Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think about the upcoming Tablet PC generation ?

They are lighter than most of the normal laptops. The Crusoe processors eat up less battery than any laptop on the market. Someone I know is using it with Bluetooth running for about 5 hours non-stop.

The coolest part is, you can use it either with keyboard or with a stylus :)

http://www.paceblade.com

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dog said:
i think it's nice and all, but we're better off as just friends
You don't need to be my foe if you ever own one ;)

·
TMS
9,288 Posts
Seems to be an answer to a question nobody is asking. It's bigger and heavier than a subnotebook (9x13x1+, 4 pounds and I suspect that does not include the keyboard, compared to a Dell at 9x11x<1" and 3 pounds). What's the point?

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are lots of success stories where people thought same at the beginning : "Ugh, who needs something like that ?"

Warehouses and Inventory Management comes to my mind. You still need a mouse to work on a notebook or a subnotebook effectively, where with a Tablet PC you just use the pen to make entries, take notes etc.

Isn't it a point ?

·
TMS
9,288 Posts
People are already using PDA's for those applications. This device seems like a hybrid between a PDA and a PC. It's much larger than a PDA, and the specs make it seem less capable than the smaller Dell subnotebook I contrasted it with. If there's a compelling feature there, I'm not seeing it.

·
•••••••
16,118 Posts
Aside from color, the Newton I had five years ago could do most everything this can do. :dunno:

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Plaz said:
Aside from color, the Newton I had five years ago could do most everything this can do. :dunno:
Yep, Newton was an awesome device. Don't know why they discontinued it.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
IMO - you get a lot less for a lot more $$... at this point it's not worth it.

As far as the digitizers go, they suck to date. They are jittery and reduce the brightness of the screen because of the coatings.

If you have ever used Pen OS for handwriting recognition, it's not perfect and takes a good bit of training to get the software to respond right.

As far as industrial uses, tablet PCs (such as the one shown in your post or as spec'd by MS) would last about a day in the field... cracked LCDs, cases and crashed hard drives for starters.

My wife is an EE and for the past 6 years has developed 4 generations of ruggedized tablets for industrial use. Starting with a 486 to the current PIIIm she has been the head engineer in a 3 engineer department. In that time I have seen these problems and more that I listed. How about crashed hard drives from a delivery truck idling... yup, the resonant frequency of s diesel engine can crash a hard drive when docked in the truck. Cracked LCDs? yup, insurance companies were the worst... agents in the field not wanting to get their pants dirty when looking under a car for instance would kneel on the tablet!

Well anyway, I guess time will tell if the idea catches hold for consumer use.. but remember the idea has been around for many years already.

·
•••••••
16,118 Posts
Alex Baumann said:

Yep, Newton was an awesome device. Don't know why they discontinued it.
Because it was a living representation of the policies/ideas of John Sculley, and Steve Jobs HATED John Sculley.

You see, Sculley had Jobs booted from Apple... so when Steve came back, he removed any and all things Sculley. :dunno:

·
Super Moderator
11,052 Posts
Having used a few prototypes, I can say the Tablet PC is one of the more promising technologies coming out.

Most important is for vertical applications which require full PC functionality. It is not a PDA -- it is a full Windows XP platform with pen extensions. When you're done with your vertical applications, you can use it as a regular desktop or laptop (in the case of Acer). Makes a great business case.

The Tablet PC also works admirably well as a note taking platform as well. When I played with it last, the character recognition wasn't as mature as it needed to be, but it worked extremely well as a digital ink platform.

I give it a big :thumbup:

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
alee said:

I give it a big :thumbup:
Time to invest in it then. Al's word is good enough for me:)

·
Super Moderator
11,052 Posts
Here's the Acer one:

Tablet Mode:

Notebook Mode:

The screen rotates around to allow for switching between Tablet mode for vertical applications, and Laptop mode for data entry intensive applications:

·
Into the dark ages
1,523 Posts
IBM Transnote

i think this is probably the best of both worlds...

a notebook computer with a notepad on the side that can transcribe whatever u write onto the paper right onto the computer screen as well. and with the right hand writing recognition s/ware it can convert ur scribbles into typed letters as well.

http://www.research.ibm.com/thinkresearch/pages/2001/20010515_transnote.shtml

1 - 14 of 14 Posts