Bimmerfest BMW banner

101 - 120 of 195 Posts

·
Extended Euro Delivery
3,373 Posts
May 18. Handover appointments are available through September but the reservation paperwork has to be submitted by this coming Monday.

Assuming you can even go to Germany....I’m seeing articles indicating that US passport holders could have real problems going to EU nations.

*this is NOT intended to be a political post

“Access to previously restricted areas will be granted solely on a passport basis to ensure people aren’t traveling clandestinely to third-party countries to get to a Greek island or Italian beach when they open up. This means that if you have an American passport—as travelers from the U.S. aren’t included—you will be unwelcome no matter which country you are coming from or how long you’ve been there.”

https://www.thedailybeast.com/with-coronavirus-american-travelers-are-about-to-find-out-what-its-like-to-be-the-pariah

·
Registered
149 Posts
...I love jcs signature and photo. In my case it was ED 2018 530e, - Germany, Slovenia, Croatia, Serbia, Romania, Hungary, Slovakia, & Austria (and that was probably TOO much). I never got to see any locomotives like that when I was there. However, the Transfargarasan highway out of the Carpathians into Transylvania was quite a delight, as was the Grossglockner Hochalpenstrasse. Speaking of the Grossglockner Hochalpenstrasse;
Thanks. The photo is the front of the the Hotel Train "Carpatia Express", inside the CFF railway station in Viseu de Sus. We stayed there the night before our steam train ride up the Vaser Valley.

We enjoyed the the Transfargarasan highway as well, roundtrip from the south to Sibiu. Unfortunately we were not able to drive on the Grossglockner Hochalpenstrasse, as it was closed by a snow storm when we tried in in late June 2001.

About your itinerary, I thought that Serbia was off limit for ED.

·
Super Moderator
3,621 Posts
Is this the Freeman building? This is where I went in 2002.
Post #94 on page 4

Auslieferung Neufehrzeuge = Delivery New-vehicles

I don't think they used that word in the little signs at the Welt. Maybe a different word?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I was never told what was off limits. If Serbia was, I'm glad I did not know (and didn't get caught) The evening we spent in Belgrad was very nice. The owner at the little hotel there welcomed us with a couple of shots of homemade Serbian brandy, as well as a great cherry cobber the next morning at breakfast. We spent the evening doing a paseo on the Danube and found a wonderful overlook at a church close by.

Attachments

·
Freude am Fahren
19,686 Posts
Post #94 on page 4

Auslieferung Neufehrzeuge = Delivery New-vehicles

I don't think they used that word in the little signs at the Welt. Maybe a different word?
Actually, it doesn't say that in German: the sign in Freimann said

,,Auslieferung Neufahrzeuge``

At the BMW Welt, the overhead sign says (across 3 lines):

,,Premium Lounge
Check In Abholung Automobile
Check In Pick Up Automobiles``

·
Leave gun. Take Canoli.
7,692 Posts
It was always such a magical time taking the elevator up to the premium lounge at the Welt and then walking out to see your car for the first time. I guess the PC will have to do now.

·
Registered
778 Posts
It was always such a magical time taking the elevator up to the premium lounge at the Welt and then walking out to see your car for the first time. I guess the PC will have to do now.
Genau!

I have done 1 Porsche ED at Zuffenhausen.
Delivery - BMW
Museum - BMW
Food - tie
Factory tour - Porsche
Misc. - Porsche

We currently own a '19 M-B Sprinter van, after 30k miles, the are somethings that M-B does really well. (other things like the DEF system in -40*weather, not so much)

It is nice to see the legends of this board back, if only for a brief moment.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I haven't read this section in months as I'm not in the buying market, but I'm so bummed! I had a wonderful experience 6 years ago yesterday. Not only is the Welt and delivery process special, but where else can you find top speed of your car (after a shortened 750 mile break in) and then drive the Nurburgring? Sadly, I'll probably never drive the 'Ring again either, as most rental companies prohibit it. So sad :-(

·
Don't be a left lane hog
3,187 Posts
Sadly, I'll probably never drive the 'Ring again either, as most rental companies prohibit it. So sad :-(
Never is a long time.
You can rent cars by the lap. There's a wide range that can be rented from small Suzukis to Porsches and more.

·
Leave gun. Take Canoli.
7,692 Posts
Genau!

I have done 1 Porsche ED at Zuffenhausen.
Delivery - BMW
Museum - BMW
Food - tie
Factory tour - Porsche
Misc. - Porsche

We currently own a '19 M-B Sprinter van, after 30k miles, the are somethings that M-B does really well. (other things like the DEF system in -40*weather, not so much)

It is nice to see the legends of this board back, if only for a brief moment.
Who you callin' a legend? :p

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Just curious - what kind of price ranges are they by the lap?
I was looking into this recently as well. Price depends on the car. VW GTI & Focus RS are on the lower end, ~800 Euros. An M2 or M4 would be mid-range. Then GT2 or GT3 are on the higher end, ~1300 Euros.

·
Don't be a left lane hog
3,187 Posts
Just curious - what kind of price ranges are they by the lap?
I was looking into this recently as well. Price depends on the car. VW GTI & Focus RS are on the lower end, ~800 Euros. An M2 or M4 would be mid-range. Then GT2 or GT3 are on the higher end, ~1300 Euros.
I think the €800 is for all day(?), I've seen starting at €179 for first lap and €75 for additional lap all inclusive in a Suzuki Swift (https://www.rent4ring.de/en/rentals-for-the-nordschleife.html) or BMW E36 2 laps for €149 (https://www.ringfreaks.de/race-car-rental-nurburgring/) but you have to take time to compare what's included especially insurance.

You can google this and find several others places near the 'ring that do this and prices vary.

·
Leave gun. Take Canoli.
7,692 Posts
I think the €800 is for all day(?), I've seen starting at €179 for first lap and €75 for additional lap all inclusive in a Suzuki Swift (https://www.rent4ring.de/en/rentals-for-the-nordschleife.html) or BMW E36 2 laps for €149 (https://www.ringfreaks.de/race-car-rental-nurburgring/) but you have to take time to compare what's included especially insurance.

You can google this and find several others places near the 'ring that do this and prices vary.
I looked up some prices because I couldn't believe they were that much. I'm glad I just bought and brought my own BMW to the experience. :)

here are some pricing examples
https://rsrnurburg.com/car-fleet/bmw-m2-rsr-edition/

https://rsrnurburg.com/car-fleet/porsche-gt3-991-rsr-edition/

https://rsrnurburg.com/car-fleet/porsche-gt3-rs-991-2/

·
Registered
187 Posts
I wrote BMW to express my displeasure with the cancellaton of the European Delivery program. I got the corporate response below which as follows:

"Dear Jim,

Bernhard Kuhnt shared your email with me. I understand that you also received a reply from Abigail Brokaw, BMW Customer Relations and Services Representative.

We’re always delighted to hear from our valued and loyal customers, and we’re glad you had the opportunity to experience the European Delivery Program. Thank you for also sharing your enthusiasm with others.

And, we are, of course, sorry to learn of your disappointment that the program will be ending. As our customers are the heart of everything we do, the decision to continue offering European Delivery is driven by customer demand which has been diminishing. You can be assured, though, that BMW of North America will continue to actively monitor customer preferences.

Thanks again for writing and for continuing to choose BMW as your preferred vehicle. Wherever the road may take you, we wish you many safe and happy driving miles. And most importantly, all the very best to you and yours in these trying times."

It was nice of them to reply, but at the end of the day, it's just corporate speak. They have made their decision and that is that.

I bought my first new BMW over 40 years ago, a basically stripper manual 320i, with air. I loved that car and the way it handled. However, times are changing and BWM is changing its focus from a brand for enthusiasts to one of a mainstream producer, focusing on SUV's and lower cost production in places outside of Germany. I know I am old, old school and behind the times, but a BMW made in the US, Mexico or China will not have the cache for me as one made in Germany. Hopefully BMW will build continue to build some cars to keep us interested in the brand.

Enough of a rant. At least I have my Z4 which should last me for awhile.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts

·
Leave gun. Take Canoli.
7,692 Posts
I wrote BMW to express my displeasure with the cancellaton of the European Delivery program. I got the corporate response below which as follows:

"Dear Jim,

Bernhard Kuhnt shared your email with me. I understand that you also received a reply from Abigail Brokaw, BMW Customer Relations and Services Representative.

We’re always delighted to hear from our valued and loyal customers, and we’re glad you had the opportunity to experience the European Delivery Program. Thank you for also sharing your enthusiasm with others.

And, we are, of course, sorry to learn of your disappointment that the program will be ending. As our customers are the heart of everything we do, the decision to continue offering European Delivery is driven by customer demand which has been diminishing. You can be assured, though, that BMW of North America will continue to actively monitor customer preferences.

Thanks again for writing and for continuing to choose BMW as your preferred vehicle. Wherever the road may take you, we wish you many safe and happy driving miles. And most importantly, all the very best to you and yours in these trying times."

It was nice of them to reply, but at the end of the day, it's just corporate speak. They have made their decision and that is that.

I bought my first new BMW over 40 years ago, a basically stripper manual 320i, with air. I loved that car and the way it handled. However, times are changing and BWM is changing its focus from a brand for enthusiasts to one of a mainstream producer, focusing on SUV's and lower cost production in places outside of Germany. I know I am old, old school and behind the times, but a BMW made in the US, Mexico or China will not have the cache for me as one made in Germany. Hopefully BMW will build continue to build some cars to keep us interested in the brand.

Enough of a rant. At least I have my Z4 which should last me for awhile.
I wonder if they'd send me the same email if I wrote to them. BMW is definitely a different car company than they were when I for my first one. They have shifted exactly as you said. Sucks for the enthusiasts, but overall its a business so I guess I understand.

·
Leave gun. Take Canoli.
7,692 Posts
This is obviously likely way more complicated than I'd imagine, but would be cost them that much to leave it as an option for the people that want to do it still? The Welt is still going to be there. They still have to ship German made cars over here. Its certainly one of the things that has kept me loyal to the brand since I got and did my first one. As I tell people, once you go to Germany to pick up a car there is no other way to do it. It just makes going down to the dealer seem so mundane. I'll have to settle for PCD which having done it is great, but a FAR distant second in excitement of experience category.

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
I think the program requires a lot of coordination and personal attention that requires staff on both sides of the Atlantic. Each customer car is built to order, then has to be coordinated with the customer's travel plans. The cars have to be insured. And the dropoff points throughout EU have to be staffed and running. Each one of these aspects has to be handled with the individual customer in mind, whereas factory orders are handled en-masse.

·
Leave gun. Take Canoli.
7,692 Posts
I think the program requires a lot of coordination and personal attention that requires staff on both sides of the Atlantic. Each customer car is built to order, then has to be coordinated with the customer's travel plans. The cars have to be insured. And the dropoff points throughout EU have to be staffed and running. Each one of these aspects has to be handled with the individual customer in mind, whereas factory orders are handled en-masse.
Yes, I agree. Although drop off locations are just 3rd party shipping companies. I know they still have to pay and coordinate them though.

101 - 120 of 195 Posts