BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
my right tail light has completely stopped working i just bought the car the dealership wanted to add 300$ to the price to fix it .... they told me i need a new connector and tail light is there anyway around this i would like to do it myself for cheaper

my turn signal works when it wants to as well. it seems to stop when it rains but the brake running light or reverse dont work ever.

i read online this is a common problem ? i tested the connecter and sure enough everything is corroded ... i hooked it up to my meter and got 12 volts on the 4 pins (running light , brake light turn and reverse) and the 5th pin is ground and the 6 is empty. (not that exact order i think 2 is the empty one) how ever when i tested the ground pin i only got 10 volts back on that .... could it be i just have a bad ground or is the whole taillight fried and new connector as well.

where would i be able to find the connector ... i found the taillight online for about 120 $ ... i know how to solder and so forth

·
Registered
623 Posts
RR tail light assembly failure is very common on E39 cars.

I just paid $580 at the Stealer for a new tail light assembly / wiring due to corrosion ('03 525i).
I assume this has a lot to do with the battery being on the right side (accelerates corrosion).

Total pain in the a$$, but it's gotta be done!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
beat.... i found oem used tail light for like 100 but how much do you think that connector will be from bmw ?

anyone else have luck finding taillights cheap

·
Registered
15,746 Posts
It was unclear as to which connector was corroded. If it is the one between the wiring harness and the taillight assembly, the easiest thing would be to get another assembly from a junker, and also the mating connector from the harness, and splice it into your harness. Then replace the assembly.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea its the connector that connecting to the assembly .... i was thinking about splicing a new one in but i have had trouble finding them online .... i can find the assembly no problem just not the connector

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well i went to the stealership and got a quote on full repair.... came somewhere to 500 and something (20 for connector 300 for taillight and $150 labor )
bought the connector and new wire came to 22 with tax ... soldier everything in myself and i had a fully functional tailight again =] .... so a $500 repair turned into a $20 one thank god
Also i cauclked of the taillight so no more more water can get in

·
1HTBMW
162 Posts
Well I just got this problem, so can it only be the wiring harness between the light assembly and teh connector, or is there another one that I should check. I inspected them but couldn't see any corrosion. Before I go and buy random parts want to get some input. Thank you in advance.

·
I gotta have more cowbell
895 Posts
I had good results spraying off the socket and bulb contacts with Radio Shack contact cleaner and wiggling the bulb in the socket.

·
1HTBMW
162 Posts
the only problem is ztom that the whole assembly doesnt light up. so its not the bulbs...

·
Registered
15,460 Posts
1+,

I re-read the Original Post.
Undo the connector and clean it and see what happens.
A connector is very cheap.

·
Technical Graphite > ALL
446 Posts
I've had an ever weirder problem with my RR tail. The brake and running lights both work fine, but the display on the dash indicates that it is out. Thoughts?

·
1HTBMW
162 Posts
Just got off the phone with the dealer,
The connector is $24.15
and 6 Wires cost $5.70 each ($34.20)
Is the wire just normal electrical wire?cant you just splice it into the existing wiring? I am under the impression that the conector itself is the problem.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
your dealership is ripping you off i got quotes somethings like $18 for wires and connector but i recommending getting the wires it has new connectors that slide right into connector pre solder and everything ... you just connect the wires and plug it in and everything should work just wiggle the connector if somethings cut in and out

·
Registered
382 Posts
I would say, replacing the tail lights is one of the easiest DIY in the e39. Remove it by yourself, see what the problem is & search for the required parts.

Remember to use silicon after reinstalling the light. The problem might be due to water leakage which is common on the e39 tail lights.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts