Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where can i get a supercharger for an e46 330 ci?

And what price range am i looking at?

Thanx guys

·
Banned
20,151 Posts
Yep, LilE's link is right on.

A friend of mine with a '01 740iL is considering one of these for his car. Shocking, really.

Patrick

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
really

Well yeah im currently considering supercharging my car but i need to get input from people who have actually done them.

cos i dont want to blow up my car in the process of it.

Hope i can get advice from experienced people

·
Registered
205 Posts
You may be better off searching the archives and then possibly asking questions over at dtmpower.net and e46fanatics.com. You'll likely get more of a response there, as a few of them have installed the ESS units.

I'd love to drop in a SC. I'm going to wait a while though to see what other products become available. Word is, there are a couple 'screw-type' SC's in the works. The screw type supposedly creates max boost at lower RPM's, making the additional power more available for street driving.

Coming from a turbocharged Eclipse, I miss forced induction. IMHO, TC or SC cars 'feel' faster than normally aspirated varieties of the same power level, which for me, adds to the 'fun' factor.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Re: really

b8hs said:
cos i dont want to blow up my car in the process of it.
That's another reason I'm going to wait a bit. I have no idea how long-term reliability is for a supercharged M54 engine. The ESS unit only creates 6-8lbs of boost, but over a long period of time, the extra pressure might cause long-term damage to the engine. And instead of paying the $2-3K for ESS's 2-yr waranty, I think I'll wait the 2 years to see how other people's cars are holding up.

The only forced induction systems I really have any experience with are turbos. And while the principle is the same, implementation seems to be totally different..

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
As long as it is a well designed system and the boost is low you should be fine with a supercharger. We have a number of supercharged cars in our club, mostly Dinan, including a E30 325 which has more than a few miles on it and going strong. If done properly a supercharged car will actually pollute less than normally aspirated due to the better mixing of the charge and more efficient burning as well as exhaust gas excavation.

(Doug steps off his soapbox)

·
Registered
215 Posts
There is a article in the new european car magazine ..Some guy supercharged his e46 328ci and is now claiming 300hp..
supercharging done by ess tuning..

·
Registered
595 Posts
posi-blower versus centrifugal blower

in terms of engine longevity, unless there is an electronic decoupler such as that found on the AMG M-benz cars, the positive displacement blower will stress the engine mechanicals the most since boost is applied all of the time.

centrifugal blowers won't even begin to reach 2psi until you're well into the midrange of the rev band. and so the peak 6-8psi is rarely used unless you keep your engine at 6500rpms all day.

the upside of the positive displacement blower is almost worth the risk though because the torque increase is always "on".

just my 0.02.

it's damn expensive and no one is willing to R&D an intake manifold for bmw's for a posi-blower. downing atlanta doesn't have the $$$ to spend on it and Bell engineering doesn't either.

·
Crazy Canadian
1,095 Posts
I am fairly confident in the M54 engine despite its short life so far and firmly believe that the low levels of boost offered by the ESS supercharger wont have any long term effects on the engine.

As was mentioned earlier there are several screw-type superchargers in the works which should prove to be extremely positive, more power on top at low rpms sounds good to me.

That being said, if I were to go as far as spend $6k on a supercharger, I would strongly consider taking my car to a reliable performance shop dealing with BMW's and consider the possibility of a custom turbo.

·
10,856 Posts
Supercharging a 330Ci is very expensive. The total hit you'll take after voiding your warranty (or paying the premium for the ESS one), the reduced resale value of your car, etc. is very likely to either equal or approach the cost of an M3.

It makes, IMHO, a lot more sense on, say, a 330i, or a 325iT, where there are no options for increased power. You coupe people have a shitload of OEM options. Take advantage of them. (Yes, I'm jealous. I'm still irritated that I couldn't buy a 330xiT.)

Nick

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so what do i do

Im not sure here so what should i do wait 2 years and see side effect or just try to go around asking more people?

I am also concerned about the long term effect though
MY friend say its putting pressure on the engine making it more unstable but im not that sure about engine stuff.'

Well thanx for the inputs though;) ;)

·
2001 M3:Stick, what else?
3,300 Posts
Nick325xiT said:
Supercharging a 330Ci is very expensive. The total hit you'll take after voiding your warranty (or paying the premium for the ESS one), the reduced resale value of your car, etc. is very likely to either equal or approach the cost of an M3.

It makes, IMHO, a lot more sense on, say, a 330i, or a 325iT, where there are no options for increased power. You coupe people have a shitload of OEM options. Take advantage of them. (Yes, I'm jealous. I'm still irritated that I couldn't buy a 330xiT.)

Nick
What do you mean? A 330CI and 330i have exactly the same engine.. what performance options do coupe buyers have over non-coupes other than the option to buy an M3??

·
10,856 Posts
The option to buy an M3. Which is a huge advantage.
Nick

·
10,856 Posts
It's not as if a M3/4 or M3/T would be so impossible, either.
Nick

·
Registered
215 Posts
Re: posi-blower versus centrifugal blower

blackdawg said:
[B}
centrifugal blowers won't even begin to reach 2psi until you're well into the midrange of the rev band. and so the peak 6-8psi is rarely used unless you keep your engine at 6500rpms all day.
[/B]

Ess tuning is claiming 7 PSI

·
Registered
23 Posts
8000 miles on an ESS - 323CiC Step

I ordered an ESS unit for my 2000 323CIC (April 2000 build) in early August and received it in late Sept with about 24000 miles on. I have the 6 psi / 270 HP kit for the US 323. My car is a Premium / Sport / Xenon / Nav / Steptronic.

So far I have over 8000 miles on it. After a few early installation issues (I did it myself - I'm somewhat handy around cars having rebuilt an 67 MGB/GT and have done major maintenance on my 86 911, but I'm not an experienced BMW wrench), it's working just fine. The supplied installation instructions work fine for a BMW mechanic, but are a bit incomplete for a DIY install. MarvelPhx (www.my330i.com) should have an excellent installation guide once he receives his 330i kit.

* Love the power. My car is suppposed to go from 170 to 270HP with the kit. The power comes on above 4000 RPM. Boy does it come on ! I would say I drive fairly agressively, but most of my driving is freeway miles.
* The transmission has "learned" about the new power somewhat. In SPORT mode, it kicks down quick and runs to the new redline. On the freeway, it will kickdown to 4th pretty quick, but put your foot in it and it kicks down to 3rd at about 5000 RPM - right in the power band of the supercharger !
* There is a noticable underhood noise from the increased airflow. Not a whine, more like a super size radiator fan.
* Exhaust note has gotten a bit better. Not sure why. I think I'm going to install the new UUC twin exhaust on my car.
* Car is totally stock except for the ESS supercharger. I've removed the 323Ci badge on the trunklid. I get great looks blowing past cars going uphill on the Sunol grade (SF Bay Area). The car easily accelerates from to 100+ up this generally steep grade.
* All said, a great bolt-on improvement. However, I think if I could change something, I'd probably would have kept my 911 another 6-9 months and then would have gotten a 330CiC instead of the 323CiC. And I probably would still put the ESS on it !
* Your displayed fuel economy will be off by about 20%. This is because the BMW computer uses the fuel injector "pulses" to calculate fuel usage. With larger injectors, the calculation is wrong. ESS claims to be working on a "plug-in" calibration unit to change the injector capacity setting in the computer. Turns out that in Europe, dealers can change the setting, but it's not available in the US. (Thank you BMW for protecting us from ourselves ;-> )

Also, ESS says they are working on C.A.R.B. certification for all E46 kits and expect it by the summer. If so, that will save me quite a bit of effort removing the supercharger for a smog check.

PS - another note for you looking at the ESS unit. Figure that your car will be down and out for 10-14 days while your DME is being reworked in Sweden. I sent mine out UPS Express (2-3 day air) from the west coast on a Friday, figuring it would move over the weekend. It was supposed to be delivered Mon PM Sweden time. Instead, it arrived Tuesday. Cost was about $60 to ship (ESS says they supply a FedEx prepaid envelope --- they don't!).

It was sent back from Sweden via mail and was delivered to me by the US Mail. Took 1 week in transit.

·
Registered
595 Posts
supercharging cars which began life as N/A engines....

....they're hack kits and after living with one for almost 2 years, i don't like it.

first: none of these kits save RMS come with intercooling/aftercooling; in hot weather, all of that forced induction power is wiped out: you're left with a cranky engine retarding the timing like crazy to control detonation. this is also highly noticeable on track days. just like turbos, heat soak sets in....but turbos HAVE intercooling.

second: centifugal supercharging--> power on after 4000rpms. that's okay, but the cars really need power in the low rpm range. i know what life is like with an old fashioned M engine displacing 3.2litres.....it doesn't have a lot of torque down low. can't imagine my chagrin and disappointment in a 2.5litre application

third: longevity. there is a steep price to pay in the long run. think that automatic transmission (GM, by the way) will last? nope. manual transmission? have you done a reinforced clutch? bye bye after 10k miles. to cope with the speed, you also need brakes. 323/325 brakes warp like crazy at the track like it is (330s, too!).......

fact is: at the end of the day, the 330 is a far better OEM option. or an M3. i can think of much better ways to spend $12,000 if i had to do it all over again. yeah, double what the initial price is. that's the cost of clutchwork, suspension, brakes, supercharging and labor.

something to think about.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts