BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Resident Curmudgeon
26,385 Posts
Any recommendations on what I should do?
ASSUMING THIS IS AS STRAIGHTFORWARD AS YOU DESCRIBE....

Contact an attorney.

You are not equipped to get anywhere with them.

You say you called corporate and they 'refused to help'.... that process is a few days, did you really lodge a complaint and they contacted the dealer and THEN they refused? If yes, this is beyond just talking on the phone, and sending strong texts.

Spend $500-1000 for an attorney to put them on notice of breach of contract, warranty law violation, etc.

If you terminate the lease they may STILL come after you for 'tampering', if it has impacted the car's value.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Very strange story. If I took my car in the dealership intact and received it in pieces, I wouldn't never take it home. I would leave it at the dealership, inquire about the damages and ask for proofs regarding their accusations. I'm not going to roll over and play dead. And we're talking about a car that is still under warranty.

·
Registered
15 Posts
BMW financial won't take back a leased car that isn't in perfect working condition....I know because I just had to extend the lease bc my car had a coolant leak that took 2 months for the dealership to diagnose and attempt repairs. After 4 unsuccessful attempts at diagnosing the problem, they decided to replace the engine, fortunately still under warranty. I'd contact BMW customer service again, and then the attorney.

·
Registered
Ship Captain of the Ever Given
3,465 Posts
Did you buy this used? Was the car modified? Was this car tuned? There so much missing here. You had to get a repair order copy. What does it say exactly? Post it with your personal info edited out.

FYI mileage is very hard to change on a new BMW and the car/key reports back to BMW servers periodically so they can tell if mileage has been altered.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
26,385 Posts
Its a lease....gotta be a new car from BMW, right?!?

So odd...

·
Registered
Ship Captain of the Ever Given
3,465 Posts
People do all sorts of things with leases. I’ve heard of people swapping parts between cars trying to claim warranty on issues, I’ve seen people swap DMEs and modify the hell out of cars and swap them back before a service visit, the possibilities are unlimited. What is factual is the repair order documentation he received from the dealership which I’m super curious to read. Maybe he didn’t do anything but without all the facts and information it’s hard to know based on one side of the arguement. Voiding a warranty isn’t something that happens for no reason as there is serious legal ramifications involved by a manufacturer not honoring a warranty or expressed warranty. Normally there is clear precedence for the action but I’m open to listen and read if the OP will provide the documents and what BMW has said and done. If this is anything like many one off posters he will drop a bomb with less than 1/2 the info never to be seen again.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
26,385 Posts
Oh, I know.

But someone asked 'is it used'. Not many used BMWs get leased. And from BMW, none. IME.

·
Registered
2002 e39 530i
382 Posts
I hate to go against what this guy is saying about the millage but two things happened here. His millage was going to exceed the lease and he has a buddy that knows a guy that knows a guy that can fix that problem, or it has nothing to do with the millage but rather is exceeding limits (abuse) of the warranty and/or lease. Judging by his comment on
The car smells horrible the engine is making a noise now I can literally see fluid leaking. I haven’t even been able to drive it to my house! It is un driveable!!! I fear the engine will be ruined because I just see fluids leaking.
I'm leaning towards the latter. JMO

·
Resident Curmudgeon
26,385 Posts
or it has nothing to do with the millage but rather is exceeding limits (abuse) of the warranty and/or lease. Judging by his comment on I'm leaning towards the latter. JMO
Say what?

You know something about a hidden BMW 'abuse clause' in leases that nobody else knows?!?

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Not inferring that the OP did this, but 1st thing that came to mind is "driving w/o the instrument cluster connected - thinking that mileage won't increase".....which if this is done AND exceeds a certain mileage, DOES store a fault that may only be read by the Dealer AND cannot be cleared. It may not set the instrument cluster's tamper dot.....

Here in wonderful CA, there is talk about "taxing-based-on-mileage-driven", and my stated activity above will be definitely be a thing.......

[Edit: Back in the day, I tried to hide that I took my Dad's car out and unhooked the speedometer cable from the instrument cluster on a '80 XXXXX, and while it kind of worked, it ended up costing me $500 to fix it later...and this was a mechanical version - Take away? NEVER MESS WITH THE ODOMETER!!!!]

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ASSUMING THIS IS AS STRAIGHTFORWARD AS YOU DESCRIBE....

Contact an attorney.

You are not equipped to get anywhere with them.

You say you called corporate and they 'refused to help'.... that process is a few days, did you really lodge a complaint and they contacted the dealer and THEN they refused? If yes, this is beyond just talking on the phone, and sending strong texts.

Spend $500-1000 for an attorney to put them on notice of breach of contract, warranty law violation, etc.

If you terminate the lease they may STILL come after you for 'tampering', if it has impacted the car's value.
That was one of my options as well. Last one because of the hassle. But I will try to seek one out, thank you. I been back and forth with corporate trying to find a resolution and as time goes on the car is just sitting un driveable I just want it to be over with. Cars not cheap and it’s just sitting wasting money on payments. They did refuse after a week with speaking with the service center which they say is an “independent contractor” even though it’s a Bmw service center. I will look into an attorney.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Not inferring that the OP did this, but 1st thing that came to mind is "driving w/o the instrument cluster connected - thinking that mileage won't increase".....which if this is done AND exceeds a certain mileage, DOES store a fault that may only be read ISTA AND cannot be cleared. It may not set the instrument cluster's tamper dot.....

Here is wonderful CA, there is talk about "taxing-based-on-mileage-driven", and my stated activity above will be definitely be a thing.......

[Edit: Back in the day, I tried to hide that I took my Dad's car out and unhooked the speedometer cable from the instrument cluster on a '80 XXXXX, and while it kind of worked, it ended up costing my $500 to fix it later...and this was a mechanical version - Take away? NEVER MESS WITH THE ODOMETER!!!!]
Yea I have no idea about any of this car tech stuff.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
People do all sorts of things with leases. I’ve heard of people swapping parts between cars trying to claim warranty on issues, I’ve seen people swap DMEs and modify the hell out of cars and swap them back before a service visit, the possibilities are unlimited. What is factual is the repair order documentation he received from the dealership which I’m super curious to read. Maybe he didn’t do anything but without all the facts and information it’s hard to know based on one side of the arguement. Voiding a warranty isn’t something that happens for no reason as there is serious legal ramifications involved by a manufacturer not honoring a warranty or expressed warranty. Normally there is clear precedence for the action but I’m open to listen and read if the OP will provide the documents and what BMW has said and done. If this is anything like many one off posters he will drop a bomb with less than 1/2 the info never to be seen again.
Very strange story. If I took my car in the dealership intact and received it in pieces, I wouldn't never take it home. I would leave it at the dealership, inquire about the damages and ask for proofs regarding their accusations. I'm not going to roll over and play dead. And we're talking about a car that is still under warranty.
Deleting post due to legal reasons.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.