BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, im planning to purchase a used bmw f10 520i, i have 2 options :

1.has sunroof, but no professional navigation(smaller screen), and no paddleshift
2. no sunroof, but bigger scree, and has paddleshift, it also has a very nice woodgrain trim,

i had cars with sunroof before, and actually im not using it very often, but im just happy knowing that my car has it. my interest is towards the second option, but if anyone has other opinion.

thankyou very much

·
Registered
1,069 Posts

1.has sunroof, but no professional navigation(smaller screen), and no paddleshift
2. no sunroof, but bigger scree, and has paddleshift, it also has a very nice woodgrain trim,

i had cars with sunroof before, and actually im not using it very often, but im just happy knowing that my car has it. my interest is towards the second option, but if anyone has other opinion.

thankyou very much
If I had to pick between the two, I'd take the second one. Even though the BMW Navigation system isn't as user friendly as a garmin, it's nice to have it built-in anyway. There is a 535i xDrive on sale locally that is similar to #1 and they can't move the car. They've dropped the price 25% (and maybe more) in the past year and it's still sitting on their lot.

·
In my own little world
210 Posts
2nd one for sure. the iDrive is the way to go with the bigger screen, even if not for the Nav features. No sunroof can be a blessing for some, rarely used with climate control anyway. And paddle shift probably means sports gearbox and nicer steering wheel?

Did you check the full spec breakdown by putting the VIN in at http://bimmer.work or http://www.bmwvin.com to see what options were installed at factory? There could be other options that may sway you.

·
Registered
51 Posts
paddle shifters over sunroof? I'd rather have the sunroof. I've used my shifter about 7 times since I bought the car. I have my sunroof open as much as I can.

Honestly though...I'd probably not buy either and wait for what you really want. Navigations, sunroof, paddle shifters.

·
In my own little world
210 Posts
paddle shifters over sunroof? I'd rather have the sunroof. I've used my shifter about 7 times since I bought the car. I have my sunroof open as much as I can.

Honestly though...I'd probably not buy either and wait for what you really want. Navigations, sunroof, paddle shifters.
The paddle shifters themselves would not persuade me, it is the other things that often come along with that option (e.g. sports upgrades)

·
Registered
946 Posts
2nd one for sure. the iDrive is the way to go with the bigger screen, even if not for the Nav features. No sunroof can be a blessing for some, rarely used with climate control anyway. And paddle shift probably means sports gearbox and nicer steering wheel?

Did you check the full spec breakdown by putting the VIN in at http://bimmer.work or http://www.bmwvin.com to see what options were installed at factory? There could be other options that may sway you.
There is no difference between the transmissions with the paddle shifters. You're correct, that the steering wheel should be the Sport model which is a bit fatter.

With that said, I'd probably opt for #2. Obviously more info is needed, but I'm assuming similar miles, both are colors that are OK choices for you, etc.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts

I pointed to number two but I agree that there really are too many F10's available to feel that you have to feel that you have to compromise. I personally have found that when I make a purchase that I'm not perfectly settled on, I tend to let it bother me until I replace it with what I really wanted in the first place, usually costing more in the long run.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
There is no difference between the transmissions with the paddle shifters. You're correct, that the steering wheel should be the Sport model which is a bit fatter.
That's only partly true. The paddleshifts come with the Sport Auto Transmission option. The physical transmission is the same, but the SAT option also includes a nicer shift lever and faster/sportier shift programming in M/S mode, in addition to the paddle shifters. Those are worthwhile.

Out of those two, I'd go with #2 for the bigger iDrive screen (you'll enjoy that daily), integrated Nav (much easier than looking at a smartphone), and the nicer sport shift lever, then the paddle shifters themselves.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
That's only partly true. The paddleshifts come with the Sport Auto Transmission option. The physical transmission is the same, but the SAT option also includes a nicer shift lever and faster/sportier shift programming in M/S mode, in addition to the paddle shifters. Those are worthwhile.

Out of those two, I'd go with #2 for the bigger iDrive screen (you'll enjoy that daily), integrated Nav (much easier than looking at a smartphone), and the nicer sport shift lever, then the paddle shifters themselves.
One can also program the SAT with E-SYS (check coding section) and add the shifter and sport wheel w/paddle shifters. Been there, done that, have the T-Shirt (or is it paddle shifters...).

I was helping my daughter buy a car (2012 G37) and it was down to two cars; one with NAV and one without. The salesman (strangely enough) advised she really didn't need the NAV as "everyone" used their phones these days. I pulled out my iPhone 5s and this (with it's ~5" screen) or a 10" screen.... I'll take the bigger screen any day with my not-18-anymore eyes! She has a 7" Tom-Tom we bought for her a few yeas ago so she saved the grand and went with no NAV.

·
Registered
237 Posts

thankyou very much
I'd opt for number 2. I also really like the wood trim in the F10.

·
Registered
946 Posts

I've retrofitted the M Sport wheel with paddles, and have coded my car. I don't notice any difference in the way transmission behaves. Sure the car is different is Sports mode, but really no different with the paddles and SAT coded.

·
Read Only
735 Posts
I have both paddles and (what I call) bump shift manual on my gear selector. My observations and prejudices:

1) The paddle shifters are confusing as to direction. When I need them to move up/down those 8 speeds, I am forever getting them mixed up. Next, they are never where my hands are, because invariably, I am turning when I suddenly want to use the paddles. Thus, the paddles are top and bottom, instead of at 10 & 2.

2) The bump shift lever, that goes from pure automatic to semi-manual by pulling it towards the driver, is very much like a motorcycle's shift mechanism. I have 65K miles on motorcycles and am quite used to sequentially bumping up/down through the gears. The shift lever is always where it is suppose to be, on the center console.

If I were to have spec'd the car, I would have deleted the paddles and opted solely for the bump shift gear selector.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I have both paddles and (what I call) bump shift manual on my gear selector. My observations and prejudices:

1) The paddle shifters are confusing as to direction. When I need them to move up/down those 8 speeds, I am forever getting them mixed up. Next, they are never where my hands are, because invariably, I am turning when I suddenly want to use the paddles. Thus, the paddles are top and bottom, instead of at 10 & 2.

2) The bump shift lever, that goes from pure automatic to semi-manual by pulling it towards the driver, is very much like a motorcycle's shift mechanism. I have 65K miles on motorcycles and am quite used to sequentially bumping up/down through the gears. The shift lever is always where it is suppose to be, on the center console.

If I were to have spec'd the car, I would have deleted the paddles and opted solely for the bump shift gear selector.
Agree. I use the paddles mainly for quick downshift in a straight line, ie passing, where your hands are already in the right position. After three years I don't need to think about which is which, and I press phantom ones when I'm in a loaner/rental without them. For the twisties, the "bump shifter" as you call it, is more appropriate.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts