BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I've bought a car with problems, trying to solve them.
Now I'm stuck with problem with SZL codes.
INPA reads ''94CD'' and ''94D8'' codes.
Can anyone please specify what these codes refer to? What is giving the error?
I can't find any good information.
Car: e61, 2005, 3.0d, 160kw,
VIN - CR17482

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Hello,
I've bought a car with problems, trying to solve them.
Now I'm stuck with problem with SZL codes.
INPA reads ''94CD'' and ''94D8'' codes.
Can anyone please specify what these codes refer to? What is giving the error?
I can't find any good information.
Car: e61, 2005, 3.0d, 160kw,
VIN - CR17482

Airbag codes.. You could try and reset the "system time".

Attachments

·
Resident Curmudgeon
26,385 Posts
I mean a bad SZL module will do that.... have you verifiied the SZL is working perfectly? If it has open circuits, the airbag system will trip codes - basicall saying 'not connected'

What HAVE you done to narrow it down??

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Airbag codes.. You could try and reset the "system time".
Thanks, I will try it. But not sure if my winkfp is working.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I mean a bad SZL module will do that.... have you verifiied the SZL is working perfectly? If it has open circuits, the airbag system will trip codes - basicall saying 'not connected'

What HAVE you done to narrow it down??
Is there a way to test SZL?
Well, as I know, these 2 codes are for driver airbag. No other codes. Few weeks ago my horn was'nt working (when pressing, did not check that when buying), I took out airbag, saw, that pins in steering wheel are bit too short and not pressing on horn activating pins (hope You understand what I ment). So I took out airbag, in home added hot glue, come back, connected it back, now horn is working. BUT, when I disconnected airbag, I forgot to disconnect car battery (it was disconnected when I connected airbag). Also connector was really hard to disconnect (airbad from small black box in steering wheel).

After this, tried 2 times to reconnect all connections (with car battery disconnected). No results, I cant clear codes.

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Well, as I know, these 2 codes are for driver airbag. No other codes. Few weeks ago my horn was'nt working (when pressing, did not check that when buying), I took out airbag, saw, that pins in steering wheel are bit too short and not pressing on horn activating pins (hope You understand what I ment). So I took out airbag, in home added hot glue, come back, connected it back, now horn is working. BUT, when I disconnected airbag, I forgot to disconnect car battery (it was disconnected when I connected airbag). Also connector was really hard to disconnect (airbad from small black box in steering wheel).

After this, tried 2 times to reconnect all connections (with car battery disconnected). No results, I cant clear codes.
Reset the system time for the SZL module.

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Will that also update module? I have read, that updating it can cause problems.
No...I updated my module and then had to reset the system time to get rid of the code.

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
On step 5-Open WinKFP (Load SPDaten files google it) - What is meant by Load SPDaten files? I need to open WinKFP and then load SPDaten files to program?
*Sorry, first time using WinKFP.
check this out:

Reactions: Eren1410

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So.. I tried to go different way. Bought new SMG module from scrapjard. Replaced my old one, cleared codes with INPA, SMG module errors dissapeared (I also solwed szl module errors).
But now I got new error, 93C1. I thought its because of wrong VIN. So I took WinKFP and followed some giude videos, to program my VIN number. Did it, cleared errors with INPA, all gone.
5 seconds later, restrain systems pops back up again, also airbag lights with DSC light on dash. And SMG module reads 93BC and 93BD codes. Any help?

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
So.. I tried to go different way. Bought new SMG module from scrapjard. Replaced my old one, cleared codes with INPA, SMG module errors dissapeared (I also solwed szl module errors).
But now I got new error, 93C1. I thought its because of wrong VIN. So I took WinKFP and followed some giude videos, to program my VIN number. Did it, cleared errors with INPA, all gone.
5 seconds later, restrain systems pops back up again, also airbag lights with DSC light on dash. And SMG module reads 93BC and 93BD codes. Any help?
You have to reset the system time for this module.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Does car battery really needs to be connected to power supply/ charger, as its mentioned on step 11?
Yes. I used a fully charged battery and a battery charger (not a trickle charger/battery maintainer). I kept a multimeter connected to the jump port under the hood so I could see the voltage was atleast above 12.5 Volts. I was able tp successfully get it done that way.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
26,385 Posts

Ive used a voltmeter to test individual circuits through the clockspring to determine if it has failed.

This compulsion to diagnose and fix car ENTIRELY with computers and software seems ill advised.

Honestly, computers and modules dont 'forget' their programming. Its more common for electromechanical bits to fail...

I mean if there is an airbag connection through the clockspring, and that is intermitatnt, it WILL give you a permanent SRS error....

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes. I used a fully charged battery and a battery charger (not a trickle charger/battery maintainer). I kept a multimeter connected to the jump port under the hood so I could see the voltage was atleast above 12.5 Volts. I was able tp successfully get it done that way.
Battery charger is better to connect under the hood or to the battery it self - in trunk?
Also - how long time it takes?

·
Registered
2006 530xi 6 MT
5,572 Posts
Connect under the hood.

The main purpose of connecting the charger when programming is to make sure there is no possibility of too low a voltage during programming and that possibly causing an issue with the programming, such as a failed module.

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Connect under the hood.

The main purpose of connecting the charger when programming is to make sure there is no possibility of too low a voltage during programming and that possibly causing an issue with the programming, such as a failed module.
Yes connect under the hood "always". (y)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.