BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What it do? Im new here and a BMW junkie, and I'm in Utah. So I have a n54 and am looking 2 swap it in 2 an e30, looking for knowledge and good convo. Where do you guys think I should start? Has anyone done a N54 swap?

·
Registered
222 Posts
I have been messing with BMWs over 25 years and have done many swaps the most difficult I have done is a s54. I have never seen a n54 in a e30. Sounds like it will be a neat project. One of the main issues will be a oil pan. The e30 is at the front and the m50 up are rear oil pan sump. You have to use a e34 525 m50-52 oil pan when putting any of those in a e30. I think the oil pan is gonna be a tough one I don’t believe that pan will fit that block. Mabe someone else knows. I’m just giving you a quick rundown of what to expect and usually you have to swap brake booster for one off a e21 or a Porsche 944. They are smaller diameter and are essentially to doing any of the popular swaps.
Good luck and I look forward to hearing more about this. You should be able to make it because I have seen a few e30s with v8 from 540-740 and v12 from 750i e32. I haven’t even heard of any one doing that swap but would be awesome to see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea I did some homework before going the forum. No one has done it, as far as I can tell. I was aware of the booster, and that the oil pan may be an issue. That is why I joined, I'm gonna need some help and knowledge. Originally I was going to do a S54, but lots of $ just for the engine, plus my blower motor just took out my 335i, so this is the Direction I am taking now. I have the entire E90 minus the blower motor area lol. I seen an E30 where they adapted the E90 subframe to go under it and use the E90 suspension on front and back, but that seems a little past my means. I am thinking I'm definitely going to need a modified subframe to help with the engine

Sent from my SM-T350 using Bimmerfest mobile app

1 - 4 of 4 Posts