BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI everyone, I have a 2002 330Ci with a rear wheel problem. Since my tires are 255/30r18's in the rear, when I hit a bump or rough patch in the road my tires will tend to rub the fender lip. This is vary trouble some since it will ruin my new tires. I was told from the dealership to either get the fenders rolled, which might chip the paint and cost more then I originally planned to spend, this option doesn't guarntee it won't rub again. Or raise the back end up a half an inch so I can put full load on the rear end and not rub. What do you guys recommend or if there is another option besides changing the tires please let me know, I have to get this done soon, leaving for a west coast road trip in June.

·
Keeping it surreal
43,299 Posts
Whatever you do, DON`T attempt to jack up the suspension ! Your only *real* alternatives are to switch wheels (expensive) or have the fenders rolled (the logical choice). Go to a body shop with experience on BMWs, their fenders are thicker and harder to roll than Hondas, etc. A good body man will use a heat gun to (carefully) soften the paint so it does`nt crack while rolling.

Regards,
Bob

·
ROLL TIDE!
23,984 Posts
Whatever you do, DON`T attempt to jack up the suspension ! Your only *real* alternatives are to switch wheels (expensive) or have the fenders rolled (the logical choice). Go to a body shop with experience on BMWs, their fenders are thicker and harder to roll than Hondas, etc. A good body man will use a heat gun to (carefully) soften the paint so it does`nt crack while rolling.

Regards,
Bob
Wouldn't it make sense to change tire sizes? I run a 225-40-18 and it fits fine. Have you checked your rear shocks to make sure they aren't shot? Also, some "lowering" spring kits actually raise the rear about a 1/2 inch or so, you may try that. Springs are cheaper than all of the above....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The shocks aren't shot, The rear tire are 255/30R18 with an offset of 40, I was told they fit with no rubbing but that was false. There is no going back to skinnier tires since the grip and traction you get from wider tires is amazing at top speed. Rolling is my only option I guess. I asked the dealership to give me some info on the M3 and they said that they are rolled at the factory to fit OEM tires and wheel.

·
TMS
9,288 Posts
The offset on your wheels is evidently too aggressive. How wide are they? You could probably compensate by running a narrower tire. I have the OEM 18" wheel option on my car, but the rear wheels are 18x8.5et50 (running 255/35-18 tires). The ZHP package wheels are the same dimensions as these.

·
Keeping it surreal
43,299 Posts
The offset on your wheels is evidently too aggressive. How wide are they? You could probably compensate by running a narrower tire. I have the OEM 18" wheel option on my car, but the rear wheels are 18x8.5et50 (running 255/35-18 tires). The ZHP package wheels are the same dimensions as these.
Correctomundo, Cliff....the OP would need a rear wheel with a +50 offset to run his current tire width with no rubbing....even then, it would depend on the tire`s profile. At this point, rolling is probably the best option, it would be less expensive than replacing the wheels and/or tires.

Regards,
Bob

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the tires have a squared profile instead of rounded edge, 18x9 in the rear 255/30R18's offset 40. Sounds like rolling is the best way to go, thanks guys.

·
ROLL TIDE!
23,984 Posts
There is no going back to skinnier tires since the grip and traction you get from wider tires is amazing at top speed.
I run M3 wheels (4 fronts) with the above mentioned size. I bet you can't tell a difference between my car and yours. Better shocks/springs and sway bars do more for handling than a 255 tire vs. a 225 or 235 tire. Top speed on a street car is subjective, but you can't go around driving at 100+ on surface streets. BTW, ever notice drag cars run super skinny tires, they exceed 300 MPH.....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The M3 has rolled factory rear fenders, 330Ci's don't so I have to roll them to get the rubbing from stopping. Doing it this week. There is more rubber on the road with wider tires, dragsters have huge tires on the rears to get them to stick and propell, they have skinny tires up front for directional purposes only. Also you turn with the fronts so you can't have wide tires up there or you will rub the insides of the tire when turning. Thats why mine are 225/35R18 up front. I'll post some pics of the rolling once it gets done.

·
Keeping it surreal
43,299 Posts
The M3 has rolled factory rear fenders, 330Ci's don't so I have to roll them to get the rubbing from stopping. Doing it this week. There is more rubber on the road with wider tires, dragsters have huge tires on the rears to get them to stick and propell, they have skinny tires up front for directional purposes only. Also you turn with the fronts so you can't have wide tires up there or you will rub the insides of the tire when turning. Thats why mine are 225/35R18 up front. I'll post some pics of the rolling once it gets done.
Staggered wheels (wider in back than in front) look cool, but promote understeer, i.e., the car would actually handle better with the wider wheels on the front, and the narrow ones out back (it`s all about the balance, m`boy).

