BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
BMW Driver
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any jack in particular that they would recommend for the 3er(335xi).

As of right now I have 1 of my old rims in the trunk with no jack.

1) Something small in size that can get the job done and
2) maybe even fit in the compartment under the trunk(I don't have my car now and can't picture that space under the trunk.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I guess I better do this too...I'm getting non RFT installed next week for the winter. Suggestions for spare tire...or just push the button for BMW assist and let them take care of it? Does that work? How long does it typically take and what do they do? tow you or change your tire or what?

·
Registered
224 Posts
I guess I better do this too...I'm getting non RFT installed next week for the winter. Suggestions for spare tire...or just push the button for BMW assist and let them take care of it? Does that work? How long does it typically take and what do they do? tow you or change your tire or what?
I'd like to know too. The BMW web site doesn't give details. Someone mentioned that BMW assist won't support non RFTs (either wouldn't repair the flat or maybe only tows you to BMW that won't do it), but can't remember.

·
Gooble Goobledygoook
955 Posts
Anyone have any jack in particular that they would recommend for the 3er(335xi).

As of right now I have 1 of my old rims in the trunk with no jack.

1) Something small in size that can get the job done and
2) maybe even fit in the compartment under the trunk(I don't have my car now and can't picture that space under the trunk.

Thanks
You can try the BMW jack kit. It's not small enough to fit in the compartment though. If you try something else, you need to make sure that it fits the jack bracket: the top of the jack has to fit within the bracket.

·
Gooble Goobledygoook
955 Posts
BMW will get a tow truck company to tow you to the closest dealership. I got the driver to tow me home, since the dealership's closed. It took about 45 minutes for me, I guess it depends on how far the towing company is. My tire could not be inflated, the sidewall ripped so another tire is needed.

·
Registered
201 Posts
A $20 scissor jack is small enough to fit in the compartment in/under your trunk along with a breaker bar, extension & deep well socket. I keep a set of wheel chocks in the trunk as well to prevent the car from rolling off the jack!

·
Registered
224 Posts
BMW will get a tow truck company to tow you to the closest dealership. I got the driver to tow me home, since the dealership's closed. It took about 45 minutes for me, I guess it depends on how far the towing company is. My tire could not be inflated, the sidewall ripped so another tire is needed.
In that case, do you/does anyone know whether a dealer will patch a regular flat tire? My guess is the answer is no, is a bummer since the prepaid towing service isn't helpful when it takes one to BMW.

·
Freedom isn't free!!
2018 Glacier Silver 340i M Sport
19,959 Posts
In that case, do you/does anyone know whether a dealer will patch a regular flat tire? My guess is the answer is no, is a bummer since the prepaid towing service isn't helpful when it takes one to BMW.
Those who are "old fashioned" enough that they want non-RFTs and a spare and jack don't call BMW Assist for a flat. They change it themselves, then take the damaged tire to a tire shop to be either repaired or replaced.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I hit the sos button once when the dealership made a mistake installing my new brakes. It took them a little more than an hour from the time I hit the button. At that point they towed me to the dealer for repairs.

·
Gooble Goobledygoook
955 Posts
I didn't try, I suspect the SA will look at me funny (since I'm supposed to be on RFT, but I'm not). I took the tire to one of them general tire places, where they ordered me a new one (sidewall ripped, no chance of patching). I also think the towing company will agree to tow the car to any place (within some number of miles), so you can get him to tow it to a tire place too. In my case I got towed home.

Those who are "old fashioned" enough that they want non-RFTs and a spare and jack don't call BMW Assist for a flat. They change it themselves, then take the damaged tire to a tire shop to either be repaired or replaced.
I didn't have a spare then, I have one now :) That time I had the mobility kit with me, but I couldn't even inflate the tire, so it was pretty much useless. And it was dark and snowing then, I couldn't even find the leak, though I did hear the hissing.

·
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest!
932 Posts
The BMW Jack seems kind of expensive at $65.

Has anyone tried out another off brand of jack?
Not sure where you are finding it for $65. It's $127 at Tischer for the jack kit. If you just want a jack to carry around in the car, I think it's a good kit, including a torque wrench, wheel chock and even cotton gloves.
The nice thing is that it fits into the little jack point slot, just like it was designed to do. Other jacks you have to use a spacer, if you don't want to break the plastic slot, either that or lift the car at another point.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I found a jack from an old VW that fits nicely. It's a screw type that sits on an angle from the body of the car allowing use of the crank handle on top. The lifting portion of the jack is set up for a seam in the body but with a little bit of grinding it fit nicely into the plastic lift pocket on our E91. Whatever you buy, try it once to be sure that it will work in an emergency. Mounting the spare on the front axle to check brake clearance is also a good test.

I carry a good breaker bar for the wheel bolts and an alignment pin for mounting the spare wheel onto the tiny hub lip. The pin holds the wheel in place while four bolts are installed. A torque wrench is over kill but if you are a fanatic one of those would be good to carry as well.

Finally, be aware that BMW hubs corrode and getting the wheel off can be difficult. When testing your jack apply some anti-seize compound or heavy grease to the mating surfaces of each wheel and hub.

For a simple nail puncture a pressurized can of sealant is still the easiest and most effective way to get home where the tire can be plugged, in my opinion.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts