Bimmerfest BMW banner

161 - 180 of 200 Posts

·
Freude am Fahren
19,687 Posts
It may have been Freimann, but it definitely wasn't the same place as they used prior to the Welt. I'm thinking back to summer of 1984.
Did I or anyone say it was the same place as used immediately prior to the BMW Welt?

I do plan on looking up the address, I would imagine it's here somewhere ...

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
Okay. For whatever reason, I remember exiting the place and being dumped right on the Autobahn, but that memory is rather hazy.

·
Freude am Fahren
19,687 Posts
Okay. For whatever reason, I remember exiting the place and being dumped right on the Autobahn, but that memory is rather hazy.
I'm going to look on a map and figure this out. I can just follow the streets. I could almost have walked there had it not been for the Kreuzung that probably didn't have sidewalks.

·
Freude am Fahren
19,687 Posts
I probably have something printed with the address but after staring at a map and realizing that there have been major changes to the Autobahnkreuzung since the 1980s I would guess it was somewhere along the Lilienthalallee.

Basically if you head north on the Ungererstraße just a bit from StuStadt you would make a right into a Kreuzung that took you to the western side of what is now the A9 and beyond that is the Lilienthalallee.

The address was on the slip for the Taxifahrer but of course I gave the slip to the Taxifahrer. I'm confident I've approximated the location correctly, I'll try to see if I can improve on this tomorrow.

Gute Nacht.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Does anyone have an address for what we are calling Freimann 2.0, the place pictured in Snareman's post? I remember it being within the BMW factory complex but I haven't been able to find it in person (no access) or on google earth.

·
Freude am Fahren
19,687 Posts
Does anyone have an address for what we are calling Freimann 2.0, the place pictured in Snareman's post? I remember it being within the BMW factory complex but I haven't been able to find it in person (no access) or on google earth.
No one is calling it that (maybe one person but whatever) ;)

It was the BMW AG Freimann Delivery Center auf Englisch, Lilienthal-Allee 26.

·
Extended Euro Delivery
3,376 Posts
Man This thread has brought out several of the BF heavy hitters!

I’ve never experienced ED like this.

All of mine were delivered in Germany while I lived there.

·
Freude am Fahren
19,687 Posts
Man This thread has brought out several of the BF heavy hitters!

I’ve never experienced ED like this.

All of mine were delivered in Germany while I lived there.
My first "delivery" was when a business associate of my father's took me to owner of Autohaus Augsburg and I picked out a car. It was winter time so they mounted winter tires on it, of course, and I drove it home to Munich.

My second was when I was still living in Munich and had a date in mind to return to the U.S. Nine months prior to that, I ordered my first "European Delivery" from Audrey Manes, the wife of the owner of Jamaica BMW (who used her maiden name, Audrey King), and, as a graduate student returning home, filled the trunk of the BMW with my books and research materials, which must have weighed several hundred kg.

·
Registered
304 Posts
No one is calling it that (maybe one person but whatever) ;)

It was the BMW AG Freimann Delivery Center auf Englisch, Lilienthal-Allee 26.
Thanks. That address sounds vaguely familiar. It’s not really where I had remembered it. On google earth it looks like an underground parking lot is there now.

·
Aviator
2,928 Posts
I'll take the blame for Freimann 2.0 nomenclature since I did a BMW ED at another Freimann location (Freimann 1.0) in the mid 80's. Relax Herr Spira :)

Freimann 2.0 was indeed adjacent or collocated with a BMW factory operation, as at break time a few factory employees in their blue coveralls would come into the cafe and order a bier. When break was over, it was back to work :beerchug:

·
Freude am Fahren
19,687 Posts
I'll take the blame for Freimann 2.0 nomenclature since I did a BMW ED at another Freimann location (Freimann 1.0) in the mid 80's. Relax Herr Spira :)

Freimann 2.0 was indeed adjacent or collocated with a BMW factory operation, as at break time a few factory employees in their blue coveralls would come into the cafe and order a bier. When break was over, it was back to work :beerchug:
And I did a delivery at the original Freimann Delivery Center (your one-dot-0) well before that, in 1982 when BMW NA wasn't even sure I was old enough to do it :roundel: :roundel: :roundel:

The second iteration of Freimann (your two-dot-0) was definitely at Lillienthal-Alle 26 and now all I have to do is find the address for the first location. I have the paperwork from my 1982 delivery so it's just a matter of going to the file room and digging.

I don't mind the one-dot-0 or two-dot-0 nomenclature at all - I was merely commenting that it wasn't the terminology that was in common usage here.

Off to the file room...

·
Freude am Fahren
19,687 Posts
Thanks. That address sounds vaguely familiar. It’s not really where I had remembered it. On google earth it looks like an underground parking lot is there now.
It was immediately repurposed into an employee delivery center after "we" left it but it was slated for demolition a few years after the BMW Welt opened. BMW has totally rebuilt the area so a parking garage sounds about right.

·
Freude am Fahren
19,687 Posts
I have all the paperwork from the delivery in Freimann and none of it has the address of the delivery center.

Attachments

·
Aviator
2,928 Posts
Maybe the exact location of "Freimann 1.0" is best left to our convenient but failing memories. My first ED was a VW bug in 1968; not sure I could find the delivery center in Wolfsburg either. Actually, I was there once previously in 1964 when I accompanied my father to take delivery of a VW Variant S squareback that he brought back to California.

·
Freude am Fahren
19,687 Posts
Maybe the exact location of "Freimann 1.0" is best left to our convenient but failing memories. My first ED was a VW bug in 1968; not sure I could find the delivery center in Wolfsburg either. Actually, I was there once previously in 1964 when I accompanied my father to take delivery of a VW Variant S squareback that he brought back to California.
You say that as I'm looking thru my maps to find an early 1980s Munich city map. Will it spoil things if I end up divulging the exact location? If so, I will remain silent.

·
Aviator
2,928 Posts
You say that as I'm looking thru my maps to find an early 1980s Munich city map. Will it spoil things if I end up divulging the exact location? If so, I will remain silent.
Look away dear friend, but I'm satisfied it was somewhere around Schwabing-Freimann. Robert, however, seems very interested in the specific address.

·
Freude am Fahren
19,687 Posts
Look away dear friend, but I'm satisfied it was somewhere around Schwabing-Freimann. Robert, however, seems very interested in the specific address.
It was NE of my apt. in the StuStadt. Look on a map - my address was Christoph-Probst-Straße 10.

Go up Ungerestraße and then it would be past the A9 but on the west side and north of the Autobahn.

I just need to find a 1980s map in the File Room as the streets have apparently changed with BMW's construction.

·
Registered
2019 Silver 740i
643 Posts
I was really sad after seeing this announcement in the BMW magazine. Our 2006 ED was one of the highlights of an awesome 2-week trip that included drives through the Austrian Alps, Italy and the Winter Olympics in Turin. I really have no interest in visiting the state of South Carolina or putting 3000 miles on my new car in a cross-country drive (been there, done that). Oh well, I think Mercedes and Porsche still have programs...

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
My first ED in 1999 was at the BMW Niederlassungen on Frankfurter Ring. Much simpler times. I think they threw in a cup of coffee!

I went there once and got a license plate holder, they were a little confused to see an American there and about what exactly I was looking for and why would I want one

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Freude am Fahren
19,687 Posts
I went there once and got a license plate holder, they were a little confused to see an American there and about what exactly I was looking for and why would I want one

Bimmerfest mobile app
I did my rather extensive BMW shopping at the Freimann Delivery Center while living there as I was eligible for the MWSt. return and the boutique in Freimann was happy to oblige. One can spend quite a bit on BMW accessories living there with an ED 3er for a year.

My favorite purchase was a rear Jalousie.

On the other hand, service and warranty visits at the smaller dealership on the Leopoldstraße could be interesting. My U.S.-spec radio had some issues and they had to order it twice, apparently from America. :angel:

161 - 180 of 200 Posts