Regards,
Bob

·
ROLL TIDE!
23,984 Posts
I think you missed my point.

·
Is it Trackday yet?
8,975 Posts
I run 255/35-18 all around on +42mm offset wheels. I have slight rubbing in the back and it's not due to the fender rolling, they're rolled. Where I get the rubbing is up in the inside of the fender when the suspension is under compression in certain circumstances.

Your +40mm offset wheel is wrong for that fitment and I highly doubt any amount of rolling will correct your problem completely.

You need to pull your rear wheels and have a look see up there and determine where the rubbing is actually happening. It may be rubbing on the fender lip, it may be rubbing higher up too.

Which brand/model tire are you running? My setup was rub free with PS2s, but when I switched to BFG KDW-NTs in the same size, rubbing problems - they run real wide. I'm switching this week to Nitto Invos which I read run a little narrower, more accurate to the published size.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I run M3 wheels (4 fronts) with the above mentioned size. I bet you can't tell a difference between my car and yours. Better shocks/springs and sway bars do more for handling than a 255 tire vs. a 225 or 235 tire. Top speed on a street car is subjective, but you can't go around driving at 100+ on surface streets. BTW, ever notice drag cars run super skinny tires, they exceed 300 MPH.....
Drag cars don't go fast because they have skinny tires on the front. Their only used for guidance. BTW, drag cars have super wide tires on the rear. Not sure what your point was there.

A wider tire will always provide more traction. Staggered tires on a car (wider on the rear and narrower on the front) will always provide better performance/handling/traction than a similar car with narrower equal sized tires all around. A 255 tire is much wider than a 225 tire and will have more ground contact at all times. Not sure if you understand the dynamics of suspensions and tires.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Also you turn with the fronts so you can't have wide tires up there or you will rub the insides of the tire when turning. Thats why mine are 225/35R18 up front.
Your car will handle better with wider tires in the front. I have 245s in the front, and it turns just fine. I would bet 245s all around will handle much better than your 225 / 255 setup, and do it better with no rubbing. It will probably also be more stable at "top speed".

A 255 tire is much wider than a 225 tire and will have more ground contact at all times.
No it won't. Contact patch size comes from the amount of pressure in the tire and the amount of weight on the tire. The shape of the contact patch is better for handling on a wider tire, but the patch is the same size, all other things equal.

·
ROLL TIDE!
23,984 Posts
Drag cars don't go fast because they have skinny tires on the front. Their only used for guidance. BTW, drag cars have super wide tires on the rear. Not sure what your point was there.

A wider tire will always provide more traction. Staggered tires on a car (wider on the rear and narrower on the front) will always provide better performance/handling/traction than a similar car with narrower equal sized tires all around. A 255 tire is much wider than a 225 tire and will have more ground contact at all times. Not sure if you understand the dynamics of suspensions and tires.
My point was you dont need fat tires to go fast, perhaps a bad example.

A 255 tire isn't THAT much wider than a 225-40. And as stated above a staggered set isn't always faster. Besides, we are talking about a STREET driven car, not a race car. Again, I bet you my car handles better than this guy's car with my 225-40's because of springs/shock combo and proper tire selection. Most people (myself included) can;t even drive hard enough to test the limits of a 255 tire, a 225 tire or a 205 tire. It takes skill that has to be honed on the track with instruction and practice. That is why most people don't buy super wide tires.

And I understand suspension and dynamics just fine thank you, eh. If you guys know so much, why are the tires rubbing to begin with? Maybe you all need to look into offsets and spacing? :dunno:

·
Keeping it surreal
43,299 Posts
Staggered tires on a car (wider on the rear and narrower on the front) will always provide better performance/handling/traction than a similar car with narrower equal sized tires all around. Not sure if you understand the dynamics of suspensions and tires.
Not always true....BMWs have a fair amount of understeer designed into the suspension geometry for safety reasons....you don`t want your first experience with oversteer to be in the middle of a high-speed sweeper :) Some cars like Porsche 911s have a rear-weight bias and benefit greatly from staggered wheels (I`m sure some of the old-timers here remember stories from 20 years ago about all the 911s that got wrecked on the way home from the showroom), but BMWs do *not* benefit from them....they just contribute to increased understeer....far from an ideal situation.
BTW, quite a few `festers are pretty well-versed in chassis/handling dynamics....

Regards,
Bob

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The rubbing from the rear fender is only on the lip no other indication of rubbing occurs, I run yokohama S.drive tires, there is no interior tire rubbing from the suspension or from turning, up front i have 225/35R18 with no problems with steer rubbing in any direction. Its just the fender lip.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts