Bimmerfest BMW banner

41 - 60 of 195 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
I’ve done 4 over the last 18 years with the last being an M4 last September. I told myself then it might be the last time I did it but I didn’t really want to believe. I thought it would be up to me but I guess not. Sad day indeed.

But who is to blame? BMW NA or BMW AG?

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
We've always taken for granted a program that allows us to get our car at the factory doorsteps, and at a discount. It was a unique program that only the EU manufacturers offered (you cannot, for example, take delivery of an Apple computer in Cupertino). But when asked, why the program exists at all, someone once explained that this program has its roots in the post-WWII era. German car manufacturers had been decimated in the war and the German government wanted to encourage tourism. So to help rebuild the economy and encourage auto sales, they created this incentive to build brand awareness so that North Americans would come to appreciate the "specialness" of a German car on German roads.

·
Registered
229 Posts
This is indeed a sad day for all of us who spent many hours reading, posting and vicariously living through the trip reports of others while awaiting our next opportunity to head to Munich. I regret not being able to do another ED with my entire family- my wife and I have some wonderful memories of our trips and I wanted my kids to enjoy the experience with us.

This may mark the end of my loyalty to the brand, which has spanned over 24 years. I had already been reconsidering taking delivery of the car on order due to the treatment of my salesperson (albeit, not the fault of BMW NA) and my attachment to BMW has weakened since the ED program incentives were gutted. It seems that the feeling is mutual.

Nevertheless, I had some wonderful times thanks to the program and I have really enjoyed this forum, in particular.

·
Aviator
2,924 Posts
I'll hunt up some old pics from my first 4 ED's at Frankfurter Ring (prior to Freimann) and post them in this thread.

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
Where did they do it in the early '80s? I remember a different location -- sort of a little box of a building off a highway somewhere. It may have been south of town.

·
Super Moderator
3,621 Posts
I see they are going to allow delivery for all models at the Performance Center now. I don't see how that's going to not be a cluster f* w/ scheduling. It was already pretty hard to get on the calendar when it was just ED and X model deliveries.
I doubt I will ever have a Performance Center delivery. It's just too far to go there then drive to the West Coast. I have seen some of the South Carolina facilities but not in conjunction with car delivery.

With European Delivery, one got to see the headquarters of your car, possibly the factory that it came from, and a museum. Then one got to make memories seeing and doing things. Performance Center Delivery might make some sense for those buying a X3 or X5 or similar model and live within a few hundred miles away. That might be an authentic trip.

As I posted above, let's occasionally come back to this forum. I have a plan to try to get European Delivery re-started in about 5 years. It may not work but by then the Covid-19 factor of reduced European Delivery demand will probably be over.

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
What's the point of going to the Performance Center anyway (unless you live nearby)? There's no story and no history there. In Munich, there was reason to go because you felt like you were right next to the heartbeat of BMW.

I remember touring the plant in 1976 when the first 3 Series cars were coming out and they were parked across the highway in all these pastel colors that we never got here in the US. They were still making the '02 series back then, but only the 1502, which I saw on the assembly line. It's hard imagining that those days are over.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Wow. Awful news. ED's were the best trips I've ever had. I really looked forward to my next one. Such a shame as it really kept me interested in the brand.
+1

This is crushing - was looking forward to taking my children with me for my next one - they were too young for the last three EDs!

·
Registered
215 Posts
"I see they are going to allow delivery for all models at the Performance Center now. I don't see how that's going to not be a cluster f* w/ scheduling. It was already pretty hard to get on the calendar when it was just ED and X model deliveries."

FYI - They have always allowed delivery of any BMW at the Performance Center, assuming of course that is not purchased from a dealer lot. I've done it.
That said, I'm sorry that my 1984 and 2017 European deliveries will be my last in Munich.
John
BMWCCA

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
They did no such thing. They only reduced the discount but did not change the program.
They also would not let you apply other BMW financial incentives to BMW Euro Delivery. I routinely got my BMW Euro Delivery cars for 12% off of BMW US MSRP. Plus the cars did not come out of dealer allocation making negotiations a lot easier. BMW Euro Delivery was great experience for the BMW Enthusiast and it worked great for building brand loyalty with BMW Enthusiasts like me and my wife.

·
Registered
340 Posts
What's the point of going to the Performance Center anyway (unless you live nearby)? There's no story and no history there. In Munich, there was reason to go because you felt like you were right next to the heartbeat of BMW.

I remember touring the plant in 1976 when the first 3 Series cars were coming out and they were parked across the highway in all these pastel colors that we never got here in the US. They were still making the '02 series back then, but only the 1502, which I saw on the assembly line. It's hard imagining that those days are over.
Great post. Yes, a different, and frankly better, era.

Living in California, there's no way in hell I'd have any interest in Spartanburg delivery.

And I totally feel the same way about the story and history. I say this, not to in any way disparage the fine people and state of South Carolina, but for BMW to pretend Spartanburg delivery is some sort of next-best-thing substitute for Munich delivery is analogous to thinking that a visit to the Waffle House is a decent substitute for a trip to the Hofbräuhaus.

·
Can has cheezburger
2,081 Posts
They did no such thing. They only reduced the discount but did not change the program.
I hate to be argumentative but in my opinion they did. By reducing the discount and making the program incompatible with other discounts, the ED went from being cost neutral to slight discount compared to a "good deal" in the states to more expensive. :dunno:

·
///Multiple
4,525 Posts
I wonder who holds the record? I know that Beewang was the King of ED in the late 90's/early 2000s...
The summer after we did our first Euro Delivery in May 2011, we met an older couple during a BMW CCA San Diego Chapter winery visit. They had done a dozen EDs! They started off buying cars that they were interested in, with manual transmissions. The last several were "vanilla" versions, optioned with automatics and the most popular options because they sold their cars after they returned. They used it as an excuse to take European vacations back when the discount was 7%.

There's another member of the San Diego Chapter who I believe has done 7. Her most recent was last year and she did Performance Center Delivery to coincide with BMW CCA Oktoberfest in Greenville. She got a 440i because it was the last non-M model with a manual transmission. She'll be 78 in July and also has an E46 M3 and a Porsche Cayman.

Dan T. has also done around 8 EDs if I recall, maybe more, including two epic group deliveries which included track days at three different tracks each time. I was part of that 2016 #CentennialMTour with my M4. That was our second, and the third was Sue's 2018 M3 ZCP.

·
///Multiple
4,525 Posts
In addition to what pharding posted above, they also changed insurance carriers, explicitly prohibiting driving on any race track, most notably Nurburgring Nordschleife, and they no longer repaired any damage done during Euro Delivery. One of their original goals was to deliver at "showroom perfect" car at redelivery, but sadly that was no longer the case.

·
Registered
6,006 Posts
This forum was my longest run - from 2005 I check new posts almost every day. I get more than a few friends and visit 5 Bimmerfest in Santa Barbara and Pasadena. Thank you all!!!
P.S. I was never thinking about - my #6000 post was about closed ED process.
I love my 330i but my next car will be not BMW.

·
Registered
6,006 Posts
Let's last time to post a few pictures from your trip.

·
The One who Drives.
879 Posts
Hah! I now pronounce this thread the most epic one in the history of Bimmerfest ED forum! Everybody whom I considered fixtures here showed up. I felt like we created a community, one where MB ED'ers and Audi ED'ers visited for advice.
I can't believe it, but I have to agree with Beewang on the lost appeal of BMW, losing that "competitive edge", the magic, that drew me to the brand. Now it resembles a red dwarf, I will wait for a supernova! And I hope they will revive the ED program, with new incentives and new cars.

What is gonna happen with "Das Buch"? I would like to see it preserved by BMW of NA.

Adding my delivery thread, 11 years ago.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Is that a trend? I see quite a lot of our alumni switching from BMW to Teslas (myself included). Currently in a TM3 with a TMY on order.
That's interesting. I'm not a Tesla owner, but it's pretty clear to me, that where I live (San Francisco Bay Area), based on the new cars I see on the road, the Model 3 is eating the 3-series' lunch.

41 - 60 of 195 Posts