BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if there is a fuse in the Z44 fuse board that I can piggy-back onto which switches power on and off with the START/STOP button, and powers down immediately (i.e. not one that stays powered for ~8 minutes after the ignition has switched off).

Thanks in advance for any answers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i don't know if they are the same, but on a left hand drive car (2018 G30) fuse F59 on Z44 is completely unused and is directly connected to the switched 12V power bus in the panel.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you adki110.

I have seen posts on F59 being used for dashcams, etc., but I’m pretty sure that I read that F59 doesn’t power down immediately when the STOP button is pressed -it stays powered up for around 8 minutes.

Perhaps someone could confirm this?

·
Registered
10 Posts
OK, somewhat confusing. When I unlock and open the door it powers up. If I turn the car off with the Start/Stop button it times out. However if the Start/Stop function is active the power cycles with the engine. o_O

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again adki110.

When you say it “times out” do you mean the ~8 minute delay before it switches off? Please would you explain what you mean by “cycles with the engine”.

I have a safety camera (aka speed camera) detector and at present I’m using an adaptor in the power outlet at the back of the centre armrest to power it. This does not power down immediately after I press the STOP button, and so the device’s display remains on for around 8 minutes.

I am waiting for a hard wire kit to be delivered, I’d like to connect that to a fuse that does shut down when the STOP button has been pressed, and the car has been locked, so that the display does stay on not on for ~8 minutes after I have left the car.

Do you think F59 meets that requirement?

·
Registered
10 Posts
!. When I unlock the car F59 powers up.
2. When I park, exit and lock the car F59 has a delay power down, how long, I have never felt the need to time it.
3. When the engine is in Stop/Start mode if the engine stops at a light F 59 turns off, F59 turns back on when the engine restarts.
F59 in my car powers a dash camera. I hope this clears up any confusion.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks again for you help.

So, it doesn't sound as though F59 does what I'm trying to achieve. I'll continue my search for a solution.

It's a little hard to know which bits of kit in the car remain power up for the delay time and which shut down immediately. One thing I have noticed is that the instrument display does power down as soon as I open the door to get out of the car, so maybe I could tap into that power line (if I can identify it and connect to it).

Just out of interest, does your dashcam turn on and off with the engine in STOP/START mode (so, for example, the dashcam stops recording if you are stopped at traffic lights)?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 2020 550ix and I found that F221 seems to cycle with the engine. I don't think it's on Z44 but you could also check F71 to see if it behaves the same. It doesn't power up until the engine is started and powers off as soon as the engine is turned off. I don't know how it behaves during auto start/stop.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I check and it doesn’t. It’s on when the ignition is off so I guess it’s another one that powers up and down like the power outlet sockets with a delayed power down.

Maybe someone will eventually come up with a candidate.

The other thing that I’ve found frustrating is the apparent complete lack of any information the fuse chart symbols mean. Some of them look fairly intuitive like the symbol of a car door with a key in it. Central locking would be my guess - but why are there 9 fuses, and how do you find out what those 9 fuses do? I’ve scoured the Internet, but can’t find anything.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sorry to hear about F71. As for the symbols, you can do an online search. Search for "E63 Fuse Layout" and one of the images that comes up is a diagram with quite a few of them explained.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts