BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been going back and forth on upgrades to help with handling and body roll ..... especially in turns. What's the best when it comes to sway bars?? I see BMW has one for about $300 is it worth it or should I look elsewhere?

·
Worlds Foremost Authority
15,956 Posts
Been going back and forth on upgrades to help with handling and body roll ..... especially in turns. What's the best when it comes to sway bars?? I see BMW has one for about $300 is it worth it or should I look elsewhere?
Suspension set up is somehwat of a Black Art and you have a good shot at doing more harm than good. What are you trying to accomplish? What are you trying to improve? Is the car leaning exdessively on turns? Too much understeer?

Is your suspension setup stock or has it already been modified? What kind of shape are the shocks in?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sway Follow up

Captain

Trying to decrease body roll and lean in turns. No suspension work at this point. Everything is still stock on 17' RFT's. Tires are Cont Grand Tour All Season that came on vehicle. (Conti Pro Contact SSR's). I like to hold the road in turns and not throw the passengers into my lap ..... or the kids into each other. Car is a champ just looking at possible improvements to handling and ride.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Follow Follow Up

:p Mike (This Board) Suggested I bounce the sway bar question and recommendations out to the board and see what comes back

·
Registered
213 Posts
I see some pretty beefy sway bars under there - I'm not sure how you could replace those with something with more heft and not add a lot of weight to the suspension. If you can find a better strength to weight sway bar it'll still be fairly costly to replace them.
AJ

·
BigTime Defender
337 Posts
As has been suggested, there are a ton of ways to mod suspension. Several of the bimmerfest sponsors offer individual parts or packages. Check some of them out for ideas.

·
Better with Butter
2,526 Posts
Recommend lighter wheels. This will reduce skipping over rough pavement and lower unsprung weight. If you need more, get stickier tires.

If you STILL need more after that, then it starts getting a little more difficult: The stock setup is pretty well sorted. Adding stiffer sway bars will change some of the character of the drive, including under- and over-steer characteristics...difficult to set up without some trial and error.

·
Registered
6,805 Posts
I doubt the lighter wheels will affect body lean. The lighter wheels will impact braking and acceleration and possibly how the car responds to bumps in the road. One thing to consider that has relatively minimal negative side affects - improved shocks. Koni FSDs are the first thing I would change in the suspension. If you still want more, then you need to find a really competent suspension tuner. There will be trade-offs. For example, you could solve the body lean issue at the expense of dramatically worse ride harshness.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to all

Overall seems like lots of good suggestions. I'm going to go with new shocks, sticky summer tires and leave her at that. I am going to keep the 17's I believe or possibly go with 18's all around no stagger (that is a 50/50). Unsure if I'll keep the run flats .... if so possibly the Michelin version. THANK YOU to everyone who indulged my incessant questions. Seems some were a little irritated ... but hey when you need to know ... go to those in the know. I'll let you in on my findings

·
Better with Butter
2,526 Posts
I doubt the lighter wheels will affect body lean. The lighter wheels will impact braking and acceleration and possibly how the car responds to bumps in the road. One thing to consider that has relatively minimal negative side affects - improved shocks. Koni FSDs are the first thing I would change in the suspension. If you still want more, then you need to find a really competent suspension tuner. There will be trade-offs. For example, you could solve the body lean issue at the expense of dramatically worse ride harshness.
Yeah, you're right: I should have read the original post more closely. They will help on the bumps for sure.

Overall seems like lots of good suggestions. I'm going to go with new shocks, sticky summer tires and leave her at that. I am going to keep the 17's I believe or possibly go with 18's all around no stagger (that is a 50/50). Unsure if I'll keep the run flats .... if so possibly the Michelin version. THANK YOU to everyone who indulged my incessant questions. Seems some were a little irritated ... but hey when you need to know ... go to those in the know. I'll let you in on my findings
Good call.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts