BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just completed the installation of the E46 sunroof upgrade kit with great success thanks to the excellent post in this forum(http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=222850)

I also had to replace the sunroof motor as this burned out when the suroof jammed. (long story).

Now when I operate the sunroof, the one-touch autoclose feature no longer works and I have to manually hold the button to close the roof. Anyone know how to reprogram this feature? I have done the 20 second reset but this does not solve the closing problem. I even took the electronics off the old motor and put them on the new one but this did not solve the problem. Is this a car memory feature that needs to be reprogrammed? If so, can I do it or does it take the dealer to do it?

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I have just completed the installation of the E46 sunroof upgrade kit with great success thanks to the excellent post in this forum(http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=222850)

I also had to replace the sunroof motor as this burned out when the suroof jammed. (long story).

Now when I operate the sunroof, the one-touch autoclose feature no longer works and I have to manually hold the button to close the roof. Anyone know how to reprogram this feature? I have done the 20 second reset but this does not solve the closing problem. I even took the electronics off the old motor and put them on the new one but this did not solve the problem. Is this a car memory feature that needs to be reprogrammed? If so, can I do it or does it take the dealer to do it?
The following are all programmable car/key memory options (car). However, I would not think that changing out the motor would alter any of the settings.
"One Touch" sunroof close (auto close)active
not active
("Single Strike Function close sunroof")
"One Touch" sunroof open (auto open)active
not active

("Single Strike Function open sunroof")
"One Touch" raise sunroofactive
not active
("Single Strike Function raise sunroof")
*******> ********>

*******> ********>

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input.
Interestingly, AutoOpen works but AutoClose does not. Both used to work before the burnout.

Any idea how these are programmed? Is this something a dealer needs to do?

·
(o0\(III)(III)/0o)
516 Posts
Thanks for the input.
Interestingly, AutoOpen works but AutoClose does not. Both used to work before the burnout.

Any idea how these are programmed? Is this something a dealer needs to do?
My auto open/close works on everything except bringing back down from tilt.

·
Coconut Pete's paella!
5,216 Posts
thats what mine does
Clean and re-grease the tracks, and you car shouldn't do it for another year.

It is not jamming. Runs smoothly if I hold the button. Just won't do the one-touch close.
When you push the button do you get the "extra click" like in the windows? I haven't driven mine in a few weeks I can't remebmer if the switch has 2 levels like the window switches.

·
Coconut Pete's paella!
5,216 Posts
The sunroof switch has two clicks for open and close, not for tilt.
I'm not sure if I know what you mean by "2 clicks" There are 3 directions, "open", "close" and "vent" (back, forth, up if you will)

With the windows - if you push the switch the window moves, if you let go, the window stops. If you push the switch hard and you feel the "click" then the window opens all the way. I can't remember if the sunroof switch does the same.

·
ROLL TIDE!
24,034 Posts
I'm not sure if I know what you mean by "2 clicks" There are 3 directions, "open", "close" and "vent" .
I call this the "fart evacuation" mode.

Mine stops halfway too, what do I grease it with>?

·
(o0\(III)(III)/0o)
516 Posts
I call this the "fart evacuation" mode.

Mine stops halfway too, what do I grease it with>?
I don't know, but make sure it says it's safe for BMWs!!!!!!!! The formulation has to be just right for the particular metals involved...it also has to be able to resist leaves and rain well. Just make sure you don't put anything else in there...it could spontaneously combust if you mix the wrong chemicals.

·
Coconut Pete's paella!
5,216 Posts
Hmm... you know what I am pretty sure I used a tube of that lubricant stuff you sometimes get w/ brake pads. I had 2 tubes sitting around, must have been from when I did brakes on my Jeep that I had before the 328. One tube per side, worked like a charm for the year and a half i had it after that.

Anyway... so can anyone confirm if the sunroof switch does the "double click" like the window switches do? I won't have my car back till Sunday :mad:

·
(o0\(III)(III)/0o)
516 Posts
Hmm... you know what I am pretty sure I used a tube of that lubricant stuff you sometimes get w/ brake pads. I had 2 tubes sitting around, must have been from when I did brakes on my Jeep that I had before the 328. One tube per side, worked like a charm for the year and a half i had it after that.

Anyway... so can anyone confirm if the sunroof switch does the "double click" like the window switches do? I won't have my car back till Sunday :mad:
It does

·
Supporter of Bimmer Lore
5,192 Posts
I reviewed the sunroof replacement DIY you followed and compared it to the 'official' procedure in the BMW TIS, and found one thing lacking: post-install sunroof initialization. Another item I would take issue with the original poster of the procedure is where he suggests smearing WD40 on the guide rails: this looks to me like the perfect way to get a dust magnet there, once the gunk dries off. There are much better 'dry' lubricants that can be used instead. But on to the initialization: I'm typing this off the TIS screen since the darn system doesn't allow copy/paste (anyone know how to extract text from a .XPS file?).

Initialization comprises:
  • Normalization
  • Learning characteristic curve
An initialization must be performed
  • In event of malfunction, e.g. no one-touch functions, no opening or no comfort function possible.
  • After disengagement of the drive unit.
  • If necessary, after an interruption of the power supply.
  • After work is carried out on the mechanism of the slide/tilt sunroof.
Note:
The initialization sequence is dependent on the software version of the slide/tilt sunroof module. If necessary, code slide/tilt sunroof drive unit.

Normalization
  • Press and hold the switch in the "Lift" direction (pix showing you push the switch in, not sliding it anywhere).
  • In the event of delayed starting or sudden stopping of the slide/tilt sunroof, continue pressing the switch in the "Lift" direction.
  • After reaching lift end position, keep switch pressed for approx, 20 seconds further.
  • Normalization is completed when the slide/tilt sunroof in lift end position presses again briefly upwards (pix showing edge of lifted sunroof in final position, then briefly trying to move further up).
  • Release switch.
Learning characteristic curve
Procedure for E38 from 09/98 and E46 Compact, E46 Saloon, Touring, Coupe from 09/2001 following initial installment or replacement of drive unit.
The curve is learnt manually in the following steps:
  • Release switch after normalization for max. 5 seconds.
  • Then hold down the switch in the raising position direction until such time that the slide/tilt sunroof has returned to the closed position after a complete opening movement.
  • This concludes learning the curve. The switch can now be released.
Note:
Carry out function check (i.e., test to see if all functions work and redo if not).

Procedure for E38/E39 up to 03/98
In these cars the curve is learnt automatically during operation by way of the module. After normalization, open and close slide/tilt sunroof fully once by pressing switch. In the event of faulty triggering of the anti-trap protection facility in specific positions, the fault can be rectified by moving over the relevant position numerous times.

Procedure for E46 Saloon, Touring, Coupe up to 09/2001
The curve is determined by coding (dealer, here I come... :( ).​

Hope this helps.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.