BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought this 1996 328is. I am new to the bmw world so please respect my large lack of intelligence.:) When you look at this car from the front you can see it is very low. If you look closely the front tires seem to tilt inward (aka top of tire leaning in towards engine.) Camber/Caster? Are they the right words?

Anyways, From the side i can just about fit my finger between the tire and fender. The back however appears to be at the stock ride height. What i am trying to do is get the front back to the original ride height using the least amount of money as possible:thumbup: and to fix the front tires from having such a bad tilt to them. I took a picture of the shock, maybe that will help a little. Should i buy all stock suspension?

Attachments

·
hookersandblow
7,254 Posts
Well, it looks like you've got some lowering springs there.. and maybe I'm loco, but there is a pretty good amount of camber on our cars that's set by the factory, and the tires WILL wear on the inside first.

·
Hellawut??
14,546 Posts
I recently bought this 1996 328is. I am new to the bmw world so please respect my large lack of intelligence.:) When you look at this car from the front you can see it is very low. If you look closely the front tires seem to tilt inward (aka top of tire leaning in towards engine.) Camber/Caster? Are they the right words?

Anyways, From the side i can just about fit my finger between the tire and fender. The back however appears to be at the stock ride height. What i am trying to do is get the front back to the original ride height using the least amount of money as possible:thumbup: and to fix the front tires from having such a bad tilt to them. I took a picture of the shock, maybe that will help a little. Should i buy all stock suspension?
if i dont end up selling my car... illl trade stock springs for these....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was told this suspension was a decent amount of money, but i just want the car to be level and not licking the ground. The shocks are made by bilstein. I have tried to tighten them up but it raised the car only 1/4 inch. I need more than that :p . I will try and grab a picture tomorrow of the tire lean but it seems to be alot more that factory would have it.

·
Registered Non-OP
14,496 Posts
Those are coilovers...

·
Fireballs inc.
9,256 Posts
ill trade two stock suspensions for your suspension:D

or i have two bilstien touring struts with 325 springs that ill let go for 80

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
lol those are coilovers leave those in there they are good, the tiltin is camber and its from lowering your car. it will cause a slight uneven wear in your tires but its no big deal, camber is good for handling because when you turn hard that angle will even out because of the force and the tire will have more contact with the road. plus it looks sexy.

·
Registered Non-OP
14,496 Posts
+1 on the sexyness of camber :thumbup:

·
Registered
12,388 Posts
to return to stock ride height, you will need to get oe struts, springs, and mounts. you can measure the rideheight of the rear as well to determine if it, too, has been 'dropped' with springs.

you could also keep the coil overs and install adjustable camber plates if you wish to set camber back to oe specs.

the tilt 'inward' at the top of the tire is called 'negative camber', while an 'outward' tilt at the top is 'positive camber'. this measurement will affect toe, and will also wear tires. caster, however, does not wear tires, and cannot be 'seen' without measuring on an alignment rack.

if you do decide to go back to oe, then i'm sure there are guys (and gals) that would love to purchase these units.

df

·
Fireballs inc.
9,256 Posts
^^^ ill trade!!!!!!!!!! nao

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
also if you want higher the coilovers are adjustable, so you can raise them up if you want. that will also lessen your negative camber.

·
Registered
12,388 Posts
ookaaaaaaaayyy then....:eek: if i wanted to drag the ground i'd ride a skateboard on my belly. that acura looks like it's seen better days, and that if you *did* put a pair of skis on that rack it would probably make the wheels fall off.

:thumbdwn:
df

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
and i just noticed the picture of the coilover it is raised all the way... yet your car is still very low? i know if i raise my coilovers very high ill be pretty close to stock ride height of an m3.
and if your tires are really messed up you probably have bad toe alignment. negative camber doesnt cause that excessive of tire wear, but if you have excessive toe and camber then your tires will wear horribly.

also i would not buy stock new stock suspension because its very expensive new.

where is scranton? i have front m3 shocks and springs that have like 50k miles on them, when i had them on my car they were very nice. i might be willing to sell(cheap)/trade for your front coilovers.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
im actually about 10 mins from scranton. Im from olyphant. You from around here? Maybe you can look over my car see if you can spot something i may have overlooked.

and to answer an earlier reply, i adjusted them all the way and it made like 1/4" height difference.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
no im in california, maybe we can work somehting out if your really in need, and if u adjusted them all the way up, you should have got way more than a quarter inch.. well depending on where it was originally.

btw do you not like the look of a lowered car, and the performance out of coilovers? take pictures of your rear suspension id like to see what the setup is since you said it looked stock.. cause previous owner must have been an idiot if he only put coilovers in the front..

·
Registered Non-OP
14,496 Posts
Camber for teh sexy :D

1 - 20 of 34 Posts