BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last evening when driving back home, the tail light indicator came on and I discovered that my rear tail ligt had got fused. I think the backup light was still ok. After driving 20 miles back home, I found that the backup light had got fused too. Any idea on:

1. What is happening?
2. Would this be covered under waranty?
3. Can this be easily replaced without a trip to the dealer?

Thx in advance.

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
ayonbaner said:
Last evening when driving back home, the tail light indicator came on and I discovered that my rear tail ligt had got fused. I think the backup light was still ok. After driving 20 miles back home, I found that the backup light had got fused too. Any idea on:

1. What is happening?
2. Would this be covered under waranty?
3. Can this be easily replaced without a trip to the dealer?

Thx in advance.
1) Lights go out all the time...Have you recently worked on your tail light? I've read that fingerprints and grease shorten the life of halogen lights but not regular filament lightbulbs. Could be wrong.

2) Yes.

3) Yes...In fact, the bulbs are like a buck each, I'd just buy it and replace it myself...Just make sure you get the right wattage bulbs for the right socket. Otherwise one of your tail lights will look brighter than the other and it'll trigger the alarm on your dash.

As far as why the 2nd light went out, it may just be coincedence.

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
Replacing the bulbs should be covered in the user's manual. You might want to check before posting ;)

Change the bulbs and wait a while. If problem reoccurs have it the dealer checked.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Alex Baumann said:
Replacing the bulbs should be covered in the user's manual. You might want to check before posting ;)
As a matter of fact, it IS in the manual. I found that yesterday because one of my taillights died on me too. I'm just getting it replaced on the 17th when I take my car in for Inspection I.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.