BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any body installed those super chips on E39 to enhance the power? Questions;
1- Does it really make any noticanle difference in car's power?
2- Where to buy them?
3- Difficuly grade in terms of installation?

Tnx,

M.

·
Registered
15,586 Posts
Save your money.

·
Thebizzy.com
6,429 Posts
Says the man with 280+ HP.

The Shark Injector is one chip you can get. I have it, didn't seem to improve much but then with a 525 there is only so much you can do. After everything I've done the car does feel much more peppy and at highway speeds with some RPM ala Steptronic it's respectable for what it is. In the end it was a lot of $$ however for very little gains. I got mine at TurnerMotorsports along with my CAI. Good luck!

·
Keeping it surreal
43,208 Posts
Chips (*any* brand) will give you the power of 1000 butterfly farts....

(IOW, save yer hard-earned dough for something more important....like beer)

·
Thebizzy.com
6,429 Posts
I'm pretty sure the op was looking for those of us that have installed them already. Not comments of speculation.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, it was just a thought. Thanks anyway!

·
Technical Graphite > ALL
446 Posts
I have a Conforti chip. Difference was negligible, probably mostly placebo. They'll respond better with other bolt-on modifications obviously, but the power you'll get still is pretty low for the cost input. I'd focus on getting the car in tip-top shape (preventative parts replacement).

·
Touring Canada
62 Posts
When we are talking about chips - does that mean Dinan upgrades as well - Im looking at a 540it with Dinan 5 (15 points)

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
I changed the Vanos seals and the improvement I feel is prolly like what other people feel when they chip a Japanese car. No bul. The cost is no big deal, some wrenching involved if DIY.
Reports on other forums (for i6) are not worth to mention.
If you want power, you have to look at SC-ing the thing, which is costly.
More bang for the buck is swap it with a v8.

·
Keeping it surreal
43,208 Posts

·
Thebizzy.com
6,429 Posts
Here is dyno data for the 2001 to 2003 E39 530. You're looking at about an 8hp or so gain with both the Shark Injector (ECU retune) and modified intake. At roughly $600 for both that roughly translates to about $75 per HP. You have to decide if that small gain is worth it to you. Is it fun to mess around underneath the hood? Yes. Is it enjoyable to see and feel a very small gain from what you have stock if you really want to tinker around and have a few $$ to spend? Maybe. But bottom line is the 525, 528 and 530 aren't ever really going to be fast in any sense of the word without major modifications. Still, it's a good time and something to do to keep you busy if life doesn't have more pressing matters for you to contend with. Regardless, keep us posted on what you do and good luck! :thumbup:

Attachments

·
Thebizzy.com
6,429 Posts
And wow, I just noticed Conforti now has M5 software with significant gains. Interesting..... Still no love for you 540's.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts