BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been reading this forum for about a month, and used a lot of the info to pick out our new Bimmer. We recently picked up a 2012 X5d. Love the car, but just last night, the tailgate wouldn't open. It will raise about an inch then closes back own again. Somehow I got it to work once last night, however its back to it's old tricks today. Definitely a pain in the ass not being able to get in the trunk! Any ideas, I can't get it into the shop for a while.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 121K miles NOKIAN WR G3 30K miles
23,993 Posts
Is the opening height in Settings set to a reasonable level?

·
Prof. of Pending Projects
371 Posts
Is the lower section firmly secured? Latched/closed correctly?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Is something sticking and pulling against it that might make it feel resistance and think it hit something? I had a loose gasket / rubber weather seal on the bottom edge of the upper tailgate cause me opening / closing confusion.

·
Registered
2001 M5, 2020 x7, 2022 x3 m40
28 Posts
Had the exact same problem with mine- it was a failed passenger side spindle drive (the motorized thing that looks like a strut).

For a while it worked intermittently with a very slight grinding sound if it opened successfully (and I mean slight, had to listen carefully). After failure it will open an inch and pause, then close. I could close and reopen again and again, same thing, one inch. I might try for 10 minutes and then maybe get lucky and it would go up.

Have your shop check the codes, I had a fault at the broken one and too much power going to the opposite spindle (as it tries to do the work of 2).

Not cheap parts but a very easy repair, looks like you'd still be under warranty though so no worries.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Been reading this forum for about a month, and used a lot of the info to pick out our new Bimmer. We recently picked up a 2012 X5d. Love the car, but just last night, the tailgate wouldn't open. It will raise about an inch then closes back own again. Somehow I got it to work once last night, however its back to it's old tricks today. Definitely a pain in the ass not being able to get in the trunk! Any ideas, I can't get it into the shop for a while.
I had kind off the same issue. The dealer always going to say are the struts and you need new ones. they are $380 each + labor. If you don't have warranty is not hard to change them yourself. Here is my vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jx3NoOhW6Y8

·
Registered
2001 M5, 2020 x7, 2022 x3 m40
28 Posts
If they say it's the struts tell them to turn the car around. You have struts under the hood, not on the trunk ;-)

If you are past your warranty and are at all in doubt, ask them to show you the faults.

There's not a lot involved here, spindles, control unit, hinges. The control unit has no moving parts and the hinges are pretty robust. Given that the spindles are the most complex moving component in that system, well Occam's razor comes to mind...

It is a fairly straightforward swap if you are comfortable with basic work.

Remember to tie a string to the old wire on the way out so you have a means of pulling new one in. A few threads on this forum about it. Also-
BMW shop manual is good reference http://workshop-manuals.com/bmw/x_s...ectric_spindle_drive_for_rear_lid_on_left_or/

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks mpoor! You described it exactly. Have an appointment on Friday to have it looked at. Will let everyone know how it turns out.
CCR - What was the fix? I’m having the issue and my research is telling me it’s the gate actuator. I don’t think mine are the spindles as once I pull the emergency lift inside the hatch goes all the way open. No issue. And when I push the button to close it it closes fine. Thanks in advance for an update.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.