BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
I'm gonna check these guys out to see how legit they are since they are in my neck of the woods.

Don't know about the wide body kit but it's got serious stoppers, maybe too big..

·
Registered
337 Posts
its gotta be all show. E36's dont need that much braking power. I have plenty of braking using M3 brakes. I dont see the need for twin calipers, unless each caliper is weak, so they use 2

·
into things retro
4,541 Posts
Looks a lot like an e36 M3 with a Zeemax Widebody kit I saw on ebay. Chuckie is right - my e36 M3 had no trouble stopping. But that was with a lot smaller wheels and tires.

·
Registered
175 Posts
What does, "that is dope" mean?
Means, "That's really cool!", in a somewhat envious tone :)

I really like the color. I saw a photo of a DB6 in Classic and Sportscar in that color. I think Aston called it "Roman Poryphry" or something snooty like that, but "Eggplant" is swell by me and I like it!

Jordan

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Unless those are Formula 1 racing rubbers, I highly doubt ANY BMW can effectively use that kind of stopping power.

The second you tap the brakes it'll activate ABS.

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
chukiechz said:
its gotta be all show. E36's dont need that much braking power. I have plenty of braking using M3 brakes. I dont see the need for twin calipers, unless each caliper is weak, so they use 2
In fact they may have too much brake. If ya cant heat them up then they are not efficient. I guess the thing has a serious stereo setup as well.

·
Registered
595 Posts
sad truth in life:

still buy a "used" e46m3, spend some money to lighten its weight, and still smoke a car like this, probably still have the balance of the warranty, won't experience an engine grenading because of supercharging on a hot day at the track....and still have enough money left over for a spec miata.

20,210 Posts
Re: sad truth in life:

blackdawg said:
still buy a "used" e46m3, spend some money to lighten its weight, and still smoke a car like this, probably still have the balance of the warranty, won't experience an engine grenading because of supercharging on a hot day at the track....and still have enough money left over for a spec miata.
why is that sad?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Re: sad truth in life:

blackdawg said:
an E46 M3 will not smoke a supercharged 3.2.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Re: Re: Re: sad truth in life:

in_d_haus said:

Depends upon the boost of the SC.
Im running relatively low boost (8psi) and I make close to the same power at the wheels than the E46 M3 does at the crank. I've had my torque and power curves plotted against and E46 M3 also, and the curve is higher everywhere on my car compared to it Well, except at 7K, where the S54 gets to go an extra grand.

on a side note too, the dyno is using pump 91 octane gas, and very conservative timing since my car is a daily driver. Someone using 93 octane and agressive timing could easily get more power.

20,210 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: sad truth in life:

chukiechz said:

Im running relatively low boost (8psi) and I make close to the same power at the wheels than the E46 M3 does at the crank. I've had my torque and power curves plotted against and E46 M3 also, and the curve is higher everywhere on my car compared to it Well, except at 7K, where the S54 gets to go an extra grand.

on a side note too, the dyno is using pump 91 octane gas, and very conservative timing since my car is a daily driver. Someone using 93 octane and agressive timing could easily get more power.
don't forget he also stated "lightening the E46's weight"

·
Registered
595 Posts
'raises hand: i.e. objection

first off: if your car isn't intercooled, then this is not even a counterargument, i had a supercharged M coupe formerly, and after awhile heat soak sets in....voila, there goes power at the track.

second off: the power characteristics are such that the S52 is a peaky engine and has a vanos transition at 3800rpms. the centrifugal supercharger exacerbates this issue as peak power is only at near redline, the way it's meant to be. taking a closer look at the power curve, the S54 has more area under the curve because of dual vanos (S52 M's only have exhaust vanos); S54 breathes better because of plumbing plus 6 throttle bodies versus one. add to this the higher redline (by about 1000rpms), and the E46M3 can also take advantage of gearing.

thusly, in a straight line, it's almost a wash, with a nod to the E46M3 because of staying in gear longer the further the dragrace is; on the track the N/Aspirated engines has better torque characteristics and is less prone to lose power due to heat soak/ignition retardation.

that is my educated opinion. i'm not just saying my original comment not knowing what i'm talking about for lack of experience. supercharging S52 motors is a hack kit, i've lived with it for 3 years, and i wouldn't ever go back to it.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: sad truth in life:

atyclb said:

don't forget he also stated "lightening the E46's weight"
you could also lighten an E36 cant you? But I think he's referring to that car inparticular. I dont think it was meant to be a proven "fast" car. Its all for show. Nothing more. He hasnt posted any pics of his supercharger, who's to say he even has one?

20,210 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: sad truth in life:

chukiechz said:

you could also lighten an E36 cant you? But I think he's referring to that car inparticular. I dont think it was meant to be a proven "fast" car. Its all for show. Nothing more. He hasnt posted any pics of his supercharger, who's to say he even has one?
no, not in his scenario

1 - 20 of 25 Posts