BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been waiting 6 months on this first ED trip, and finally the bags are packed! My wife and I have been percolating the wealth of advice from this website...it's been a tremendous help!

We decided to upgrade to business class (being over 40 now, the economy class is a bit too tough any more), and it turns out that American Airlines could give us flights for less than Lufthansa (even with the BMW ED special 75% off for wife) plus hotel deals for about $135 a night at four and five star hotels (I am sure this can be beaten if one's timing is right on priceline and travelocity---but, we decided to lock back in February). AA has a 62" add-up-sides-of-luggage limit, allowing 2 checked bags and one carry-on per person, so I packed 2 Ogio rolling duffels of clothes for 2 weeks (wife chose Land's End rollling duffels for around $135 a piece).

I will carry the computer (for maps, directions, picture sharing...etc). She chose a backpack carry-on packed with the following items: reading material, earphones, digital camera, Sony PSP, Beewang's Europe Nav CD, wet ones, toilet paper, shaving cream (she's American), soap bar, shampoo, hairbrush(Target has a nice travelling section for small vials of this stuff)....what am I forgetting?...Oh, a quick change of clothes for the airport in Munich, because we are arriving at 0800 there, and will be proceeding directly to the Delivery Center.

Then, we take the 545i to see Schloss Neuschwanstein (Dad says not to miss it), returning to Munich by the evening to stay at Le Meridien. More later... :eeps:

·
Have a world-class day
756 Posts
okiemark said:
I've been waiting 6 months on this first ED trip, and finally the bags are packed! My wife and I have been percolating the wealth of advice from this website...it's been a tremendous help!

We decided to upgrade to business class (being over 40 now, the economy class is a bit too tough any more), and it turns out that American Airlines could give us flights for less than Lufthansa (even with the BMW ED special 75% off for wife) plus hotel deals for about $135 a night at four and five star hotels (I am sure this can be beaten if one's timing is right on priceline and travelocity---but, we decided to lock back in February). AA has a 62" add-up-sides-of-luggage limit, allowing 2 checked bags and one carry-on per person, so I packed 2 Ogio rolling duffels of clothes for 2 weeks (wife chose Land's End rollling duffels for around $135 a piece).

I will carry the computer (for maps, directions, picture sharing...etc). She chose a backpack carry-on packed with the following items: reading material, earphones, digital camera, Sony PSP, Beewang's Europe Nav CD, wet ones, toilet paper, shaving cream (she's American), soap bar, shampoo, hairbrush(Target has a nice travelling section for small vials of this stuff)....what am I forgetting?...Oh, a quick change of clothes for the airport in Munich, because we are arriving at 0800 there, and will be proceeding directly to the Delivery Center.

Then, we take the 545i to see Schloss Neuschwanstein (Dad says not to miss it), returning to Munich by the evening to stay at Le Meridien. More later... :eeps:
It sounds like you are way over prepared for this trip, but that is good it makes your life easier. Travelling light makes life easier specially if you are taking the train to the delivery center and have to haul all that extra luggage, it is a fairly short walk but with extra luggage it can feel longer. One word of advice which may be too late now but would make life easier. They recommend buying tickets prior to visiting the castles. I hear in summer peak months the lines just to purchase the tickets are over an 1 hr long. I did purchase my tickets in advance but made it an hour late and they still let me into the next time slot. It was March then which was not as busy. Beware of changing clothes prior to exiting customs, it can raise suspicions with airport police. Do it once you pass customs. Good luck and have a lifetime experience.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Don't forget sleep!!!

Flying Biz, you may get some rest but if you're planning a full day upon arrival, you'll need some rest - don't forget some earplugs and eyeshades just in case AA biz doesn't stock them in their amenity kits. If you're a light sleeper, Ambien or another sleep aid may help but take it early in the flight.
Not sure of AA's partnerships with other airlines but we usually fly United. As part of the Star Alliance, they'd let you into the Lufthansa Senators/Business CLubs with showers (not to mention Löwenbraü and Spatan on tap :D), where you can hit the showers. All this is before baggage claim - I wouldn't worry to much about this raising suspicions with customs unless there is another reason you don't want too.

Regarding Neuschwannstein - be prepared for the crowds. Echoing what yam said, you should try and buy the tix online if you have a pretty good idea of what time you'll be there.
http://www.hohenschwangau.de/ticketcenter.0.html

·
Registered
185 Posts
Make sure to tell Rep In ED Center That this is your first BMW and have them spend some time with you and the car Operations IE NAV, Radio, AC functions. It will save you a lot of grief and keep the MS happy as well. They just threw the keys at me and my 545 and I had to go to a local BMW to have them show me how to operate the car. PS the NAV system has a great feature for your wife. It will tell you where the nearest Shopping center is Way COOOOOL :angel: Enjoy your trip We had a great time in the end of MAY

Brian

·
Have a world-class day
756 Posts
http://www.hohenschwangau.de/552.0.html
Here is the website for the castle ticket reservations. I echo what was mentioned above regarding the ED center spending more time. My guy told me espeed limits, the emergency jacket required in some european countries, and toll stickers required. I pretty much learned the NAV on the fly. Very important info.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts