Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As it says, the RH passenger side sunroof drain is clogged up. I have wet carpet on that side & I could see a "high level" mark left on the inside of the drain area. I poured some water into that side & no draining on that side but was draining on the driverside. Looks like it comes out above the underside cover on bottom of car about a foot or so behind the wheel well area. I couldn't get anything to go down the drain tube more than 3-4 inches. I tries string trimmer line & some coated wire but it just wouldn't go past the 1st bend. Ant suggestions?

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 98K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
16,400 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Could somebody please explain to me how this is a thing? I've literally been reading about this problem for five years, and I've never understood it. Fortunately, I've never encountered it, either. My sunroof is in the "fully closed" position 99.9% of the time (with the sound-deadening panel closed as well. So, thusfar, all of the water stays outside of my vehicle. Is this drainage system (and its related leak) for people who drive in the rain with the glass louvers in the "up" position for ventilation? Or is it a drain for condensation when the humans are breathing on a cold day and the sound-deadening panel is retracted? Is it about imperfections in the glass-adjacent gaskets? Not trying to be cute. I honestly don't get how water gets in, so I don't understand why it needs to get out.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 98K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
16,400 Posts
The sections of the sunroof that move are not water tight. Around the boundaries are gutters inside below the glass to collect water ingress and, unfortunately, trash. There is a transverse join between the front and rear halves of the glass and it***8217;s leakage is collected by the ***8220;sound deadening panel***8221;.

On mine there are drains front left and right through the A pillar to bicuspid valves in the wheel well area, and rear left and right to flapper valves at the roof line. I checked them clear on purchase and annually during sunroof clean, lubricate and inspect.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Doug. I had found this page on Newtis but it never told how to "clean it". Do you have any special way to vacuum this/these exits? Are you say at the top opening in the sunroof or at the bottom where water is suppose to drain out? What specific devices are you using or suggestion other than a shop vac? My drains at the sunroof have little "barriers" in front of the drain holes making it harder to get a tube in the hole. I assume that the exit on the bottom of the car (which is concealed by the lower car plastic covers) has some type of flap. I haven't been able to check or look at it which requires jacking the car up to remove the covers. I got this picture off of internet of what it looks like. Appears to be one piece. The 90 deg end I assume is at the top next to sunroof.

Attachments

·
Officially a BMW Addict
823 Posts
I have my indy check drains every oil change

·
Registered
2 Posts
Had the same problem with my 2016 F15, tried everything to no avail, so had the local dealer sort it out. Fortunately I was still under warranty so no charge to me, but the process included removal of front seats and carpet to dry them out. No doubt would have been expensive out of warranty.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts