BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So driving along lately, car shakes a bit and creeks/cracks over bumps. I assume I will need a full suspension overhaul but might as well get new shocks/struts at same time. Are all E39 struts/shocks same across all models? I see few companies are different but others are different V6 vs V8

·
Registered
15,576 Posts
No V6 on E39s. Suspension is tuned to the the car and the market. Go here for correct part numbers: www.realoem.com

·
Nothing to read here...
2,694 Posts
No they're not. There are differences in sport and non sport models. There's also diffrences in inline-6(not v6) cylinder models and v8 models.

Use a parts decoder site like realoem.com to decide your vin and get the right part numbers.

Or when you can contact a vendor like Turner or ECS ask them for suspension overhual packages. They can whip you up with a combo deal with maybe even discounts.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh okay. I will check that out.

Would you guys recommend coils or shocks/struts? I like the stiff ride now but needs some low

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Would you guys recommend coils or shocks/struts? I like the stiff ride now but needs some low
The question of which suspension types and setups to go for has been asked multiple thousands of times on every BMW forum out there.

I'd suggest you research and decide what you want, the kind of lowering ability/method you want, how much you want to spend and go from there. Asking a very broad question like this without researching first means you'll get responses that cover every option out there.

From what you've said, I'd say go for BC Racing coilovers as a good mid priced set of quality coilovers.

Cheers, Dennis!

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Based on your initial question that tells me that you aren't hell-bent on switching out your suspension for something radically different. Based on that I suggest you just go with stock suspension components.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Based on your initial question that tells me that you aren't hell-bent on switching out your suspension for something radically different. Based on that I suggest you just go with stock suspension components.
Stock suspension won't provide what the OP is asking for, which is wanting to run a significantly low ride height.

Cheers, Dennis!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts