BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
David
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry to be a cry baby, but wow this morning on my way to class I lost it. I don't know exactly what happened but, this is what I think happened. Someone backed up into my car, then opened their door quickly causing it to ding my door, and then either rested their body or something heavy on my hood while examining the hood of my car. That's what I'm guessing at least considering there is a huge dent on the front bumper of my car, a knick on car door, and a dent on my hood. I don't think the door knick or the small dent on the hood matter that much to me at this time, probably because of the massive problem on my bumper. I've looked around for other cars that might have scratches that match mine, but most people have trucks with huge chrome bumpers and stuff :(

Anyways, so I guess what I'm asking is what should I do,

Report it to my insurance?

Fix it at a collision shop?

Order an Oem replacement bumper?

Or Order a nice custom one?

The way I see it is if it only cost's a little more to get a brand new bumper or even a brand new custom one maybe I should go that route. I'm really not sure, I'm thinking getting a painted one is going to cost a lot more. I don't wanna blow a bunch of money but I think if I get a nice new bumper it would take the sting out of what happened a little but at the same time I am a college student fulltime, so the cheaper the better. But I also work fulltime, so if I can end up with something really nice that would be awesome.

Anyways, any advice on these options would be great. I'm trying to research oem replacement options and custom options, I'm not sure how much it would actually cost to do :(

Thanks everyone!

Attachments

·
David
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nope I haven't this happened in my dorm parking lot. There aren't any cameras or anything. Am I still supposed to? I haven't told my parents yet, I pay the car payments myself, but I'm under their insurance so I wanted to figure out which route I was going first :(

thanks for the response

·
///Multiple
4,525 Posts
nope I haven't this happened in my dorm parking lot. There aren't any cameras or anything. Am I still supposed to? I haven't told my parents yet, I pay the car payments myself, but I'm under their insurance so I wanted to figure out which route I was going first :(

thanks for the response
You're on your Dad's insurance? Call him first.

·
If in doubt...go flat out
151 Posts
File the police report...keep your eyes peeled. Happened to me years ago and each day I'd walk my apartment complex parking lot...about 4 days later I found the culprit.
In my case I had some evidence- thank goodness.
He claimed it wasn't his car until I showed him the piece of black trim that matched his damaged bumper and the paint off of my car on his bumper- BASTARD!

Check with your folks and let them know what happened- see what their deductible is and what they'd like to do.

Sorry man- I know it sucks...it's like getting sucker punched in the gut when you come out and see that!

J

·
Bimmerdex 7.4!
11,164 Posts
You're on your Dad's insurance? Call him first.
Ditto. Then Dad should call his agent. In the meantime the OP has suffered damage and a police report is in order. They may or may not come out on an after-the-fact claim but the call will be documented. No doubt the insurance company will require it.
OP, yes, this would be a good time to upgrade your bumper, but expect to pay the difference. A body shop might work with you on a larger claim but this one is small stuff. Your car will eventually be as good as new so don't worry about it.:D Unfortunately it is going to cost you the deductible.:(

·
David
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wait so if I pay the deductible I can get a new bumper? I thought they would just try to fix it or something. Sorry for being dumb, I just haven't experienced something like this before. Oh and I'm about to file a police report.

·
Not Here Anymore
5,203 Posts
Sorry to be a cry baby, but wow this morning on my way to class I lost it. I don't know exactly what happened but, this is what I think happened. Someone backed up into my car, then opened their door quickly causing it to ding my door, and then either rested their body or something heavy on my hood while examining the hood of my car. That's what I'm guessing at least considering there is a huge dent on the front bumper of my car, a knick on car door, and a dent on my hood. I don't think the door knick or the small dent on the hood matter that much to me at this time, probably because of the massive problem on my bumper. I've looked around for other cars that might have scratches that match mine, but most people have trucks with huge chrome bumpers and stuff :(

Anyways, so I guess what I'm asking is what should I do,

Report it to my insurance?

Fix it at a collision shop?

Order an Oem replacement bumper?

Or Order a nice custom one?

The way I see it is if it only cost's a little more to get a brand new bumper or even a brand new custom one maybe I should go that route. I'm really not sure, I'm thinking getting a painted one is going to cost a lot more. I don't wanna blow a bunch of money but I think if I get a nice new bumper it would take the sting out of what happened a little but at the same time I am a college student fulltime, so the cheaper the better. But I also work fulltime, so if I can end up with something really nice that would be awesome.

Anyways, any advice on these options would be great. I'm trying to research oem replacement options and custom options, I'm not sure how much it would actually cost to do :(

Thanks everyone!
Ouch! That's harsh. People are idiots.

I had a similar situation where I came out of a restaurant to find my drivers side window smashed in along with a dent in the door. Total damage to repair was ~$1,300. I carry a $1,000 deductible and wondered if it would be worth filing a claim. I spoke with my agent and they said it would be covered under the comprehensive part of my insurance. Thus no increase in insurance rate. I ended up paying $1,000 out of pocket and the insurance company picked up the rest. The insurance company did not increase my rates as a result.

·
Bimmerdex 7.4!
11,164 Posts
OP, here's how it works. It's easy if you have the title, harder if the bank does. An insurance adjuster will come and look at the car. He will figure out what it will cost to fix it. If you agree (and it's hard not to, he's the expert) the insurance company will cut you a check. You take that check to the body shopof your own choosing and get them to give you a quote including an upgraded bumper or gold plating or whatever. You pay the difference between the check and the body shop bill.
If the bank has the title you are going to find that the check is made out to either them or a body shop. The bank wants to make sure that their collateral is kept in top condition. You can still get the bling from the body shop but you have to work a side deal.

·
Officially Contaminated
3,052 Posts
OP, here's how it works. It's easy if you have the title, harder if the bank does. An insurance adjuster will come and look at the car. He will figure out what it will cost to fix it. If you agree (and it's hard not to, he's the expert) the insurance company will cut you a check. You take that check to the body shopof your own choosing and get them to give you a quote including an upgraded bumper or gold plating or whatever. You pay the difference between the check and the body shop bill.
If the bank has the title you are going to find that the check is made out to either them or a body shop. The bank wants to make sure that their collateral is kept in top condition. You can still get the bling from the body shop but you have to work a side deal.
When I take out a deer on my drive to work I am totally getting a diamond plated hood and bumper. Is your shop capable of pulling that off? :eeps:

·
BMWCCA 149159
2,876 Posts
Call your dad, explain what happened. Call the police and see if it is better to come to the station or let them come there to fill the report out. Documentation is key. Also this isn't an accident, this looks to me to be done deliberately. There are haters out there of people with nice well kept cars not just BMWs.
I know you can't pick where you park in a dorm parking lot but you can try to park as defensively as possible...

·
Bimmerdex 7.4!
11,164 Posts
OP, that damage was done by a student driving a 1998 Ford Ranger, 2 wheel drive, with a painted step and tow bumper. It happened when they were backing up. Look for a pickup with a vintage "Oilers" decal in the window and beercans in the bed.

·
Doing the best I can
1,123 Posts
OP, that damage was done by a student driving a 1998 Ford Ranger, 2 wheel drive, with a painted step and tow bumper. It happened when they were backing up. Look for a pickup with a vintage "Oilers" decal in the window and beercans in the bed.
Houston Oilers, right?

Attachments

·
David
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
lol dx machina you had me going until the beercan part, and your location.

Anyways did a police report, told my dad, called the insurance, and got a quote.

So now I can go new bumper shopping any advice on a reputable source of some nice 330i custom bumpers?

Thanks everyone!

·
David
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Bimmerdex 7.4!
11,164 Posts
Lots of info on different boards about these parts. BavAuto is not too far from my home and I've been there many times. Very helpful people selling top quality parts. Call them directly tomorrow to discuss your options.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.