BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
Heehee, I know what those do in my car. What are you planning on doing with them in yours? :D

·
Registered ABUSER!
362 Posts
Aren't those for the rear view mirror?

·
19,585 Miles
11,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
More info

On my '97 318ti there are two rubber holding straps in the trunk to hold things in place. Wanted to try this in my coupe to see if the holding strap supports would work with the thickness of the coupe trunk boards.
I wanted to add three straps to the coupe.

Pieces/parts:

3 each Holding strap 51 47 8 136 450 $5.10 retail each
6 each Support 51 48 7 136 257 $0.45 retail each
6 each Support 51 48 7 136 258 $0.50 retail each

I installed one last night and it works fine.

I drilled two 1 inch holes using a hole saw. Drilling the holes pushed up the bottom of the board and carpet a little. Hammer it down and trim off the edge with diagonal pliers.
Since the bottom support piece has an index tab you have to create a notch in the hole on the inboard edge to accommodate the tab. I used a razor knife to do this.
The top support piece locks into the bottom support piece with the carpet board in the middle. If you try doing this with your hands, they won't go. I placed the bottom support piece on a piece of balsa wood (soft) and hit the top support piece with a rubber hammer. This method locked them into place.
Hardest part of this mod was deciding where to place the straps.

·
Investigative Tinkerer
5,011 Posts
Re: More info

Hardest part of this mod was deciding where to place the straps.
I could've measured the ones in the X5 for you...

·
into things retro
4,541 Posts
Good low cost mod . . .

Are there different length straps (for different model vehicles)? I was wondering how you determined the 24.25 inch distance between holes (or is that what the 318ti had?).

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
One tip I have on its use (or mod if your car doesn't have em already).

The rubber straps, at least for me, seem to pop out really easily from those hold-downs. If you haven't put em in yet, I would suggest separating the ends by another inch or so over the stock distance. What I do is criss-cross the straps (mine has 2) in a X so they're stretched out a little more, that way they don't go popping off at the suggestion of putting anything on top of em.

·
19,585 Miles
11,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Good low cost mod . . .

scottn2retro said:
Are there different length straps (for different model vehicles)? I was wondering how you determined the 24.25 inch distance between holes (or is that what the 318ti had?).
All models I checked use the same strap. The 24.25 came from my ti.

·
Registered ABUSER!
362 Posts
Kaz said:
One tip I have on its use (or mod if your car doesn't have em already).

The rubber straps, at least for me, seem to pop out really easily from those hold-downs. If you haven't put em in yet, I would suggest separating the ends by another inch or so over the stock distance. What I do is criss-cross the straps (mine has 2) in a X so they're stretched out a little more, that way they don't go popping off at the suggestion of putting anything on top of em.
I do the same in my X and everything stays exactly where I placed it even during very hard cornering.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts