BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sunroof works great except for I have to push up on the glass rite before it shuts or it will bounce back. But its slides back n forth n tilts w no problem. I noticed theres a lil flappy piece that folds down riye before the sunroof closes n I believe it's barely hittin that causin it to bounce back

·
Registered
81 Posts
I had this same problem where the flap began hitting the sunroof when closing which would make it re-open. I used a similar video (see below) to clean the rails (rag and q-tips) and others moving parts then re-grease with lithium grease. Doing this solved my issue.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5SJQckNfIjA
I'm sure they're other videos showing how and where to clean. But if you open the sunroof you can see what moves, chains etc to clean.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I had a faulty wind deflector that wouldn't fold all the way down so it would block the sunroof from closing. I found a couple pieces in the junk yard to replace them and its working fine.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
VaTechM3 I have watch it close and the flap barely sticks a tad hair but aparently enough to bounce it back

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thats what mine was doing too, for a temp solution just to get the sunroof to close to seal it up, which ultimately it wasn't actually doing, but I'd hold the deflector down with my finger, hit the button to close the sunroof, and then release the deflector once the sunroof was past the sticking point.

Some of the parts for that system were ridiculously expensive for some reason so I was able to find some parts from a junkyard car and that solved my problem. There could also be some junk stuffed in there like leaves, sticks, etc. that are preventing the deflector from lowering all the way down.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I would try cleaning everything first. It's free besides the grease. Mine did the same thing and I would have to hold down the flap until the sunroof was past it. My guess is the spring for the flap was dirty and sticking. After cleaning and re-greasing I haven't had any issues.

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
When my 540iT did this back in 2009...I found instructions on how to clean & oil the sunroof rails and it worked for me. Once I cleaned and oiled the sunroof's moving parts etc...the little thingy that the panel keeps bumping into as it closes and makes it stop...started working properly and stayed out of the way of the roof panel when it closed.

How to clean/oil sunroof: http://www.bimmerboard.com/members/q/original/Sunroof Oil-Clean Instructions BMW.pdf

·
Registered
363 Posts
Thanks, I'm having the same problem.

The flap is just not lowering enough, and the glass hits it.

·
Joel
288 Posts
The railing itself must have worn off. Its Aluminium. I stuck some teflon adhesive tape on the worn off portion to level it out and the problem was solved.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts