Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To those who have swaybars from UUC or RD, do they clunk after they wear in a bit? I was told that due to the adjustable link in the rear that after they wear in a bit that they would be prone to clunking when say going up a driveway or such.
Thanx again for the last time

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
bonrob said:
To those who have swaybars from UUC or RD, do they clunk after they wear in a bit? I was told that due to the adjustable link in the rear that after they wear in a bit that they would be prone to clunking when say going up a driveway or such.
Thanx again for the last time
I've had my sways for over 1.5 years now, and all you need to do is periodic adjustment and greasing and they're whispery quiet. I go underneath every 6 month to tighten everything.

And it turns out, the stock suspension parts are making most of the clunks and squeaks anyway...I had to tighten the rear shock mounts the last time and almost all the suspension noises went away.

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
After 7 or 8 months now, my RDs are finally starting to show signs of noise. The fronts squeak (noticeable with windows down and going over a speed bump) and there are a couple of different clacking noises from the back, although they seem to be coming from pretty high up, so I'm gonna look at the rear upper shock mount too. Now, BMW's been using this rear mount design for 18 years, and still can't get it totally right. :rolleyes:

Time to get under the car...

Now, how are people disconnecting the rear bar to grease it without running into the problem of getting it back on? The two times Vince and I installed rear bars, we had a HELL of a time getting both rear brackets mounted up. One of us had to hang our weight on the bar while the other pounded on the bracket.

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Kaz said:
After 7 or 8 months now, my RDs are finally starting to show signs of noise. The fronts squeak (noticeable with windows down and going over a speed bump) and there are a couple of different clacking noises from the back, although they seem to be coming from pretty high up, so I'm gonna look at the rear upper shock mount too. Now, BMW's been using this rear mount design for 18 years, and still can't get it totally right. :rolleyes:

Time to get under the car...

Now, how are people disconnecting the rear bar to grease it without running into the problem of getting it back on? The two times Vince and I installed rear bars, we had a HELL of a time getting both rear brackets mounted up. One of us had to hang our weight on the bar while the other pounded on the bracket.
That doesnt' sound right. The rear brackets were a piece of cake to get off and on...You need to bang UP to get the brackets to come loose.

Why don't you stop by sometime in the near future and we'll get your car up on jacks to take a look? Especially since it sounds like your bushings needs lubing.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Kaz said:
The two times Vince and I installed rear bars, we had a HELL of a time getting both rear brackets mounted up. One of us had to hang our weight on the bar while the other pounded on the bracket.
I experienced problem getting the brackets on when I tightened one of them too much before I did the other one. If you tighted each a bit at a time, they go on much easier.

I lubed them last summer when I heard squeeks but haven't had any since. The bushings are much easier to work with than when they were brand new.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts