BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Couldn’t believe it when I saw it today, but does the G12’s sunroof pop up and out of the roof when open instead of down and into the roof, as with the F02 and prior generations?

Looked a little strange, as if shouldn’t be. Cost savings? Headroom benefit?

·
Bimmerfest Founder
15,712 Posts
Probably the panoramic roof. If the rear section is glass the front panel glass has nowhere else to go but over it. This is how I've seen every panoramic sunroof work.

G12 7 Series panoramic roof

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Yeah, exactly... it's the pano.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Yeah, same here. I don't feel like I'm exposed to much sun with it's smaller size and inability to fully slide open. If I were the wealthy guy in the back being driven around I don't think I'd have much of an interest in a sun pane that doesn't even slide open either (it's just stationary glass with a sliding fabric cover), so I personally would opt out of this whole panoramic roof situation if i could.

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i definitely wished it slid further back...still, love the pano roof.
Yeah, same here. I don't feel like I'm exposed to much sun with it's smaller size and inability to fully slide open. If I were the wealthy guy in the back being driven around I don't think I'd have much of an interest in a sun pane that doesn't even slide open either (it's just stationary glass with a sliding fabric cover), so I personally would opt out of this whole panoramic roof situation if i could.
Wow; didn't realize it doesn't open as much as in past; no bueno. :|

We're not driving limos, and I'd rather a larger opening up front.

How does the X5 do it(?); love its huge roof opening.

Smaller than current is somewhat unacceptable.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
It's not as large of an opening in the past, and it doesn't fully slide out of the way - so yes, it is true.

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What the...!?

BMW arrived to the pano scene late and had significant time to refine.

But alas, useless gesture control!

:tsk:

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
My Audi A8L does this, slides OVER the second glass roof. Does the BMW's rear glass at least pop up? my audi does but you can only pop the rear roof up when the front roof is closed or popped up, for obvious reasons.

·
Registered
413 Posts
My Audi A8L does this, slides OVER the second glass roof. Does the BMW's rear glass at least pop up? my audi does but you can only pop the rear roof up when the front roof is closed or popped up, for obvious reasons.
That's the only way to do a 2 section sliding Pano Roof. One has to go over the other. The rear section on the G12 is fixed as it is a structural component.

It could be worse... ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1477359293.811901.jpg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts