BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 330CI and have been noticing that when I take corners that I have a little more lean than I used to. I am thinking my suspension might be wearing out. I have been looking at suspension parts for my car and would like some opinions on what I should get to stiffen my ride without needing a camber kit. Also, I don't want to buy things that I don't actually need.
So the questions are, can I get away with a new set of springs or do I need the Dampers also?
And should I go with the H&R Cup kit? Or the Eibach Pro-kit system? Or just springs? Or there is the Pro-kit plus with the front and rear sway bars. Thanks to everyone in advance.
Sorry if the questions seem obvious, I'm still a novice at this.
:thumbup:

·
Registered
253 Posts
If you don't plan to AutoX or track the car, just replace the struts/shocks.

If you want less "lean" than before, add sway bars to the struts/shocks.
If you want a stiffer / lower suspension, then change the springs, sway bars, and struts/shocks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are the bushings and shims just a maintenance issue? Like I might as well replace them while I'm down there? Where is a good place to pick them up besides the dealer?

·
TheMalibuMafia
12,882 Posts
Best bang for your buck is the H&R sport cup kit or H&R coilover kit. I kid you not. I've had both and there amazing!. I've also tried PSS9s and KW2 both are absolutely terrible and I have no idea why people love them so much.
Now I just use the H&R sport cup kit.

·
TMS
9,288 Posts
Are the bushings and shims just a maintenance issue? Like I might as well replace them while I'm down there? Where is a good place to pick them up besides the dealer?
They are a maintenance item. I replaced mine along with my shocks and struts at 60k miles. I don't think the dealer sells the shims as those are an aftermarket product. They will limit movement of the RTABs and prolong their life. The shop I use installed Vorschlag shims. I believe my shop also used M3 bushings. Powerflex bushings are a popular aftermarket bushing product, and I know Bimmerworld.com sells those. It looks like Bimmerworld sells shims too.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay. All good suggestions. One more question. Does anyone know how much I can lower my car without changing anything? I noticed all of these suspensions lower my car between 1.4" and 2". Will this be okay with my 18's?

·
TMS
9,288 Posts
Okay. All good suggestions. One more question. Does anyone know how much I can lower my car without changing anything? I noticed all of these suspensions lower my car between 1.4" and 2". Will this be okay with my 18's?
Eibach's lowering amounts are based on a non-sport suspension. Reduce them by 0.6" for cars with factory sport suspension.

As far as suitability with your wheels and tires goes, it depends. What rim width and offset are the wheels, and what size tires do you have mounted to them?

Don't forget that you will need a 4 wheel alignment if you alter the ride height, and if you go with coilovers you should corner balance the car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts