Bimmerfest BMW banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 225 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my car today and honestly, I love EVERYTHING about it. No problems what so ever, knock on wood. Brakes are perfect, no odd noises, car handles beautifully. The only thing I noticed is that even at a complete stop, the tachometer needle is never at 0 or close to 0 RPMs. At a complete stop, the needle's just under 1. Is this normal?

·
Using SPF 45
3,669 Posts
X kelliente X said:
I got my car today and honestly, I love EVERYTHING about it. No problems what so ever, knock on wood. Brakes are perfect, no odd noises, car handles beautifully. The only thing I noticed is that even at a complete stop, the tachometer needle is never at 0 or close to 0 RPMs. At a complete stop, the needle's just under 1. Is this normal?
Yes. It means the engine is running. It's not a golf cart.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My mom's car (S500) and my dad's car (GS430) both are pretty close to 0 even when the car's running. As long as it's normal though. Thanks :)

·
Banned
0 Posts
X kelliente X said:

The tach should only hit zero when the engine is off. :)

·
Registered
1,861 Posts

·
Using SPF 45
3,669 Posts
X kelliente X said:
My mom's car (S500) and my dad's car (GS430) both are pretty close to 0 even when the car's running. As long as it's normal though. Thanks :)
Is that the Mercedes/Lexus equivalent of the BMW temperature gauge?

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
I've personally found that my car runs much better if the idle speed is above 0. ;)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Tanning machine said:
:rofl:

·
Donkeybike?
3,680 Posts
X kelliente X said:
Let me guess, you learned to drive and get your license with their cars and you just got this one and have no previous experience driving BMWs? :dunno:

·
BMW + twisty road = fun
5,886 Posts
RPM (revolutions per minute) the rate of revolution of a motor.
When the car is stopped the motor is still running.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Tanning machine said:
:rofl: That made my day. Thanks!

·
Registered
132 Posts
X kelliente X said:
Hmm... I'd look again. My guess is that you forgot. It's impossible for the RPM to be close to zero while the engine is running in any of these cars.

·
flBM
132 Posts
Normal RPM should be between 600 and 700 which is considered normal idle! Anything over or under would mean the car requires a tune up!!

·
Registered
209 Posts
No, you guys are all wrong.

You should take it to the dealer and tell them about the problem, it could be a very serious issue. Or even better, call BMWNA.

·
only one screen name
8,456 Posts
Huezo said:
No, you guys are all wrong.

You should take it to the dealer and tell them about the problem, it could be a very serious issue. Or even better, call BMWNA.

and tape the call... pllllleeeease :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 - 20 of 225 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.