BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I had some hard water marks on the roof of my steel grey coupe that I had to remove using a paint cleaner (the lightly abrasive stuff).

After removing the marks I noticed "spots" of very light swirls at the affected areas. The swirls are quite dense by not deep - they can only be seen in direct sunlight.

I am wondering how to get rid of these swirls - I have some 3M Imperial Hand Glaze (for dark colored car). I am wondering whether the 3M stuff will take out the swirls.

Also, should I apply the Hand Glaze using a buffer machine, or by hand? - and should I use a microfiber rag or some other material?

Please help, so that I avoid making things worse :cry:

Thanks!

JSE

·
Premium Member
11,052 Posts
Apply the Hand Glaze by hand, using the same method you would apply wax. You should do more and more layers of the glaze until you are satisfied with the results. Then apply wax over the area.

A cotton towel should be sufficient.

·
Premium Member
11,052 Posts
Re: Is the Glaze a polish?

jse said:
Or does it just fill in the scratches?
Filler. It's probably the best thing to start out trying since you can't really screw up (it's non-abrasive).

·
Registered
51 Posts
something i was wondering...

i've got a bit of swirlage on my hood, and I was wondering... does 3M IHG actually remove the swirl marks, or does it just temporarily fill them? And how do you keep from creating more swirl marks when you're doing those rotary application motions they suggest on the side of the bottle? Just curious...

[edit: it sounds like this got answered earlier... it's a filler, not a fixer. thanks.]

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's a filler (the 3M stuff)

Anyway, I fixed my problem with some mild polish (SONAX Xtremee Polish+Wax 3). Worked wonders on the swirls and fine scratches.

JSE

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
alee said:
Apply the Hand Glaze by hand, using the same method you would apply wax. You should do more and more layers of the glaze until you are satisfied with the results. Then apply wax over the area.

A cotton towel should be sufficient.
Do you let IHG dry before buffing off ?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts