BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having to replace front thrust/control arms. After getting in rack for first time inspection I found the bushings to be wasted. ECS had a kit on sale for $327 that included the 2 large arms plus 2 smaller ones. Poly bushings. Should be a good upgrade. Anyone have any suggestions on any other replacements I should do? Almost at 100K miles

·
Registered
2017 M2 and 2017 Mustang
2,577 Posts
Have you checked your struts? 100K miles might be a good time to do shocks and struts all around.

·
Registered
37 Posts
We've noticed the M3 upgrades instead of the Poly has been a much more reliable setup with a tighter overall feel. Poly after a short time can crack under stress and tends to be noisy. Let me know if this is something you would be thinking about and I will try to get it within the same price as the ECS setup. Check out the link below, let me know if you have any questions

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/Cart/?add1=339948&qty1=1&pdk1=AQ&utm_source=bgannett&utm_medium=email&utm_content=link2cart&salesrep=bgannett

Thanks !

·
Registered
2017 M2 and 2017 Mustang
2,577 Posts
Check? How do u check struts?
I just grabbed this off of another forum. I guess you could call them shocks, but they do carry the mount for the front spring.

Signs your struts are wearing down
When struts wear down, it affects your car***8217;s handling and turning ability, Hawley says.

Here are a few signs they need to be replaced:

***8226; Hydraulic fluid will leak out from one or more of the struts, if they***8217;re breaking down.

***8220;The top of the strut will be wet,***8221; Mogab says. ***8220;Hydraulic oil will be running down the strut.***8221; Because the oil often is not visible, your mechanic can spot leaks during an inspection.

***8226; Pushing the hood car down by hand is another easy way to check the condition of the struts.

***8220;If everything is OK, the car will come up and settle immediately and not bounce one to four times,***8221; Hawley says.

This can also be said when you hit a bump while driving. If the car continues to bounce and doesn***8217;t settle quickly, it***8217;s a sign the struts are wearing. A car that bottoms out is also a sign the struts may be wearing out. Bottoming out is caused when the coil springs are worn and allow the car to dip close to the ground or touch the ground after hitting a bump.

***8226; Tire wear or uneven wear is another warning sign, Mogab says. Worn struts can lead to tire cupping, which causes your back tires to sound like a basketball is being dribbled down the road while you drive.

***8220;Tire wear will be the first telltale sign [your struts are wearing down],***8221; Mogab says. ***8220;There will be high and low spot patterns on the tire and bouncing of the wheels on the road.***8221;

·
Banned
10,015 Posts
Having to replace front thrust/control arms. After getting in rack for first time inspection I found the bushings to be wasted. ECS had a kit on sale for $327 that included the 2 large arms plus 2 smaller ones. Poly bushings. Should be a good upgrade. Anyone have any suggestions on any other replacements I should do? Almost at 100K miles
Dude! 100k mi? Your shocks are roasted!

Here's what you do:

• Buy & install Koni FSD's
  • Must have Sport Option or BMW Performance Springs - get 'em if you don't got
  • Install M3 rear subframe bushings
  • Install M3 front arms - wishbone & tension

So. Why M3 arms? A-cause they don't use wimpy stock rubber - they use Delrin just like Ferrari and Porsche. And M3. Yes! You'll love the new-found precision.

Icing on that cake: Wavetrac

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cal, M3 arms ordered yesterday so I'm on the right track. Been researching Struts. Throw me a link to exactly what u are referring. Palease

·
Registered
8,080 Posts
FYI, M3 front control arms will add negative camber and will increase tire wear. Its not a lot of increased wear but its more than non-M arms.

I've never had any issues with poly bushings cracking or making noise. As long as they are lubricated properly, should be fine.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Dude! 100k mi? Your shocks are roasted!

Here's what you do:

• Buy & install Koni FSD's
  • Must have Sport Option or BMW Performance Springs - get 'em if you don't got
  • Install M3 rear subframe bushings
  • Install M3 front arms - wishbone & tension

So. Why M3 arms? A-cause they don't use wimpy stock rubber - they use Delrin just like Ferrari and Porsche. And M3. Yes! You'll love the new-found precision.

Icing on that cake: Wavetrac
Do TRW M3 arms use Delrin or just OEM?

·
Registered
37 Posts
TRW M3 arms would use a solid rubber bushing instead of a fluid filled bushing that would be standard on the non-m, if that is what you are asking. Delrin was made for a class of racing to get around certain rules and is not usually used in OE parts.

·
Banned
10,015 Posts
Do TRW M3 arms use Delrin or just OEM?
My info's that they use Delrin - they are purported to be BMW's OEM supplier and TRW arms have been shown to have the BMW moniker filed off. Best check with TRW for peace o'mind.

• Result: They sell for way less than BMW arms.
  • Caveat: Rumored to be seconds. Are they??? Dunno!

·
Banned
10,015 Posts
FYI, M3 front control arms will add negative camber and will increase tire wear. Its not a lot of increased wear but its more than non-M arms.
Fact Check: True!

But, OH! Whatta feeling! I gladly trade some inside tread wear for the utterly confident and linear feel of -2.5° Camber, all around. Can't get that with no stock suspension.

·
Registered
709 Posts
bushing life

I've never had any issues with poly bushings cracking or making noise. As long as they are lubricated properly, should be fine.
how long / miles should i expect my 2011 sub frames bushing to last?

·
Registered
8,080 Posts
how long / miles should i expect my 2011 sub frames bushing to last?
Yea for most people, subframe bushings won't have to be changed but as Cal said, M3 bushings are solid and provide a noticeable improvement in how planted the rear end feels

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
M3 Control arms installed and alignment performed. Drives great! Found out my shocks were replaced so not replacing them right now. Too much other work to do for tuning. Allocating funds there right now. Plugs replaced. All coils replaced. Stage 2 LPFP installed. Inline FP sensor replaced. Walnut Blast successful w new seals. AND STILL HAVE A MISFIRE! Doesn't matter the tune. E85 or not still have a slight misfire. Cold crank is not smooth. WHAT GIVES!?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts