Bimmerfest BMW banner

61 - 80 of 195 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,621 Posts
Great post. Yes, a different, and frankly better, era.

Living in California, there's no way in hell I'd have any interest in Spartanburg delivery.

And I totally feel the same way about the story and history. I say this, not to in any way disparage the fine people and state of South Carolina, but for BMW to pretend Spartanburg delivery is some sort of next-best-thing substitute for Munich delivery is analogous to thinking that a visit to the Waffle House is a decent substitute for a trip to the Hofbräuhaus.
I agree and disagree.

I disagree in that Performance Center Delivery in South Carolina is totally appropriate, in my opinion, for a X3, X5 or other X model. Performance Center Delivery in addition to European Delivery also sounds like fun.

I do agree that European Delivery is the proper way for a car to be delivered. My F30 was built across the street from the Welt. No place better than the Welt to take delivery of the car.

I am not too interested in PCD of a car because it is too long of a drive to home on the West Coast. I have seen some of the BMW facilities once about 10 years ago.

·
Super Moderator
3,621 Posts
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-52583322

His words - sent at 07:35 on 7 May (1945) - would be the last from the German military intercepted by codebreakers at Bletchley Park before the surrender.

"British troops entered Cuxhaven at 1400 on 6 May. From now on all radio traffic will cease - wishing you all the best," the message from a Lieutenant Kunkel said.

This was immediately followed by: "Closing down for ever - all the best - goodbye".
The last message in German was....CL FUER IMMER - ALLES GUTE - AUF WIEDERSEHEN

Will the last person picking up their car as a European Delivery say this then turn off the lights? (if so, they'll turn the lights back on because the Welt is not closing, only European Delivery is. Login Out Munich Airport office could lose much of their business as Audi then BMW ends European Delivery).

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
That's interesting. I'm not a Tesla owner, but it's pretty clear to me, that where I live (San Francisco Bay Area), based on the new cars I see on the road, the Model 3 is eating the 3-series' lunch.
It is also eating the 5 Series lunch. My $52,000 Model 3 Dual Motor is comparable to my current generation 5er. Cabin is the same size. Equally fast. Handles about 90 percent as well. Better audio then the BMW HK system. BMW design and manufacturing is better. Tesla electronics and electronic driver assistance are much better. Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor sells for $52K versus $67K for a loaded 540iX. Tesla is 33 percent less to own and operate if you lease. BMW is a great company making great cars, however at this time they are way behind Tesla with electrified cars..

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
They also would not let you apply other BMW financial incentives to BMW Euro Delivery. I routinely got my BMW Euro Delivery cars for 12% off of BMW US MSRP. Plus the cars did not come out of dealer allocation making negotiations a lot easier. BMW Euro Delivery was great experience for the BMW Enthusiast and it worked great for building brand loyalty with BMW Enthusiasts like me and my wife.
Is ED mostly about the discount, or the experience? Money was icing on the cake -- the experience is why this subforum exists, and why ED matters.

But if we want to discuss money, let's not forget that for the past 30 years, BMWs have been cheaper for Americans than for the Germans who stood right along side us at the factory.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I am not too interested in PCD of a car because it is too long of a drive to home on the West Coast. I have seen some of the BMW facilities once about 10 years ago.
Has there ever been any discussion on deliveries at Thermal?

·
Novice driver
3,897 Posts
Yup, several Bimmerfest members have contacted BMW of NA about that arrangement, and received this response:

BMW of NA said:
"At this time, the Performance Center Delivery program only offers delivery to the Spartanburg facility. While we currently have no plans to offer Performance Center Delivery at the Thermal facility, we continually evaluate our programs and services available to our customers."

·
Novice driver
3,897 Posts
Is ED mostly about the discount, or the experience? Money was icing on the cake -- the experience is why this subforum exists, and why ED matters.
Money is the cake, "experience" is the icing.

·
Vendor
8,176 Posts
If the problem of ED was US dealers complaints to BMWNA about losing money on those sales then charge for it as an option, no need to eliminate it for the USA. :rolleyes:

Remove the ED discount of 5%, keep US MSRP but allow all incentives, and don't take the ED option from dealer's allocation -make it a freebie. Option should be simple: Welt delivery, insurance for 7 days (with 7-day extensions up to 6-months extra), shipping back, extra charge for pickup from airport/hotel. Let's say, a $1500 option.

Dealers can make extra money, customers can still enjoy ED if they want to. I mean, the Welt is still there, and local dealer delivery still sucks (sorry, Jon).

·
Lost but making good time
'11 335xi; '03 330Ci
5,517 Posts
If the problem of ED was US dealers complaints to BMWNA about losing money on those sales then charge for it as an option, no need to eliminate it for the USA. :rolleyes:

Remove the ED discount of 5%, keep US MSRP but allow all incentives, and don't take the ED option from dealer's allocation -make it a freebie. Option should be simple: Welt delivery, insurance for 7 days (with 7-day extensions up to 6-months extra), shipping back, extra charge for pickup from airport/hotel. Let's say, a $1500 option.

Dealers can make extra money, customers can still enjoy ED if they want to. I mean, the Welt is still there, and local dealer delivery still sucks (sorry, Jon).
I've had the exact same thought. Europeans are clearly willing to pay for the experience. BMW AG has to ship the cars to us stateside regardless; the inescapable thousand-dollar destination charge is already baked into the purchase. Why deny all of us the opportunity simply because "participation" by bargain-chasers plummeted? I'd pay $1,000-$1,500 extra to do it again, in a hot minute.

As for deliveries having fallen to "only" 500/year...that's still nothing to sneeze at, IMO. It may be only a quarter of the peak rate but the program has been offered for decades--what was the annual average in the 1980s? 1990s? 1970s? Yet somehow they still made it work.

The Welt is one of the most magnificent architectural feats I've ever seen. Visiting it could still be fun but nothing can match the feeling, as someone put it above, of being treated like royalty for a day. It was inspiring in so many ways.

Always thought I'd have a chance soon to remake this photo with better weather, and perhaps arrange a tour of M/Individual. Maybe someday, but certainly not soon. :cry:

Attachments

·
Registered
836 Posts
Gonna miss those great Eds

I got my fair share with 6 EDs. I will miss the program. Been doing X deliveries at Spartanburg also. Life goes on.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Thermal delivery could be an interesting idea for California/western customers. The Palm Springs area ain't Munich but it has its own charms. I have a place in the area, so it'd work for me.
I don't pay much attention to Audi, but out of curiosity, I just looked into their E.D. program and notice that it was shut down in January 2019.
Mercede-Benz & Porsche are still running their programs.

Could BMW ever change its mind and revive the program? Never say never, but I'm not holding my breath. All the reasons we've discussed about why the program died aren't going away anytime soon.

·
Super Moderator
3,621 Posts
I've had the exact same thought. Europeans are clearly willing to pay for the experience. BMW AG has to ship the cars to us stateside regardless; the inescapable thousand-dollar destination charge is already baked into the purchase. Why deny all of us the opportunity simply because "participation" by bargain-chasers plummeted? I'd pay $1,000-$1,500 extra to do it again, in a hot minute.
:
Is the rumor true or is it a myth that German customers at the Welt do not have to pay the usual shipping charge that customers have to pay for delivery to the dealer but pay a different charge for delivery at the Welt. I thought if they take basic delivery (shortened presentation, a little gas in the tank, no shuttle), they save a little money. After Welt delivery, they drive the car home.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Is the rumor true or is it a myth that German customers at the Welt do not have to pay the usual shipping charge that customers have to pay for delivery to the dealer but pay a different charge for delivery at the Welt. I thought if they take basic delivery (shortened presentation, a little gas in the tank, no shuttle), they save a little money. After Welt delivery, they drive the car home.
European (non-German) customers pay a fee for delivery at the Welt (around 1000 euros) and they save the transportation/dealer delivery fee (around 700). They get temporary license plates/insurance as Americans do, and lease starts when the dealer provides the final plates.

All in all, Welt delivery basically free. I wonder if this delivery option will be affected by the cancellation of the American one.

·
Registered
304 Posts
That’s an interesting idea. I recently took a driving school out there. It’s a great facility with a course similar to Spartanburg. And there is a full on racetrack at the Thermal Club. There is no off-road course for X vehicles but that wouldn’t be hard to build.

The problem is it is a smaller facility and would likely have to be expanded to do deliveries. And it’s not as accessible as Spartanburg which is right off the interstate. Another problem is there is no factory to tour.

I love Palm Springs but the biggest problem is Palm Springs (and South Carolina) just aren’t Munich. I’ve done a PCD and it was fun but not at all comparable to ED.

·
Extended Euro Delivery
3,373 Posts
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-52583322

The last message in German was....CL FUER IMMER - ALLES GUTE - AUF WIEDERSEHEN

Will the last person picking up their car as a European Delivery say this then turn off the lights? (if so, they'll turn the lights back on because the Welt is not closing, only European Delivery is. Login Out Munich Airport office could lose much of their business as Audi then BMW ends European Delivery).

The Military/Diplomatic Sales program is still alive and strong, and as far as I know will continue to utilize them.

I jumped to Mercedes, and will move back to Germany one more time. I wonder if Welt Delivery is still an option for Mil/Dip Sales?

·
Freude am Fahren
19,686 Posts
But when asked, why the program exists at all, someone once explained
I explain the origins in the forum multiple times and memorialized a thoroughly researched answer in a 2011 article, The Complete Guide to European Delivery Programs in the section entitled "Early Days."

Today’s European Delivery programs can trace their roots directly back to the 1950sBMW 320iS when members of the armed forces returning from Europe brought with them a taste for smaller and somewhat sportier European cars. Indeed, many soldiers and airmen purchased cars for use in Europe and then shipped their cars to the States.

In the 1960s, with the exception of the occasional Volkswagen Käfer (Beetle), a foreign car was truly unusual in the United States. Today’s popularity of European cars can be traced back to Max Hoffman, the Austrian emigrant automotive entrepreneur who, starting in 1948, almost single-handedly created the imported car business in the U.S.
<SNIP>
However, my favorite article was published following a year in which I did 3 EDs:
The Official Guide to Audi, BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, and Volvo European Delivery Programs

The sub-title was particularly telling: ,,Pick Up Your New Car in Europe, Drive on the Autobahn, and Save Money´´

·
Freude am Fahren
19,686 Posts
I'll hunt up some old pics from my first 4 ED's at Frankfurter Ring (prior to Freimann) and post them in this thread.
The Freimann Delivery Center predates the use of the Niederlassung on the Frankfurter Ring.

·
Freude am Fahren
19,686 Posts
Where did they do it in the early '80s? I remember a different location -- sort of a little box of a building off a highway somewhere. It may have been south of town.
The earliest delivery center of which I am aware was in Freimann. That is the building you are describing and it was in the 1980s.

That is where I took delivery of my first "grown-up" BMW (I was 18) by myself. I lived about seven minutes away (by car) in the StuStadt and went back to buy stuff there multiple times (as a non-German citizen, having quick access to the MWSt. Formulare for reimbursement of the MWSt. was very convenient to say the least).

61 - 80 of 195 Posts