BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
BMW Fahrer
4,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the opportunity to drive again my ex-98 M3 for a day - the current owner wanted to do a car swap with my ZHP, check it out... so how could I refuse? :D

Put the child in the rear, wife to my right, driving shoes on - and away we went! In no particular order, here are my observations:
- Smaller interior. Not cramped, but tight. :dunno:
- Worse ergonomics, especially seats. Looks pretty, doesn't hold you. :thumbdwn:
- Lots and lots of noise, creaks and rattles - but then again it has almost 70k miles. :dunno:
- INSTANT throttle response. Most excellent feature of the car. :thumbup: :thumbup:
- Nice progressive clutch - better than the ZHP. But stiffer pedal action requires care... :thumbup:
- Worse brakes. Say what? Well although the E36 was running Euro rotors and Ultimate pads, honestly I thought the ZHP had better brakes, especially now with the SS lines. :yikes:
- But the E36 also had less brake dive. :thumbup:
- Well, I leaned on it a little bit, but her owner (now in my ZHP) kept up, matching move for move. It happens the same way when we drive our own cars, no surprises. :dunno:

I liked the throttle response the most - it's the only thing I really wish the ZHP had.

Anyway, the E36 M3 remains a great driver's car, raw and unfiltered. :thumbup: I'm not sure I'd want one now, unless for a track car. But an interesting and exciting driving event.

·
Protect your (lug) nuts
4,571 Posts
Of course theres a huge difference. The E36 was last century's technology. It was good in its day, and still is good to those who keep and maintain them, but the safety features and improvements are 200% better today then they were 8 years ago.

·
BMW Fahrer
4,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MrTex said:
Of course theres a huge difference. The E36 was last century's technology. It was good in its day, and still is good to those who keep and maintain them, but the safety features and improvements are 200% better today then they were 8 years ago.
Actually, the E46 is also last century technology, since it came out in 1999. And given the 4-5 year design cycle (minimum) for these cars, it's possible the E90 was too. :rofl:

I had to alter my ZHP in various ways to make it a little more like the E36 (intake, sways, pulleys, SS lines, pads, strut bar, alu gas pedal etc.) - and it still is not it's equal in one of the main categories. :dunno: And still no LSD... :(

There is no free lunch, I guess.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.