BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Experiencing -30 to -40 weather here currently and it's brought out a squeak coming from the rear driver side tire over any little or big bump. After reading other threads the consensus is new sway bar bushings are needed however I don't live near a dealership. Are bushings common that any mechanic would have or am I going to need to order them through a dealership. 2008 328xi 130K.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
10,963 Posts
Experiencing -30 to -40 weather here currently and it's brought out a squeak coming from the rear driver side tire over any little or big bump. After reading other threads the consensus is new sway bar bushings are needed however I don't live near a dealership. Are bushings common that any mechanic would have or am I going to need to order them through a dealership. 2008 328xi 130K.

Thanks guys.
I'm quite sure that your bushings are getting a little "hard" at those temps. What do you expect! Are you in Antartica?

·
Banned
10,511 Posts
Sturgeon Falls relatives say: Lake's finally frozen over. Yup, Ice Shack time!

Though a joyous occasion, starting your BMW in such a clime has its challenges. One such is solid, solid elastomers. Try a low temp penetrating lube, something not common here, but perhaps available in the Great White. Caution: Water soluble lube may not be the best solution.

Are Golbal Warming believers pressing their case?

Emoticon Yellow Smiley Smile Icon

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
At that temp you are better off ignoring creaks, crunching noises, TPM sensors and slow starts. As long as it starts you are good and all will be better when it warms up. Of course if you get low pressure warning check the psi in your tires. It will probably be normal.

·
Here comes trouble!
8,670 Posts
I consistently get squeaks if I drive in heavy rain. After a day or so it seems the bushings (or something in the front suspension) are dried up again and the squeak is gone. I'll just assume they are still fine then since some observe this behavior while the car is brand new.

In short, if something causes a squeak at certain times, but then goes away, I wouldn't worry too much about it. In your case, driving the car in -40 F temperatures probably is near the design limits of just about any car. If this improves as temperatures rise, I wouldn't blatantly replace the bushings.

·
Registered
15 Posts
i think i've been getting this recently in the rear suspension. at first i thought it was some shimmy at the tailgate producing squeaking in the tailgate seal but have since confirmed it's suspension.

i'm gonna live with it for a while more as winter sure as hell isn't letting up anytime soon! (minus freakin 23*C indicated on the cluster on the way to work this morning!!! WTF is that about?!)

perhaps when it warms though, get some bearing grease into the bushing? free.99 solution?

is there another possible source of the squeaking? i'm not familiar with the car yet so no educated guessing possible on my part

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I soaked mine in transmission oil for an hour or so.. Solved the problem for a couple weeks. It's so dry and salty here that unfortunate it's back.. If u just keep greasing it it will go away.. Or live with it until spring, all the water on the road with flush out any salt/sand buildup.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
15 Posts
well, there's no freakin way i'm dealing with this crap on my back in my driveway right now!!! will live with it for the next little while till it warms up. gotta do the rear brakes and some other tuneup work in the spring anyways...

global warming shmobal morming eh?! tell that to the snow on the roof of the house!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.