsche (If those cars fit your likes and budget). Or, you can buy your car here, and visit and tour BMW Welt, and splurge on renting a BMW for your European adventure. Not only does this approximate the ED experience, but, for me at least, on one issue in particular, it is nice driving someone else's car so you don't have to worry about hurting and damaging your own car! And of course the hardest thing about ED: waiting for your car to get here. Though it sure was fun and interesting learn about logistics and car transport and shipping and the Panama Canal, and obsessing and tracking the ship and watching on live cam as it moved from the Atlantic to the Pacific.

Thanks for the memories.

181 - 200 of 200 Posts