BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received in the mail the notice confirming the ED pick-up date, production number and vehicle specs. Everything looks good.

Also got the complimentary European Delivery Orange travel/desk clock and alarm. It's the thought that counts. Besides, my daughter asked if she can have it because the orange reminds her of the Tennessee Vols.

Travel date July 30th, with ED on August 1st. I need to look purtty for pick-up.
ED of 2006 750Li, Kalahari Beige. Looking forward to playing with the Active Cruise Control. I need the adaptive ride just keep the weight of all the luggage (not mine; wife and three daughters) from pushing down the rear.
2 week itenerary: Munich, Innsbruck, Salzburg, Vienna and back to Munich, and any number of detours along the way.

I believe the rule is pics within 12 hours, right? Anything else? Obligatory number of beers, etc.?

I will post to this thread starting in a week. Wish me luck (traveling with a car full of women). I guess I should let my wife have a turn at the wheel. Sigh!

Cheers,

·
Freude am Fahren
19,698 Posts
Wow, I guess my countdown is starting now also with a departure the evening of the 29th (pickup the car on the 31st).

Still trying to decide where to go, but am considering driving down to Trieste and then to Budapest. Ah, the unknown.

·
Beemin' in my Bimmer ;-)
3,585 Posts
Happy travels to you all. Look forward to your future posts and pics. :beerchug:

·
Happily Driving
7,201 Posts
mdsbuc said:
Happy travels to you all. Look forward to your future posts and pics. :beerchug:
+1 :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Like Captn' Jack Saidz.... +2 Ahrrrrr

mdsbuc said:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Jspira said:
Wow, I guess my countdown is starting now also with a departure the evening of the 29th (pickup the car on the 31st).

Still trying to decide where to go, but am considering driving down to Trieste and then to Budapest. Ah, the unknown.
JSPIRA: what are you EDing?

·
BMW Fahrer
4,674 Posts
TopGun said:
Anything else? Obligatory number of beers, etc.?
A good place to start is 4-5 per evening... :D

I'm not sure there is an official bimmerfest guideline, it would probably have to be based on your body mass...

adc
03 330 ZHP
05 X3 3.0 ED

·
Beemin' in my Bimmer ;-)
3,585 Posts
adc said:
A good place to start is 4-5 per evening... :D
Most of us would like to remember our ED trip though. :beerchug:

·
friend of the marque
4,943 Posts
Top-

Congrats on your trip and rolling it into a family affair.
My '09 ED will be just that since my girls will be penty old enough (7 & 8)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
T-Minus 5 Days and Counting

I thought I would throw in a teaser pic.

The truth is in the middle of night I discovered that I have never posted to this forum before and really didn't know how. And it would drive my wife and daughter crazy if I scrambled to figure it out in a hotel room during the first day of our vacation. One becomes smarter after 16 years of marriage.:thumbup:

So, I wanted to do a test run. Always be prepared!

Attachments

·
Beemin' in my Bimmer ;-)
3,585 Posts
TopGun said:
I thought I would throw in a teaser pic.

The truth is in the middle of night I discovered that I have never posted to this forum before and really didn't know how. And it would drive my wife and daughter crazy if I scrambled to figure it out in a hotel room during the first day of our vacation. One becomes smarter after 16 years of marriage.:thumbup:

So, I wanted to do a test run. Always be prepared!
OK, nice start. Now with the short time you have left before departure (and since you don't have anything else to do) just work on getting the picture larger so we can see it. :D

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Ditto! :rofl:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Finally...ED Pick Up Day!

Rolff was great. He patiently waited for a delayed Air France flight yesterday and drove us to the hotel. We used his service for the pick-up early today also.
Sebastien was our ED advisor. Nice guy. Let me take my time. My familyl thinks I am nuts (and Sebastien said I am the first one he knows of) because I packed my old rubber floor mats and brought them to ED. The thinking was the forecast was going to be raining off and on all week here, and we were going to go some outdoor hiking in the Alps. They were heavy as heck...but I checked them in. And guess what, it's raining today.:cry: Conveniently, the rain stopped during pick-up. Ahhh...someone cares.

So, here I am pick-up with the pics plus 4 hours after ED while the family is having lunch in the room. Disappointing that the ArabellaSheraton Bogenhausen doesn't have Internet in the room. I'm sitting in the lobby. Am I nuts?

Thanks everyone for all the information and suggestions to make this so smooth. There were no surprises.

You should visit the largest BMW dealer in Germany afterwards. It's just down the road from the ED. Picked up the safety vests for Austria and the vignettes also from ADAC across the street.

Trip pics to follow.

P.S. Beer last night was great. I forgot how nice and quickly a litre of nice ale can disappear. Ahhhh!

Attachments

·
Beemin' in my Bimmer ;-)
3,585 Posts
Congrats on the ED! The car looks beautiful and the pics are GREAT! Nice and BIG. Looks like you've been practicing in your spare time. :D Here's wishing you a great time on your trip. :beerchug: We look forward to hearing all about it! :thumbup:

TopGun said:
P.S. Beer last night was great. I forgot how nice and quickly a litre of nice ale can disappear. Ahhhh!
Now I am really envious. :( :D

·
Banned
586 Posts
Nice ride, thx for the pics and have a great time in Europe:thumbup:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am sneaking an entry while the family is still asleep.

This first ED is about the good, bad and the ugly.
The weather has sucked. Along the Munich to Innsbruck to Salzburg and now Vienna journey....shower or rain. The good news is this car is rock solid at 100mph in the rain, and I was going slow. Very cool.
Being adverturous and taking the side road were definitely part of the fun. With a GPS, the small roads that you would not think go anywhere are some of the most fun driving through the hills. To make up time, go back on A1.
A1 from Munich to Vienna is scattered with summer construction. Sections up to 10km of narrow slow traffic. One lane has only a 2 meter width. The manual has my car at 1.9 meter without the mirror and 2.1 with the mirrors out. I did manage to squeeze by a few trucks. Phew!
The car itself rides well, but in Europe, anywhere in the city streets AND parking lots, and this car is HUGE. Got to know your corners and turning points. The first clue was when my spec sheet had 750 Li limosine written as the title of the vehicle.
First use of the EDC...perceivable difference between the Sport and Comfort setting. Nice compromise for not getting the sports edition. A bit of both nice worlds.
The ACC worked great. In the beginning, I would hover my foot over the brake, but it was reliable, even in rain and fog. Along A1, it handled cruising at 90mph and taking it down to 40-50mph during the construction sections, modulating as necessary while preserving the distance. The only time the behavior was abrupt was when someone cut in front. Normally, I would coast and allow a little closer distance while the merged car accelerated and separated; ACC would brake earlier than I would. Otherwise, the modulation is gradual. Very cool.
Rear comfort seats...the girls love them. No complaints while I drove the Alps.
Four days in Vienna and back to Munich to finish off the ED.

Details to follow.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts