Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been told the front support arm bushings are wearing and will be due for replacement soon. Apparently, the bushings cannot be purchased separately from the support arms, which means that the cost for parts and labor is north of $900.

Can anyone confirm if this sounds right? My car is 5 years old and has 35k miles.

Thank you,
Robert

·
Registered
25 Posts
Are those the same as the front thrust arm bushings?

I do know that I brought it to my Indy after BMW dealer told me about it it needing to be replaced - my Indy told me they are fine and that they only replace them when they are falling apart or ripped lol so i haven***8217;t done them yet

Hope that helps

·
Munich Mark - 2014 535XD
826 Posts
Many differing opinions here. Wear on these Bushings is difficult to actually see.

The LCI´s and XDrives have a Hydro Bushing Front Lower Inside that really helps but other than that one all are part of the Two Lower Control Arms so yes the whole assemblies must be purchased. Note XDrive needed Parts are different than RWD !

Upper Wishbone is pretty good, just the lowers and potentially the sway bar connecting arms wear out typically pre LCI around 100K Miles.

Typical problems are a bit wandering front end and steering wheel shaking when braking...

There are cheaper alternative suppliers other than BMW, Lemforder as an example and they are an OEM supplier.

·
Registered
738 Posts
The LCI´s and XDrives have a Hydro Bushing Front Lower Inside that really helps but other than that one all are part of the Two Lower Control Arms so yes the whole assemblies must be purchased. Note XDrive needed Parts are different than RWD !
:yikes: This is the first time I've seen it said that the X-Drives already have the hydro bushing. I will see if I can investigate this from RealOEM or similar.

I have a pre-LCI X-Drive and have never been happy with steering feel compared to past BMWs. Since X-Drive, it was already hydraulic, and forum wisdom was that it was already the best of what's out there. When the LCIs came out, people subjectively said that it drove better, and said it was the hydro bushings. I was considering a retrofit to hydro bushings as part of other work, but not if I already have them! (which could be a little disappointing).

·
Munich Mark - 2014 535XD
826 Posts
Pre LCI XDrives may not have the Hydro Bushing, do a VIN check and then check standard PN’s installed.

Mine has it and with 90,000 Miles no no issues... But I have already purchased a new Lemforder Lower Link Kit and will install later this year as a precautionary measure. $600... includes sway bar mounts as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts