BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Tail light question Need help!

829 Views 7 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  ken1967work
The passenger side tail light and turn signal stopped working this morning. When I left work, they were working again, the stopped working again before I got home. I have a 2001xi and I noticed a weird clicking noise coming from the glove box area this morning. Anybody have an idea what the problem could be? And how to fix it? I called Foreign Performance here in town, and they want to refer me to the stealership to check for a recall. The recall doesn't cover my year model.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
The center soldered contact is making intermittent contact. I had the same problem. The bulb is good, but the contact has been compressed by the spring over the years. Now, you can get a new bulb or add solder to the existing one. :thumbup:

I don't know anything about the clicking noise from the glove box.
I just wonder if that clicking noise is a relay? It also seemed like the headlights pulsated to the clicking sound. I don't know what to make of it. Other than it's annoying, and the Indy shop keeps referring me to the dealership for a possible recall.
I'll have my husband replace the bulb. Hopefully that's all it is. :)
The center soldered contact is making intermittent contact. I had the same problem. The bulb is good, but the contact has been compressed by the spring over the years. Now, you can get a new bulb or add solder to the existing one. :thumbup:

I don't know anything about the clicking noise from the glove box.
I had the same problem with my left front turn signal and I cleaned the bottom of the light bulb which is made with lead all you do is use sand paper to clean it a little then inside of the connection and look at the inside to pull the flat spring out a little too. Also put some electrical lube to keep it from corrosion to appear.
isnt the fuse box like above the glove box? could the clicking be from that?
Yeah its the blinker fuse open your glove box and insaide on the top their is two white screws turn them half way and the lid should drop down with the fuses and put your blinker on and listen.
Bulb

The passenger side tail light and turn signal stopped working this morning. When I left work, they were working again, the stopped working again before I got home. I have a 2001xi and I noticed a weird clicking noise coming from the glove box area this morning. Anybody have an idea what the problem could be? And how to fix it? I called Foreign Performance here in town, and they want to refer me to the stealership to check for a recall. The recall doesn't cover my year model.
Sound like a fuse about to go Bad, Check the fuse box, You might need a flashlight because the numbers are hard to see. Open the glove box and pull the white tabs to open box then look close.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.