BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Very nice DIY. But the glass does not have to be removed in order to remove the shade. All you have to do is just hold the shade closed as you fully open the roof. The shade will be then be exposed and you can lift it out.:thumbup:
How exactly did u achieve that? There is a tab that automatically pulls the sunshade back when you open the glass? Seems to me that holding it shut would break something?

My problem right now is the Driver; the metal that holds the plastic driver in place is bent. I just don't see how to bend it back in place...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi All,

I hvae recently run into the issue where my sun roof will not open in slide mode fully.
It appears as per the forum that something on the lid/cover has broken and prevents the roof from fully opening.

I woud like to use johnewhites plan to open the roof while holding the cover lid closed, however I am not able to close the lid/cover as it gets stuck halfway.

Does that leave me no other option that to remove the roof by lifting it out after removing the 6 torx screws?

thanks
darian
I ran into the same issue. You have to keep giggle the lid back and forth until it comes loose.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Eventually you will have to remove the glass to replace the pieces that fall out as you giggle it cause some will. To loosen it up you could open and close the glass while moving the lid in the same direction. I never got around to replacing the broken clips since other members who did replace them only ended up having the same problem again. the roof is a major weakness in our e46s....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts