BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my newe 05 330xi into a local "chips away" scratch/dent repair center to fix a small scratch on the lower portion of our bumper. I felt fairly confident in the place, they were working on a BMW, a Benz, a volvo and Jaguar when I pulled up. They fixed the scratch, but when I picked up the car right before the office closed (near dusk) I noticed that the vehicle had been washed, (washing the vehicle wasn't discussed during the estimate). I figured that that sinced they were a paint repair center, they would know how to wash a vehicle properly. I figured wrong. When I took it out of the garage into the sunlight on Saturday it looked as if someone had let a 12 year old wash the vehicle with an SOS pad. Swirl marks galore. In the two months that I have owned the car, painstaking effort has been made to insure that there were no swirl marks. I can barely look at the car now. I went to the repair center Saturday morning but they were closed. I left them a note detailing my issue and put it in there drop slot. I intend to call them tomorrow and speak to the manager/owner of the place. Any tips or advice?

· @sshole
119 Posts
With Clear coat paints its no biggie....i own a detail shop and a good buff and wax will get rid of swirls....its hard to keep paint perfect...weather,sun,washing,dust,pollen,bird poop etc; all work to make your paint look crappy....a good wash,mild compound,buff,wax....or a full-on multi-stage compound wax process can work miracles. Don't sweat it....just make sure the shop who did it understands how shoddy the work was and the cost you will incur to fix it.

I have a Buick Grand National with a 15 step, $8000 paint job (for show, its a business tool ;) )....i have spent 12hrs and about 30 runs with compounds,waxes,polishes,sealers to get it back to a mirror-literally....and then it sits outside and is driven,used,shown and it all returns to scuffs,nicks,swirls ....its frustrating but its life. Find a good detail shop near you that does exotics....and make friends with the tech's :D

---cg----

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.