Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone, I'm brand new to the forum and hopefully could get some wonderful advice from everyone!!

Here's my situation. I just picked up a 2003 540 with the M5 package which includes the kit and suspension. I wanted to see what springs and shocks would be the best combo for my car??? I also know for some MERCEDES models when you lower them you can buy thinner bump pads to even lower the car more without any effects at all to the suspension. Trying to see if BMW has the same concept...:thumbup:

Secondly I have seen a lot of 530's and 540's with 19" inch wheels on them, although they look good I haven't seen too many people with 20" wheels. Anyone out there know if 20's will fit with some fender rolling???? :thumbup:

I Thank You all in advance for all the future advice and hopefully once things are complete I can post pictures of what you helped me decide!!!!

·
Banned
145 Posts
most people go with bilstein/eibachs or koni/H&Rs. The latter setup (which I have on my 540iT) drops the a little more than the former. Not sure which setup is 'best'. I think both are good. It depends how low you want to go. If you are thinking about 19s or 20s (!), I suggest koni/H&R (eliminate any wheel gap).

I've seen 20s on a few e39s. I can't speak from experience, but I bet that it requires some fender modifications depending on the width of the rim.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank You!!

Thank you for taking the time to give me some friendly advice!!! I guess my next question is in regards to certain BMW's that has the rear looking lower than the front.

What I mean by that is, I've seen my fair share of lowered BMW's that have the rear looking lower than the front. Maybe a lot has to do with the way the fenders are cut but is there a way I can make sure that the car looks even once lowered?? Maybe a specific brand of springs???

THANKS AGAIN

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank You for the info!! Looks like so far people have said H&R's with the Koni's.
I did check with HRE and the rep did say 20 will fit and hopefully the size of those rims will help even better with the overall setup. Thanks Again!!!!:thumbup:

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
mrquach said:
Thank You for the info!! Looks like so far people have said H&R's with the Koni's.
I did check with HRE and the rep did say 20 will fit and hopefully the size of those rims will help even better with the overall setup. Thanks Again!!!!:thumbup:
Make sure to keep us posted.....and post pics with whatever set-up you choose. :thumbup:

·
Registered
598 Posts
Indeed, on Merc there is an option of installing thinner upper spring pads which can
result in overall lowering by 10...20mm max. They come in four or five different
thickness, depending on the model. The nice thing about them is that they leave
the suspension parameters virtually unaltered. However, there is no such option in BMW :(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts