BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have no idea whether this is a big ask or a small ask - but maybe one of you can tell me.

I think the Y-spoke 17" wheels on the 2016 228i are better looking than the star-spoke 17" wheels on the 2017 230i I'm getting ready to order for ED.

Would a dealer be willing to put the 2016 wheels on my 2017 car - switching them off one of the closeout 2016 models on the lot?

Let me know how easy or involved this is.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,464 Posts
He won't do it on a new car. He's not going to remove something that is part of the car's original build. That's not going to happen unless he puts that car on his showroom floor and then removes the OEM wheels and replaces them with one of BMW's overpriced larger wheels from the parts department and then marks up the heck out of them. That's possible, sure.

Simply talking him into swapping the new OEM wheels from a new 2016 with new OEM wheels from a new 2017 is almost certainly going to be turned down but you can ask. I guess. I would be very surprised if you can get anyone to do that. Good luck!

:)

P.S. -- If he happens to have a set of 2016 OEM wheels that he removed from a car in order to install higher priced larger wheels from his parts department and still has those 2016 OEM wheels in the parts department, then you would have to talk him into doing a swap for those and see how much the parts department wants to charge for that service.

The sales department can't get the parts department to agree to anything unless the parts department is making something out of it. Everything the sales department gets from the parts department is marked up at the dealership's internal rate but it is marked up. When you see a general manager stick a car on the showroom floor with a whole lot of stuff added to it to pad the dealer's addendum to the MSRP, everybody's getting a piece of that pie -- usually the parts department to pay for it, the service department for labor to install it and the sales department for profit over and above the other two departments when they sell it. Something for everybody. So you would be paying something extra to the parts department, plus labor to the service department to do the swap and maybe even a little extra to the sales department to make it worth their while to even get into something like this. ;)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks a bunch for this answer. Maybe it will help someone else.

Actually, I just found a better photograph of the style 379 wheels and they look better than I thought. :)

So hard to tell from those b/w images in the ordering guide. I just didn't want a mostly gray/black wheel...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts